(Topic ID: 139036)

RPG pinball - is there any potential here?

By redundor

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Razorbak86
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LARP.png
    duke-nukem-2015-08-19-01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from KitKat:

I think this idea is one made for the multimorphic P3 platform. I love the idea and it would be more for the home player. I think with the P3 you could even have different modules based on level, character class, etc. Has awesome potential but implementation will be the hard part.

Yeah, I will quote myself from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-multimorphic-video ...

Quoted from Roo:

I'm definitely excited by the possibilities this platform has. You can make traditional 3-balls-per-player games. You can make simple mini-games (possibly using only the screen portion of the playfield). You can make something that blends these together. You could even design a game purely for home users, if you wanted, since not every module or game for a given module needs to be feasible for coin-op.
    Imagine something similar to an old-school turn-based RPG, but in pinball form. You don't need to stick with the 3 balls-per-game format. It could have an actual story that takes like 40+ hours to complete. It could have towns and shops and dungeons. It could have complicated item/spell commands using the 2nd/3rd flipper buttons that would usually be too complicated to teach someone for a 5 minute game.
    That's just one broad idea. I look forward to seeing what people do with this.

Imagine battles where the number of hits the monster takes depends on your stats and theirs, hitting them with a combo is a critical hit, draining doesn't make you lose your ball but takes some of your health away, etc. There's a lot of different things that could be done.

Quoted from jwilson:

it would only be appealing to crazy pinball nerds

...maybe. But isn't that most of us here? I think there's room for more than just the traditional 3-ball game, especially in a home setting.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I'm not sure whether a pinball like this would lead to more or less longevity in a collection.
    Because the game necessarily has to have an end. When you eventually 'beat' the game, would you feel like creating a new character/save and going through the motions all over again? If so, what is the incentive to start again?

Good point, which is why it might be a tougher sell as a standalone machine (aside from the other location-play issues). That's why it makes sense for a platform like the P3 where it could be one game of many, at a reduced relative cost.

That said, a lot of video games have "New Game +" modes where you can play through again with the abilities and items you already acquired against harder enemies. Theoretically a popular game of this nature could have expansions as well (software update with new content).

I don't see this kind of thing taking over pinball generally, but I think there might be a niche for it. The question would be is it big enough to devote the resources to making something cool. I just think it would be cool if there wasn't one type of pinball game (standard 3 balls + extra balls with a single "score"), the same way there isn't one type of "shooter" or "fighting game" or "racing game".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rpg-pinball-idea?tu=roo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.