Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kse001
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I am finally finishing up a restoration on a Roadshow, but I'm having a problem when raising the bulldozer blade. The blade motor runs fine, and does push the blade up on the right side where it attaches to the motor, but the left side does not move very much at all, which results in the right side raising considerably higher than the left. It's as though the left side is binding on something, but I cannot see what that "something" would be when I look at it.
With that being said, the diagrams in the manual of how the blade attaches to Ted are pretty lacking, and the machine I have been working on had a fair number of hacks on it, so it's very possible that the hardware I've got attaching the blade isn't correct. I searched through the forums a bit to see if there were any similar reports and solutions, but I didn't find anything. Anyone familiar with the game have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kyle

#2 6 years ago

Kyle -- I have a RS under wraps in my garage. Last time I played it the dozer worked fine. I'll take a look tomorrow and try to give you some sort of description.

#3 6 years ago

I would unhook the spring that holds the arm that raises the dozer and then hand move the dozer to feel if there is any binding going on. My guess is something mechanical with the blade itself is not working properly. It has nothing to do with the motor or electronics. Look at the dozer is connected to its pivot points. I would also make sure the dozer isn’t cracked or broken.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I would unhook the spring that holds the arm that raises the dozer and then hand move the dozer to feel if there is any binding going on. My guess is something mechanical with the blade itself is not working properly. It has nothing to do with the motor or electronics. Look at the dozer is connected to its pivot points. I would also make sure the dozer isn’t cracked or broken.

+1 on this. Unhooking the spring and moving the blade by hand will give you a better idea of where the binding is happening. I had this same issue on my roadshow and it turned out to be a loose screw that was causing the blade to rub against a plastic or ramp on the rear. I tightened the screw and the blade was free to move, problem solved.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight as see what that reveals

#6 5 years ago

Been feeling under the weather and had some other things going on, but had a chance to look at this more last night. After disconnecting the spring to release the shaft, it was very clear that the dozer blade was very tight. Like I mentioned, there were a number of things done to the game that were clearly not as intended at the factory, so I had little confidence in how things were put together initially and relied on the drawings from the manual as much as possible to put back together. But the jaw/blade was not documented well.

Long story short, I found a site last night where someone detailed a bunch of fixes they did to their RS, and there was a photo I was able to blow up to see how the parts were connected. On my game, there was an additional washer behind the e-clip on each side of the dozer blade, which made the entire thing very tight. The strange thing is, when I removed the e-clips to remove the washers, I had trouble getting them back on again. Didn't make a lot of sense to me since I'd just removed washers that were previously taking up some space so it should have been an easy fit. I had to disassemble the left side ramps, but was ultimately able to get the clips back on. Still felt a little snug, but much less so than before. Ran out of time to put it all back together, but I'll be testing again soon. Just wanted to follow up on this post for any future searchers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rs-dozer-blade-runs-crooked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.