• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chuckc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

The above schematic arrows are incorrect. The 9 position switch on the ones reel only impacts the M relay when the 1s reel is carrying over to the 10s reel. There are a lot of 10 point scores which will not involve that circuit at all.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

emsinkc said "The above schematic arrows are incorrect. The 9 position switch on the ones reel only impacts the M relay when the 1s reel is carrying over to the 10s reel. There are a lot of 10 point scores which will not involve that circuit at all."
I stand by my post#2 above. The normally closed End-Of-Stroke switch on the Add Tens unit and the hold switch on the 10 Point relay are responsible for keeping the 10 Point (M) relay locked on until the 10 Point score reel has completed its stroke.

I am wrong here. That's what I get for reading a schematic on my phone. I thought your red line showed the 9 position switch was in the marked circuit and it isn't.

I'll pull my schematic later on and look it over. My apologies.

#8 5 years ago

Since it works manually we can eliminate the EOS.

#9 5 years ago

OK, let's dig into this further. What happens with the score reel when you hit a 50 point target, such as the snap targets, the fan targets, or the upper rollovers/lower rollovers when not lit for 500? It's not scoring those either?

What happens with the reel during game reset?

As I said above, I don't think your issue is with the EOS switch on the reel, because it would not work on a manual trigger of the M relay either.

It's possible you have a dirty EOS, and it's also possible that you have a gummed up coil sleeve on the reel itself. Also possible some adjustment needs to be done with the plunger on the reel. Because RG has a ton of 50 point scores on it, and really the only 10 point scores are the pop bumpers when lit, I'm interested in exactly what it is doing with 50 point scores.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckc:

One thing I did notice is that if I very very very gently tap the M relay I can duplicate the problem of the coil and plunger firing but not advancing the reel.
If I give it just a little more pressure when manually activating the relay the reel will advance.

OK, here's something to check.

You might have too strong a return spring on the relay armature. If that spring is too strong, it keeps the armature from being fully pulled against the coil, which keeps the switches from making good contact, which inhibits current going to the reel coil itself. I have had that happen where someone replaced the return spring.

If you have any spare springs around, try changing to a weaker spring and see if that does anything. Or just switch out the spring from another relay.

The fact that it is working ok when you manually press the armature in eliminates a lot of things, but it indicates to me that something is causing the armature plate from pulling in fully when the coil is trying to do the job itself.

The reel not resetting properly on reset though does seem to indicate some problem with the reel itself. Are you sure that the wireform is not causing too much pressure on the reel and inhibiting it from turning. That can happen when there is too much pressure from the switch blades onto the wireform that moves them. The fix is to adjust the switches so there is less pressure on them and thus less pressure on the wireform onto the reel.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckc:

I switched out the spring with the one in the N relay and it now works! Perfectly!
And the weird thing is that the 10 reel now resets immediately when starting a new game, just as it should. I don't know how that happened but I'm not questioning it!
Gentlemen I thank you for your timely and expert advice. You have both helped me fix the machine and gave me some valuable knowledge on how these things work.

Great. Now is the N working ok?

Could have also been the armature was a bit out of whack. But I have had that spring issue before.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckc:

I did notice that the two rear mounting bolts on the coil relay bracket that mount to the reel frame were only finger tight. I tightened them up
but don't think they would effect the coil/plunger performance because they don't allow for any front to back coil adjustment and the bracket didn't appear
to have any movement at all when they were loose. The two bottom bolts that fasten the bracket to the frame seemed to be enough to secure the backet.

Probably not, but never hurts to have stuff the way it should be.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-guard-scoring-issue?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.