wires (resized).jpg
ball count (resized).jpg
ACLIP2 (resized).jpg
ACLIP1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Have my first wedgehead. I feel like this is a classic issue.... but when I turn on the power the score motor runs but no lights come on or anything else... just the score motor runs. If I manually trip the S relay, the lights will come on and the bank will reset... but the score motor keeps running. I cleaned/checked the switches on the S relay and they seem fine. If the S switch pulses the score motor to start things off... where else is there a switch that is not telling the score motor to stop?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

Have my first wedgehead. I feel like this is a classic issue.... but when I turn on the power the score motor runs but no lights come on or anything else... just the score motor runs. If I manually trip the S relay, the lights will come on and the bank will reset... but the score motor keeps running. I cleaned/checked the switches on the S relay and they seem fine. If the S switch pulses the score motor to start things off... where else is there a switch that is not telling the score motor to stop?

Congrats on the pin, I think that it’s a fun wedge. Have you checked the other relays? I can’t remember if it’s the start or hold relay that has to be properly gapped/cleaned for the start up to reset.

#3 2 years ago

Which one(s) of these switches/relays is keeping the score motor running? When all of them are open the motor will stop.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

When all of them are open the motor will stop.

What I just tried is putting a strip of thin cardboard in-between each of the contacts off the RED/BLU wire for W, O, J, V, P. And then started it up and the motor still ran continuously. At that time I also put a cardboard strip in between 1C (even though it is opening and closing as the motor turns). S is not activated and that contact is way open. So, shouldn't that act as open for all those contacts? I figured that was a better method than trying to adjust and guess if there was enough space. But didn't change anything.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

shouldn't that act as open for all those contacts? I figured that was a better method than trying to adjust and guess if there was enough space.

Yes.

There's one more switch to test: on the Reset relay (D) on the sequence bank, with Blue+Red and Black-Red wires.

#6 2 years ago

Do the score reels reset to zero?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Do the score reels reset to zero?

Yes, they do.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

There's one more switch to test: on the Reset relay (D) on the sequence bank, with Blue+Red and Black-Red wires.

That did stop it. So, I manually tripped that switch because when the bank resets it is supposed to be closed, right? As it currently stands, the game is turned on, the motor is off, the coin lights are on and it seems ready to press the start button on the coin door. But when I do - nothing. Isn't it supposed to start the S relay as the first step in the sequence? I tried cleaning the contact for the door button and made sure the switch connects.

I went ahead and tripped the S relay. When I did this the lights came on, it took a credit... but the score motor gets stuck going around and around. Now, if I turn the game on again we are back to the original problem... score motor running because the bank of switches reset and now the D relay is closed.

Does this mean I have 2 issues? 1) that the start button on the door is not communicating to the S relay, and 2) some other switch is not closing/opening finish the start up sequence fully?

Thanks for the help.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

So, I manually tripped that switch

I assume you mean that you manually tripped the D relay.

If the Reset relay (D) doesn't trip during game startup, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

doesn't trip during game startup

I will go get some alligator clips. I get the concept of troubleshooting with alligator clips - especially examples where something specific is not working in a game. But it is hard to get my mind around the D relay not tripping during game start up - because no startup is happening.

So, I manually trip the D relay before I turn the game on. I turn the game on and the score motor doesn't run. The game is on and ready to go. But when I push the start button on the coin door, it doesn't trigger the S relay. But if I manually trip the S relay, then the lights turn on and it trips the D relay and the score motor starts. But the score motor just runs. So it seems that the D relay DOES trip in the startup process and starts the motor but it is not finishing the startup sequence?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

when I push the start button on the coin door, it doesn't trigger the S relay.

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#12 2 years ago

I had a similar issue with a game I had at Pinfest. It turned out to be a score reel switch. They're often balky, and they're tricky to adjust properly.

#13 2 years ago

Mine was doing that as well because of a score reel limit switch not engaging properly.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

These good to use? amazon.com link »

One of the reviews says the wire is 22 gauge, which is too thin for many uses

#16 2 years ago
https://www.amazon.com/Sumnacon-Crocodile-Insulators-Protective-Electrical/dp/B07TDP1W56/ref=bmx_dp_ak3hfblo_6/146-7862543-2136313

The comments on this one say 16. what size is idea for EMs? I want longer wires so they can reach all spots. Or so some people just link shorter alligator clips together?

#17 2 years ago

16 gauge should be OK
You can link shorter alligator clip jumper wires together

#18 2 years ago

Ok, I ordered some alligator clips today.
I see online the startup sequence for 60s Gottliebs.
http://www.pinballaustralia.com/startupG.htm
Why don't I have SB, Z, or U relay that they mention?
Am I crazy?

