IMG_0181 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0180 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0166 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0168 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballManiac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

RS had a Display issue with Vertical Lines appearing at some points and disappearing at other points.

Press on all the ICs that are in IC sockets on the MPU board.

#5 3 years ago

Do you have another DMD controller board you can try?

#8 3 years ago

You have a DMD controller board in WH20.

#10 3 years ago

In this one picture, you do not show to have the ribbon cable plugged into the top DMD controller board.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Can you show a new picture like this showing the ribbon cables all connected? I would definitely try with the WH20 DMD controller board.
2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from dar8dar:

I just put nvram in all my games
I can't tell for sure by pics is the nvram installed in the proper direction

It is in the proper direction.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

My WH2O is the same as the clients DMD controller board. High voltage shot and using a color DMD.
I really dont want to have to rework my Controller board to test this machines issues.
Too many variables on the RS as it is. RottenDog PDB, Pinled DMD control board, and now a NVRAM and not the anypin vram, and of course its a WPCS so I cant swap CPU boards with other machines to test.

You can try the RS DMD controller board in WH20. This does look to be a data issue in RS, not a voltage issue.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Do you know offhand if it will work with the ColorDMD? I dont have a manual for the Pinled its the first I have had one in my shop.

I never used a PinLED DMD controller before. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a ColorDMD unless there is a problem with the board.

Can you post a picture of that manual?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I dont have a manual for it.

Thanks. I read your comment wrong.

#26 3 years ago

R93 should be measuring 1.5k ohms across it. Be sure you are not accidentally touching something else.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Yes I can try the PinLed in the WH20. At least I can eliminate that board as the issue.

I definitely would do this. It is leaning this way toward being the DMD controller board. If it is, might be tough to repair this board. Not sure if PinLED will offer to repair or replace it. If they do, I can see easily being a month with the shipping back and forth to Germany.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I just checked out the Pinwiki info and it seems straight forward and an easy repair if I had a WILLIAMS DMD Control board LOL

Not always. I did have one Williams DMD controller board that turned out to be something other than the RAM on the board.

Quoted from Eddie:

I just went ahead and ordered the new DMD board. Is that your store the Pinball Basement?

I was really wanting to see the problem move with the board before suggesting a replacement board. I am glad you chose that board over a Rottendog.

Quoted from Eddie:

Is there any chance there could be something on the WPCS board or are the page errors strictly DMD board related?

Yes there is a chance the problem is on the MPU board.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I agree but I didnt want to connect the Pinled board to my WH20 Color DMD not the same voltage.

Maybe the Pinled has settings for COLOR DMD Voltage? Im not going to bother.

5v,12v, and ground connections for the ColorDMD comes from J118 on the power driver board. You can follow the power adapter from the ColorDMD board to see that. Only thing then that comes from the DMD controller will be the display data when using a ColorDMD regardless of what DMD controller board you are using.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you show a new picture like this showing the ribbon cables all connected?

Good reason for me asking this because I just had a chance to go have a look at the board on the PinLED website. I see a lot of questions about their stock picture they show. Their schematic is not matching that picture, so I believe you have a different revision. I wanted to make sure you don't have the ribbon cable to the DMD connected wrong if you do have the one like this picture. https://www.pinled.de/WebRoot/Store31/Shops/87959183/5E0A/5D91/E915/A485/CFD9/0A0C/6D0C/F776/2004017_revc.pdf pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

The board in your pic is not the board that is in the machine. There are no socketed chips in the board so I too do not know which revision this board is.

That is why I would like to see a picture of all the boards connected in the game as I had shown. Also, to look over any other differences.

#47 3 years ago

Normally that is the top left ribbon cable that causes that issue, but seems you are not having the typical failure.

Can you replace this bottom ribbon cable from a working game, from the MPU to DMD controller, to see if there is an improvement? I had many issues in the past with any ribbon cables that have a strain relief built into the cable, as if the male board pins do not go deep enough into the ribbon cable when plugged in.

crappy ribbon cable (resized).pngcrappy ribbon cable (resized).png

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Yes that is the 2nd brand new cable installed. It Behaves just as the old cable. The first new cable was internally broken causing the Issues that I posted about earlier.
I am leaning towards it being the Pinled Board. Will know for sure when the new DMD board arrives.

I'm just saying that I have yet to have a DMD controller board fail with that type of result.

#51 3 years ago

You have the other PinLED board to try in RS. Should have swapped them between the 2 games soon as the ribbon cable(s) did not appear to be the solution.

I've even seen bent pins on the top left MPU connector to the ribbon cable cause the same issue.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I dont have another Pinled board. Its the only one in the shop. It was in the RS when it arrived.

So then you have an original DMD controller in CFTBL and WH20 which likely have high voltage issues. I would definitely put the RS PinLED board in either of those games that currently has a good working display. It is the best way to prove that PinLED really does have an issue or not.

You may be waiting a week to get that new board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballManiac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rs-nvram-installed-no-dmd-?tu=PinballManiac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.