• Latest reply 5 years ago by bonzo71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190214_174504 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I see where people double up on the rings on drop targets. Didn't originally come out that way did they?

20190214_174504 (resized).jpg20190214_174504 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Some games came that way. I know the manual for Capt Fantastic says to use 2 so I assume other games require it also.

#3 5 years ago

Pretty sure Atlantis was this way too. It's how I have my Atlantis drop-targets currently, FWIW.

#4 5 years ago

Doubled up on an Out of Sight, still worked perfect. Don't want to snap a drop target if you can help it.

#5 5 years ago

Reason being to avoid drop target damage then?

#6 5 years ago

Also keeps the ball from getting stuck under the rubber in the target slot, especially on long spans.

#7 5 years ago

I think the actual reason would be to protect the scoring switch behind the drop targets. All the games cited in the thread use five-banks. Five inches is a considerable distance to stretch a rubber with no protection in the middle, and I personally would never do it; I'd add an additional centre post instead.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I think the actual reason would be to protect the scoring switch behind the drop targets. All the games cited in the thread use five-banks. Five inches is a considerable distance to stretch a rubber with no protection in the middle, and I personally would never do it; I'd add an additional centre post instead.

Or just use one long target like Stern now uses

#9 5 years ago

Is there anything better than classic tombstone drop targets?? Mmmm hmmmmm. Please someone offer these up for all games that had them.

That is all.

#10 5 years ago

The reasoning I've heard is that on wide banks the rubber can stretch enough to let a ball under. I've seen it happen on my Far Out numerous times. Probably not to protect the drop targets

#11 5 years ago

Not just a concern on EMs either. According to the IPDB, Getaway was known for blowing the MPU board if a ball got stuck under a slingshot, broke the bulb, and created a short between the switch and the bulb filament. Has this ever happened to anyone here?

#12 5 years ago

Can a ball potentially be trapped if it hits the rubber as the targets are resetting? The situation can occur on Volley - dropping the last of all 15 targets (say, on the green bank) will trigger the target reset, meanwhile the ball caroms up to the lowered yellow target area and strikes the rubber just as the targets are coming up. I’ve seen the ball hit the glass in this situation, I can imagine if the ball hits a weak or loose rubber it might be trapped behind the rising targets.

#13 5 years ago

Tim Arnold advocated this in one of his videos as a way to make the drop targets last longer.

#14 5 years ago

My Checkpoint is doubled up behind both sets of drop targets.The posts have grooves for them.

#15 5 years ago

The other benefit of double rings on Gottlieb drop targets, beyond protecting the drop targets themselves, is to protect the playfield plastics. A weak backing to the drop target will allow the ball to carom upwards and break playfield plastics. The upper drop target bank on El Dorado, the upper banks on Countdown, and the single target bank on Jacks Open are all prime examples where double rings will benefit the game and playfield plastics.

Basically any game that has a direct straight on shot to the drop targets is a good candidate for this. Glancing shots like the side DT banks on Countdown are not as succeptible.

#16 5 years ago

I've tried both and do not like the way the ball rebounds from the double rubber. It sometimes resulted in ball bounce.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rubber-rings-on-drop-targets?hl=cdemuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.