(Topic ID: 139036)

RPG pinball - is there any potential here?

By redundor

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Razorbak86
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LARP.png
    duke-nukem-2015-08-19-01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redundor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I was reading the Game of Thrones thread and the talk about how the pop-bumpers are going to work for helping with advancement in the game made me wonder, has there ever been an RPG style pin made? If you have ever played the Epic Quest table by Zen you might have an idea about what I am thinking of. I think that there could be some really fun possibilities.

- XP for completing missions
    - Leveling up based on XP
    - Upgradable weapons that can be used to allow missions to be completed easier
    - Character progress that can be saved from one game to another

I honestly am not a big fan of RPG's, but I think that if it's done in the right way it could be really fun and help to suck more people into the hobby. I think that for a lot of gamers, pinball seems a little pointless, since as good as you do, you never get anything other than a high score. However, if you had a character that you could upgrade and save, even though you might not get high score, at least you got that new weapon/armor/etc.

What do you guys/gals think?

#31 8 years ago

I'll be interested to see where this Borderland homebrew pin goes: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/borderlands-the-pinball

I think there is some potential there and I really liked the games

Quoted from KitKat:

I think this idea is one made for the multimorphic P3 platform. I love the idea and it would be more for the home player. I think with the P3 you could even have different modules based on level, character class, etc. Has awesome potential but implementation will be the hard part.

I agree that P3 would fit really well. And with that platform you could download new games with new modes that work on the existing layout. Or there could be user created content and modes that also extend the life of the game.

Quoted from ls1chris:

World Of Warcraft. most popular online RPG ever and still continues to be.a pin based off that with blue tooth connectivity where as a player could input their account info via phone app and in RPG play mode. a machine that would award unobtainium upgrades ( weapons, spells maps and expansion packs ect) once it caught on with the online community ( players seeing items you cannot buy as an upgrade) it would catch on fast and you could charge $2.00 + a play.

Awesome ideas. The ability to take your character with you and play the same one wherever you are would be key to this working well.

Quoted from jwilson:

Sounds like you're ready to tackle making it yourself.
    http://pinballmakers.com/

Who knows, might be something that I get into some day. I won't deny that following the threads at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/homebrew-pinball is very inspiring.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redundor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rpg-pinball-idea?tu=redundor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.