20150905_202802.jpg
Walmart_Witch.jpg
RRWOZ_UpperTopWide.jpg
RRWOZ_UpperMidWide.jpg
RRWOZ_Table1.jpg
RRWOZ_MidWide.jpg
RRWOZ_LowerWide.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Finally got my wife's 50th Birthday present - a Ruby Red WOZ! What a beautiful machine. I've played 3 games so far, last one got 251,000 points. Setting are Extra Easy, 5 Ball, Ball Save 10 seconds, all outlanes and castle lanes tightened up. Spent about 6 hours setting the game up/modding it before turning it on for the first time. Added mylar to both Pops, etc.

Freight company delivered when I was at work and took the pic you see below. The box was wheeled straight into the garage and wife said he just pulled the cart right straight back out of the garage. Translation .... he trucked the box on the side that said DO NOT TRUCK THIS SIDE - why do they even bother to print that. No damage was done thankfully.
Unboxing pics attached. I was alone so … moved box to door. No way to cross threshold so … cut bottom of box off, add front legs, tip game to yellow HF cart. Pump with leg extended while "pulling" machine toward body as it "wants to walk back out the door" ugh … (it ended well!)

The game is unlike anything I have ever played. I'm a little stunned by it. Still not even 10% sure what is going on yet, but there were some modes that were simply (sound and light wise) stunning and really exciting to experience. Since writing this first tidbit, I've played more games and am even more impressed. What a game, what a light show, what sound and system choreography. Lots of work went into the sound/video/callout integration and it shows. Bottom line … it's about 50% BETTER than I thought it might be and I had high expectations.

More pics later as the 8 image limit has kicked in
Trucked by freight on wrong side.jpgTrucked by freight on wrong side.jpg
Couple comments:
• The Wizard Torch mod is awesome - just looks fantastic
• Removing the witch from her plastic casing is a must (another MezelMod)
• The lit Winkie target is also both visually and play experience necessary - looks amazing
• Adding the Cliffy at the Munchkin PF was easy and took just 15 minutes total
• Turned the power on the upper castle flipper up about 6 numbers - just seemed way too weak. Perfect now
• Don't add the topper as the direction say UNTIL you're sure it will clear the doorway with your pinskates on!

Issues in setup/mods:
• I had the problem with the sound "buzzing" but used video someone was kind enough to post. Worked like a charm.
• Back castle walls had to be "bent upward" slightly (easy fix) because ball consistently stuck up there
• Winkie target was roughly made/finished. Took a while to file and sand it smooth enough to drop cleanly
• Apron seems to have a defect with the laminate coming of - see my earlier posts if someone can ID what is wrong (if anything)
• Setting this beast up alone was a task - not recommended

Started at 7pm last night, finished around 1:15 am Friday. Did all of the work below

• Move machine to game area
• Cut box open and setup machine
• Lay backbox back down (too tall to fit through door)
• Move game into game room
• Close the left outlane (TNPLH) post by one hole, move ball guide out at same time
• Close castle field exit post on left side of exit (remove habitrails, then tiny wrench under PF)
• Add Mylar at top and bottom pops: Remove the wire ramp to gain better access. You can just lay it back without disconnecting the switch wires.
• Add Cliffy edge protector munchkin playfield (Cliffy instructions)
• Add wizard scoop protector (Cliffy instructions)
• Add witches well stone wall mod
• Add torchlight mod
• Add Winkie drop target
• Add State Fair balloon LED
• Add wizard black delrin surround
• Add shooter rod and painted housing
• Check: Witches screw drive in between opto switches (not rubbing one)
• Check: Crystal ball is not hitting the wire ramp (causes errors)
• Check: Lower Pop bumper is not hitting ball guide when activated (shaves metal)
• Check: Flipper coil stop on upper playfield for tightness
• Clean balls and add balls
• Turn the machine on
• Set to 5 balls
• Set to "Extra Easy" level
• Set to ball save (not a default setting)
• Set the Tree pops power to 10 and State Fair pops to 10
• Level the playfield
• Set playing angle at 6.5 degrees
Wrestled to doorway.jpgWrestled to doorway.jpgBottom cut out.jpgBottom cut out.jpgTilted into house.jpgTilted into house.jpgThis part hurt.jpgThis part hurt.jpgIts a pinball.jpgIts a pinball.jpgPieces and parts.jpgPieces and parts.jpgNo place like home.jpgNo place like home.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Few more pics as promised. Will also shoot some high res images tonight as I'm building a new hero card

Upper_mylar_on.jpgUpper_mylar_on.jpgLower mylar on.jpgLower mylar on.jpgCastle post moved.jpgCastle post moved.jpg75th topper.jpg75th topper.jpgSigned by the man.jpgSigned by the man.jpgMeasure doorway first.jpgMeasure doorway first.jpgTopper install.jpgTopper install.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Congrats on your purchase. There is no question that WOZ is one of the most beautiful games ever made. Enjoy.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Congrats on your purchase. There is no question that WOZ is one of the most beautiful games ever made. Enjoy.
--

Thanks Chris and a personal thanks to you for all the help you offer folks here on Pinside
As promised here are some high rez images of the playfield. I found it VERY hard to find anything decent out there except some on the IPBDB. If anyone need the originals, PM me and I'll send as they are 4200 x 2800 pixels and about 8 Munchkin_Area.JPGMunchkin_Area.JPGMeg each