#19 2 years ago

They describe two Gottlieb reset sequences which may be common, but there were many similar but distinct reset sequences used. In the 70's some Gottlieb games had manuals that describe the reset sequence used in that game but on earlier games you have to sort it out from the schematic.

But unwinding the entire reset sequence from the schematic isn't really how you want to troubleshoot. It's hard to do and much of the effort is unnecessary. Instead try to focus in on something that's not happening (e.g. the replay button doesn't do anything or the score reels don't reset). Keep in mind that the issue you're chasing may be due to another issue and not really a problem. Eventually you'll trace back to the main culprit (like the S/Start relay won't trip).

/Mark

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

I got my alligator clips and attached one to the S Relay and the Replay Button Switch. This started the S Relay when I pushed the button. I guess the problem is not the replay button switch. So, do I now turn to the Zero Pos "Ball Count Unit", Zero Pos "Replay" Unit, and the Motor 1C? As those are on the path in-between these two points?

ACLIP1 (resized).jpgACLIP1 (resized).jpgACLIP2 (resized).jpgACLIP2 (resized).jpg
#21 2 years ago

You might try checking the switches on the coin door. I've fixed a couple games where they were bent closed.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

I got my alligator clips and attached one to the S Relay and the Replay Button Switch. This started the S Relay when I pushed the button. I guess the problem is not the replay button switch. So, do I now turn to the Zero Pos "Ball Count Unit", Zero Pos "Replay" Unit, and the Motor 1C? As those are on the path in-between these two points?

Exactly right. You've proven that the rest of the circuit works and that the issue is in the part of the circuit that you bypassed. By moving the jumper to other points you should be able to determine whether of the remaining switches are working or not.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

remaining switches

Is this the Zero Pos Ball Count Unit? Where is the Zero Pos "Replay" Unit?

ball count (resized).jpgball count (resized).jpg
#24 2 years ago

All I can tell from the photo is that that's a step unit or stepper. Look for labels, wire colors or at the reference photos at http://pbresource.com/pfplayfEM.htm to figure out which stepper is which.

Zero Pos "Ball Count" Unit on the schematic above refers to a switch on the Ball Count step unit that activates when the unit is in its zero or reset position. The same goes for the Replay Unit or credit unit in the back box that indicates how many credits the game has. Use the wire colors from the schematic to identify the switch you're looking for.

#25 2 years ago

I think I figured out the start/replay button problem. The T relay is not tripped. When it is tripped (open)... the start/replay button starts the game. So, I know everything works in that circuit. This now takes us back to the original question... why the score motor continues to run and not complete the game start sequence. Any suggestions on other circuits or switches to test?

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

I think I figured out the start/replay button problem. The T relay is not tripped. When it is tripped (open)... the start/replay button starts the game. So, I know everything works in that circuit.

Hmm. The T/Tilt relay should only trip when one of the tilt switches closes. When it trips it cuts power to most of the game including the Outhole switch and the O/Outhole relay effectively ending your game. So the T relay switch in the red path in the schematic in reply #11 is what lets you start a new game when the game has tilted.

If tripping the T relay enables the Replay button I suspect your problem is with the switch in parallel with the T relay switch, the Zero Position Ball Count Unit switch. That switch I think is what keeps you from starting a new game during reset until the ball has been kicked to the shooter lane, which advances the Ball Count Unit to 1. It's keeping you from hitting the start button twice and losing a 2nd credit before the first ball has been served.

If you advance your Ball Count Unit away from its reset position does the Replay Button fire the Start relay?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

does the Replay Button fire the Start relay?

What you say makes sense about the tilt relay. Yes, when I manually advance the ball count away from reset - the replay button fires the S relay.

So basically where we are at... I turn on power to the machine and the score motor starts running... I can make the score motor stop running by manually tripping the D Reset relay. But regardless of if I let the score motor run or stop it with the reset relay... now the replay button works and tries to start a game IF I advance the ball count unit away from reset.

#28 2 years ago

Now that you've got the Start relay firing as it should we can look into the next step. It sounds like you previously identified the D relay switch as the path that sends power to the Score Motor.

The D/Reset relay in this game might be better called the Reset Complete relay. When the Start relay fires, the motor starts turning and both trip banks should reset. That should reset the D/Reset relay and close the D relay switch in the schematic in reply #3. That switch keeps the motor running until the D/Reset relay trips which opens that switch.

The schematic in reply #9 shows that the D/Reset relay can't trip until all four score reels have reached zero and closed their Runout switches. Once that happens the Motor 2B switch that closes briefly at the very end of each motor cycle should trip the D relay, opening the switch that feeds the Score Motor and the motor should stop.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The D/Reset relay in this game might be better called the Reset Complete relay. When the Start relay fires, the motor starts turning and both trip banks should reset. That should reset the D/Reset relay and close the D relay switch in the schematic in reply #3. That switch keeps the motor running until the D/Reset relay trips which opens that switch.

Yes, when the start relay fires it starts the motor and both banks reset.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The schematic in reply #9 shows that the D/Reset relay can't trip until all four score reels have reached zero and closed their Runout switches. Once that happens the Motor 2B switch that closes briefly at the very end of each motor cycle should trip the D relay, opening the switch that feeds the Score Motor and the motor should stop.

I just tried cleaning the switch on motor 2B that should trip D/Reset. The chart says it is the 3rd switch on 2B (the colored wires seem to match up with the schematic) but I am confused because that switch normally sits open. But the schematic says it should be open to fire the D/Reset? So if that is the switch shouldn't it rest closed and activate when the score motor bumps it open?

I also manually moved all the score reels out of zero position to see if they reset. As soon as I turned power on the score motor started running (like it usually does) and all the score reels immediately reset back to zero. But the motor still runs and doesn't finish starting up a game.

What does RED mean on the wire colors. Should I try putting an alligator clip on the BR-WH wire that runs from the score motor to the BR-WH wire end that connects to the D/Reset relay? Maybe its a wire/connection issue?

#31 2 years ago

But even if I manually trip the D/Reset relay - it doesn't mean the game is fully ready to play. So, even if we get the score motor to trip the D/Reset relay what else hasn't completed in the cycle to kick the ball out and start a game like normal?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

But the schematic says it should be open to fire the D/Reset?

I don't follow. The Motor 2B switch in the D/Reset relay circuit (brown-white-red wire to orange-white-red wire) is normally open. It closes briefly at the end of each Score Motor cycle. When it closes the D/Reset relay will trip if all the remaining switches in the circuit are also closed.

Have you checked the behavior of the D relay as described above? Have you checked each of its switches to see that they open and close as they should as the relay trips and resets? Are any of the D relay solder tabs or wires shorted together?

Quoted from SDM0:

What does RED mean on the wire colors.

More info about Gottlieb wire colors: https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/Gottlieb-Wire-Colors

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I don't follow. The Motor 2B switch in the D/Reset relay circuit (brown-white-red wire to orange-white-red wire) is normally open. It closes briefly at the end of each Score Motor cycle. When it closes the D/Reset relay will trip if all the remaining switches in the circuit are also closed.

Yeah, it is open and I see what you are saying

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Gottlieb wire colors

That's a great link. Sorry I originally thought it was red but RED actually is not listed as a color coded on the Royal Guard schematic. Plus, it is hard to make out the red on the wires. I can't really see it on the orange wire but you can see it on the brown wire if you look close.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Have you checked the behavior of the D relay as described above? Have you checked each of its switches to see that they open and close as they should as the relay trips and resets? Are any of the D relay solder tabs or wires shorted together?

I cleaned all the switches and they look adjusted. I think the solder tabs and wires are ok. It seems like the orange wire was reattached more recently.

wires (resized).jpgwires (resized).jpg
#36 2 years ago

I do have to say that when I bought it - it was doing exactly what is does now but I tripped some relays and a game started and I played it like normal. But once I turned it off - it went back to doing the same thing and now I can't remember what I did to make the game start. So, I know it is possible for it to operate correctly but the start up sequence is stuck/messed up.

#37 2 years ago

Forgive me for asking again, but have you checked the switches on the coin door...specifically the ones that would be triggered by the coin mech/coin? I have found that if these are stuck closed, they will cause the score motor to run immediately when the game is turned on. This is different than issues caused after the reset sequence is started.

These sometimes get screwed up when they are used to start games or when the coin mechs are removed.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

have you checked the switches on the coin door

Thanks for asking again. Need to consider all possibilities. I just checked. No, all three coin mech switches are in open position. The replay button/switch is open unless pushed. All that is left is the slam tilt. Is that what its called? It is closed but that is how it is supposed to be, I think.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

Thanks for asking again. Need to consider all possibilities. I just checked. No, all three coin mech switches are in open position. The replay button/switch is open unless pushed. All that is left is the slam tilt. Is that what its called? It is closed but that is how it is supposed to be, I think.

It was worth a shot..sorry it didn't fix it. The ah-ha moment will happen. I once had a game that took me months before I found the issue (worn cloth insulation hitting metal). Stick with it.

#40 2 years ago

PM from OP:

Hi there. Just seeing if you have any other suggestions for my issue with Royal Guard. I know there is only so much you can help with online. But didn't know if you have some other suggestions?

On a thread this long I've lost track of what problem(s) you're trying to fix. Can you refresh our collective memory?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-guard-score-motor-run and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.