Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SDM0
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So... when I first start a game and the ball hits a 10pt switch. Both the 10pt AND 100pt score reel flip at the same time to the same numbers. When the 10 and 100 reels hit 99 and try to flip to 1000 it gets stuck and the 10pt bell solenoid sticks. Sometimes the reels release and flip to 1000 eventually on their own but often it stays stuck until another 10 or 100 switch is hit.

Usually at some point in the middle of the game - the 10 and 100 reels stop working in unison and then the scoring works perfect. And the 900 doesn't stick.

But then EVERYTIME you start a new game, the 10 and 100 reels turn together again for a while.

I have cleaned the score reels and checked the switch sequence for 2nd generation decagon reels and they SEEM ok, as I mentioned, they eventually start working perfect half way through the game.

Any thoughts to help?

#2 2 years ago

It's probably the 9th position switch on the 10 point relay. Those Gottlieb score reel switches can be tricky to adjust. The easiest way to confirm whether your 9th position switch is closing is to put a piece of paper between the 9th position switch. At that point (when scoring 10 points) the 10's should be the only reel that moves, even when you go past the 9, it won't advance the 100. If blocking the switch stops the double reel advancing, then you will know you have a misadjusted 9th position switch.

Inspect that 10 point score reel really close (with a magnifying glass if you have to) and make sure that 9th position switch is fully open when on 0-8, It may be intermittent because it is so close that sometimes it conducts and sometimes it doesn't. Also check the solder tabs and make sure they are not touching.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Inspect that 10 point score reel really close (with a magnifying glass if you have to) and make sure that 9th position switch is fully open when on 0-8

Thank you for the response. The 9th position switch on the 10pt reel is as wide apart as the Nile. But I did put a paper in in it just in case and the 10pt and 100pt still move in unison. When I activate the 10pt relay (M) the 10 and 100 reel move together and then once it reaches 99 then next click of the relay jams both reels and the 10pt bell coil stays active and wont release until I hit a 10pt (50pt) target on the lower playfield).

Speaking of that, the weird thing is... if you start a game and shoot the ball the 50pt rollover switches at the top of the playfield are what the ball hits first. These start both the 10 and 100 moving together. BUT if I don't shoot the ball and just manually hit a 50pt target on the lower playfield FIRST only the 10 reel goes. I don't see how this is possible if when I manually fire the M relay the reels move together.

But it is the lower playfield 50pt targets that knock out the stuck 99 buzzing but not the rollover 50pt switches at the top of the playfield.

Maybe I am crazy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-guard-score-reels-double-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.