• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200924_102514 (resized).jpg
20200817_105320 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

So my wife's #RoyalRumble game has always had these quirks but is still playable and she enjoys it. Thinking is time to start figuring out what is going on though.

First, most of the time (we have it on free play) when you press start once, it will start a 4 player game. Sometimes it will be a 2 or 3 player game, and every once in a while it will start a single player game. But most of the time 4 player.

The other issue is related to the 3 drop targets in the upper ring playfield. Any time you hit one of these targets, the game goes into a "spaz out" mode where there are random sound effects that are repeated (bell dinging incessantly etc) and some pop solenoid goes off continuously under the playfield. It doesn't really inhibit game play, but it is obvious that it's not normal and can get quite annoying after a while (stops and resets once the current ball in play is over).

Anyway, any help diagnosing what could be causing these would be super appreciated.

20200817_105320 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Maybe try run some tests on those switches/the switch matrix. Hard to tell if those two problems are related or independent. Could both be related to a single switch problem. Clay’s guides could help exploring this further. Could also be game ROMs? Could try factory reset? Just some quick thoughts. Good luck.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballGiant:

Maybe try run some tests on those switches/the switch matrix. Hard to tell if those two problems are related or independent. Could both be related to a single switch problem. Clay’s guides could help exploring this further. Could also be game ROMs? Could try factory reset? Just some quick thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback PinballGiant . First thing I did when it got home was a full factory reset (seems like the 1st step go to for all). What are the Clay's guides? Forum resource or published material? Thanks again.

#5 1 year ago

Any indication of battery acid damage on the MPU board?

#6 1 year ago

The first problem almost sounds like the start button is staying pressed in for longer then it should and it might be adding players before it actually returns to its start position, thats a long shot tho! , i own the machine and have never had that problem so id just start with taking that button and mounting hardware apart and clean around it and even the connections at the switch itself! For your second question im really not sure! Run some of the tests on the machine see what comes up and post the results from the tests here!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Any indication of battery acid damage on the MPU board?

NVRAM was previously done so I don't think so

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Westbury:

id just start with taking that button and mounting hardware apart and clean around it and even the connections at the switch itself! For your second question im really not sure! Run some of the tests on the machine see what comes up and post the results from the tests here!

I replaced the button (not the switch) as the lettering was faded and it was apart then. Can't hurt to double check though

3 weeks later
#9 1 year ago

Ok fams, I finally got around to troubleshooting my wife's machine and the 2 problems are one and the same issue/source. For some reason, every switch in column #4 (R Out, R Return, R Sling, UPF Eject, UPF RO, and all 3 UPF Drops) is activating every switch in it's row when tested (including the "Not Used" switch locations). Thus, my random players added happen when on the 1st ball, the right slingshot is hit (which is causing the "start" button switch to press, like adding additional players during the first ball of play). Explains why sometimes I could have games that were only single player (i.e.: if right sling isn't hit at all during first ball).

New question is where to look first for what is causing all these column switches to activate the entire row? The additional awkward behavior is tied to the drop targets, as once they are dropped, the row of switches they are part of is "disabled" while that target is in "dropped" position (which resets when ball drains and behavior stops). This sounds too patterned to be shorted wiring or switch diode to me, but I'm not expert so I'm hoping the community will have some insight.

Thank you all in advance.

#10 1 year ago

Board related (same behavior using jumper and connectors unplugged). Found previously socket transistor on that drive column. Starting there and checking other TIP122's while I'm at it.

20200924_102514 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

Bad 2N3904 on that previously installed socket. Anything specific upstream I should double check? (All tip122 were ok)

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside