Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5032 (resized).JPG
20211209_172733 (resized).jpg
20211209_173251 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello and Happy New Year,

I'm new to the forum, and I've got a project that I'm probably not suited for, but here we go:

When I was a kid, about 10 maybe, my dad bought a Pinball Machine out of the local paper's classified ads. It was the Gottlieb's Royal Guard. He fixed it up and my sister and I played it all through my teen years. I grew to love pinball, playing any of the tables at a Truckstop nearby, that I worked at for years when I was older. My parents moved when I was just starting college, and they didn't have room for the pinball machine or a pool table that was in our game room. I was given the pool table, which I had no place for either, and promptly sold, and my sister received the pinball machine. The pinball machine sat unloved or used for probably 20 years, sometimes out on the porch, so needless to say the back glass and play surface are pretty rough (the play surface glass was always missing). I picked it back up from my sister and have repaired the old power cable, made a replacement on/off switch because the old one had seized up. I have cleaned up the unit, and the electrics and points all seem to be okay, but when I turn it on the motor cycles never-ending. The ball is in the return shoot, but I'm not sure if there are any pointers that someone can offer, or any documents on this site that may offer insight.

This may be more than I can repair myself, or is even worth saving, but it is the pinball machine that started the love affair for me, so I'd like to give it a shot.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you can see the mess I've gotten myself into!

Thanks for reading,
-Chris

20211209_172733 (resized).jpg20211209_172733 (resized).jpg20211209_173251 (resized).jpg20211209_173251 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Welcome Chris. People will help you. I'm not that good. (Maybe someday) Do you have the schematic for your machine? If not you might think about getting one so when the help comes you can be on the same page with them. Take TONS of photos. No WD40 ever. Solve one issue at a time. Your going to meet some amazing people here. And of course. Have fun!

#3 2 years ago

IAM,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have schematics, I'll look into getting a set. There are some papers that were in the machine, including the modes of the motor.

Take care,
-Chris

#4 2 years ago

There’s an EM specific board here on Pinside. The group there has helped me bring back many games.

You can always start a post there.

Alberto

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBadRabbit:

When I was a kid, about 10 maybe, my dad bought a Pinball Machine out of the local paper's classified ads.

For me myself. for that reason alone, it is 100% worth saving..
It sounds like (what is known as) the Control Bank on the bottom board in the
lower cabinet isn't resetting. For it to reset, all the Score Reels need to be on "0".
For the machine to know they all reached 0, each Score Reel has multiple sets of
contacts with one set (from each Reel) making only when it's on "0" You'll need to
clean and make sure those contacts are adjusted properly. Many actually go through
the entire machine (clean switches, tighten switch stack screws, inspect switch
gaps (space between blades), clean and lube the units, ect. before plugging in..
You'll be getting help here, and your Dad's machine will get back in action.
PBR (Pinball Resource) I'm sure will have a schematic, but first, as you're cleaning
up the machine, you'll want to write down other possible parts you'll be needing
(light bulbs, new white rubber rings, and maybe other small parts) before you place
an order. Take your time, ask plenty of questions, and if you happen to keep a couple
of cold brews in the fridge, some local pinball guy might just stop over just to see
what's going on..

#6 2 years ago

Thank you everyone for the replies. I appreciate the information; I'll start working on cleaning and calibrating the contacts. I'll search the EM forums to see the proper cleaning products and proper torque and gap. I hope to get started on that this week. I do plan on getting new lights and rubbers, and see that there are a lot of options on eBay to get the proper ones for my machine. I just didn't want to drop the coin on that until I'm sure I can make this thing work. I'm in Northern PA, just about into NY, so anybody local is welcome. We keep coffee in stock, and I can certainly find some brews. Would love to chat with fellow enthusiasts.

Side note Mopar: 1974 Satellite Sebring 2DR Hardtop with the factory 318. What are you running?

Take care,
-Chris

#7 2 years ago

Welcome, Royal guard was my first pin and I still have it. Others have come and gone but this one I always go back to for one more game.
If you have any questions I may be able to help. I'm in PA also, except SE.

#8 2 years ago

Poppapin,

I appreciate the offer. I've ordered the schematics and hope to start cleaning the points. Is rubbing alcohol a good cleaning product, or should I use something else? Any ideas of the proper gap? I did a quick look on the EM forums but didn't see anything specific. I have a paper that was still in the cabinet that explains all of the stages of the motor if that's helpful to anyone I'll upload the picture.

-Chris

#9 2 years ago

Hey Chris, before you start making adjustments, look over the info on pinrepair.com.
Lots of good stuff there.

#10 2 years ago

Go here to this link below and scroll through pages. There you can view 35+ videos about Royal Guard.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1KO137wpu6iiZVaMXjH_YQ

#11 2 years ago

Cool pin TheBadRabbit and glad you are willing to try and save it.

With the time that has been sitting I'd start with cleaning it up first, especially the playfield. Don't use water to clean it, naptha is recommended. Hopefully the palyfield is still in decent shape. Clean a worst case area and see if the paint still has good adhesion the the playfield. If so, then it's time to strip it and clean it. You'll see Magic Eraser used on old playfields as well once cleaned with naptha and Novis.

It's a lot of work to go through all the mechanicals and cleaning and adjusting. If you have the time and patience it's a highly rewarding hobby when you take an old game like yours and get it running.

There are plenty of people in the EM section to help, but for now you'll be in the cleaning up phase for a while.

I love doing this type of work
IMG_5032 (resized).JPGIMG_5032 (resized).JPG

#12 2 years ago

Rg was my 1st pin too, just like poppapin. Like others have suggested, take lots of pix, and read/watch videos on how the relays/steppers work. I love my rg, and I hope that you get it running, and enjoy it as much as I do mine. If you need any pix, let me know, as I’m willing to help out as well

#13 2 years ago

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long delay. I got the schematics the other day, and have been reading the repair guide on pinrepair. I think the main problem is the score reels, but I haven't gotten into it yet. Water heater in the house died so I had to fix that, kids car, you know how life goes. I hope to start cleaning and testing again soon.

-Chris

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-guard-gottlieb-1968-starting-a-repair-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.