RRWOZ_Ambient2.JPGRRWOZ_Ambient2.JPGRRWOZ_Habitrails_edits.jpgRRWOZ_Habitrails_edits.jpgRRWOZ_LowerWide.JPGRRWOZ_LowerWide.JPGRRWOZ_MidWide.JPGRRWOZ_MidWide.JPGRRWOZ_Table1.jpgRRWOZ_Table1.jpgRRWOZ_UpperMidWide.JPGRRWOZ_UpperMidWide.JPGRRWOZ_UpperTopWide.JPGRRWOZ_UpperTopWide.JPG

#5 8 years ago

That's the ultimate setup right there - all your missing is a pin-gulp! Now go beat the witch!

#6 8 years ago

Nice, very nice! Congrats to both of you

#7 8 years ago

That is a gorgeous machine. Congrats on the purchase and Happy Birthday to the Mrs.!!

#8 8 years ago

Great job on the photography as well...

#9 8 years ago

Such a beautiful game! It's an awesome game, congrats!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Thanks Chris and a personal thanks to you for all the help you offer folks here on Pinside

Why thank you sir. It is my pleasure.
--

#11 8 years ago

To add to images already shown, I just uploaded this one to print a 12 x 18 for her birthday. Note the words lower left and right. Her Birthday and the RRWOZ birthday!

Walmart Witch.jpgWalmart Witch.jpg

#12 8 years ago

And the Birthday girl playing her new game! Heavy concentration
20150905_202802.jpg20150905_202802.jpg20150905_202748.jpg20150905_202748.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Beautiful.

WOZ does make other games appear underwhelming.

#14 8 years ago

It looks like she's got the stance down! Hope she liked it.
--

#15 8 years ago

Congrats on the game and GO VOLS!

#16 8 years ago

Last shot makes her look like a villain from Batman 66 ...

#17 8 years ago

Congratulations on new pin . Great photos, and great gameroom .

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Last shot makes her look like a villain from Batman 66 ...

Agreed! Time for a few glamour shots instead

IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1179.jpgPhotoGrid_1441554384673.jpgPhotoGrid_1441554384673.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Beautiful reds x2.

What a great birthday present!

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Beautiful reds x2.
What a great birthday present!

That's funny and witty - I'll share with her

#21 8 years ago

I generally bypass reading these unboxing threads, because they seem to mostly be - Lookee see what I got - sorts of things.

I am really thrilled to see that your post is not of that genre. It is clear and concise, giving both the up and downs of unboxing a new machine. You obviously did your pre-arrival research on what to get and what to tweak to make the machine operate in the manner that makes it the game you love to play.

Congratulations to your wife on her 50th. Please keep this thread updated as you learn more of the ins and outs of this machine.

#22 8 years ago

Thought I'd post an update on a small issue with my RRWOZ. The upper playfield flipper was slow and seemed to "stick" on return so I thought the solution was to add some power to that solenoid. See my original post below:

"Turned the power on the upper castle flipper up about 6 numbers - just seemed way too weak. Perfect now"

Well, turns out it was not perfect. When adjusting the upper left wall I noticed some orange rubber pieces on the castle playfield. See the images below for details but it's pretty self explanatory. The right side of the castle wall was rubbing the hinge point of the playfield and shaving rubber from the flipper rubber. I pulled the wall (one screw at top, then rotate to the right to clear the VUK habitrail) and used my dremel to shave off a small amount of material. Used a sharpie to blacken again, then re-attached. It's perfect now AND I had to dramatically CUT the power to the coil as it was just too fast.

Seems like this would be some thing for folks to check on all new games FWIW

DSC00609.JPGDSC00609.JPG

20150907_152410.jpg20150907_152410.jpg

DSC00612.JPGDSC00612.JPG

20150907_152713.jpg20150907_152713.jpg

#24 8 years ago

Witch Mechanism Issue:

Found a small black screw inside cabinet. Looked a lot like a switch stack screw. Tiny hex head, no Philips in center. Hunted around for a few minutes. Found it missing from bottom of Witch mech assembly. There are 4 screws and one of mine was missing. ... when adding it back, I had to remove the mini LED light board to make room for my fat fingers and when I did the entire witch mech moved (a lot!). Upon inspection the 2 machine screws that hold the entire mech were only partly screwed in. Looks like somebody got distracted on the line that day. See yellow circles in attached picture. Might be something to check on your new RRWOZ. The only thing holding the mech steady were the 2 tiny screws that also hold the small light board. Who knows how long they would have held before giving up (and stripping out their holes in the process). Sent to Frank also for review with QC at factory.

2015-09-10 14.04.55.jpg2015-09-10 14.04.55.jpg

7 months later
#25 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

• Check: Lower Pop bumper is not hitting ball guide when activated (shaves metal)

I'd like to add here (I can't find a better place) - check upper pop bumper is not hitting witch protector (applies to WOZ games with the witch in the tube).

I had to modify mine tonight, quite pleased with the end result given this was done with a junior hacksaw and a file.

woz_upper_popfix_(resized).jpgwoz_upper_popfix_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 91.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

13,000 (OBO)
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rrwoz-unboxing-and-comments and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.