RF 2.jpg
RF 1.jpg
image (1).jpeg
image 2).jpeg
image 1.jpeg
image (2).jpeg
image (1.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

I recently bought a Royal Flush and Mustang. Shopped and cleaned the Mustang and sold it to Sarah at Pinball Wizard. It is now sitting right next to Bronco A great first pin for me that found a perfect home. RF is another story. Being new to pins I simply had no idea what to look for. The playfield is worn in some critical areas. The backglass is showing about ten blemishes from the adhesive pads, classic Now with a slightly better eye for all that is pin and speaking with some more knowledgeable people than myself, I am trying to determine if I should part out this machine. I understand that parting one out is a less than ideal solution. Like many classic things, there's only so many left... I'd prefer it's saved and sitting next to a Card Whiz or other classic EM's. But knowing what it will take to restore, coupled with what I paid for it, I know I'd only be about even with what it's worth possibly to the right person. It seems to be a fairly popular 4 player 70's EM.

So... I'm willing to lose money if needed to see it survive. I'm looking to be travelling from southern NH to North Carolina at Thanksgiving. I'd be willing to deliver it within a reasonable distance of I95.

image (1.jpegimage (1.jpeg
image (2).jpegimage (2).jpeg
image 1.jpegimage 1.jpeg
image 2).jpegimage 2).jpeg

image (1).jpegimage (1).jpeg

#2 10 years ago

Fix it, clean it up, play it.

They don't all have to be restored, but they all should be enjoyed!

#3 10 years ago

Still looks pretty restorable to me. Good cab, backglass is decent enough (don't get hung up on the adhesive pad seepage). Yeah, playfield could be better, but most of the touchup would be in solid color areas instead of complicated graphics sections. Doesn't need a full blown job/clear to be presentable and playable.

And the issue with parting this title is that the parts are still readily available, such that there may not be as much demand for them. I'd suspect with some resto effort, keeping it intact would be ahead.

#4 10 years ago

Sell it whole to someone who will restore it. Great game that needs a good home. Too many EM's already long gone.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

And the issue with parting this title is that the parts are still readily available,

True, parting it out you would end up making very little money for your all your effort.

Ken

#5 10 years ago

I guess I'll list it on Ebay and see what happens.

#6 10 years ago

Pinball resource has NOS plastics for this pin. They also have the drop and dip targets. Somebody can bring that back to life with a little work. I have a Royal Flush Deluxe and it is a lot of fun. Hope it finds a good home

#7 10 years ago

Marco specialties has just about everything for Royal Flush.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/698

#8 10 years ago

I'm going to list it very cheap.

#9 10 years ago

Does it play? Are all of the issues cosmetic?

#10 10 years ago

It does play and I can post a few pics of the inside. There are some issues with scoring and what not but I think it's just a matter of giving the contacts a good cleaning and playing it.

#11 10 years ago

If I were close I would buy it and touch-up that playfield and take care of the apron - I've done 4 of these Royal Flushes and a 5th is waiting.

#12 10 years ago

Well so far I have a few interested. So there's hope it will live to see another day

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

and take care of the apron

What would you do to address that?

#14 10 years ago

Goo Be Gone might do the trick; looks like sticker residue.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Goo Be Gone might do the trick; looks like sticker residue.

I believe you are right. I thought it was rust at first, but I think you are correct.

#16 10 years ago

Careful with the silk screened ink areas. Those will sometimes wipe right off with a sneeze!

#17 10 years ago

I don't think that post is suppose to be between the flippers.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

I don't think that post is suppose to be between the flippers.

You're right but touch-up after you remove it is way easier with a painted surface versus woodgrain. Sand, a little bondo or filler of your choice, sand, prime, paint..............

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You're right but touch-up after you remove it is way easier with a painted surface versus woodgrain. Sand, a little bondo or filler of your choice, sand, prime, paint..............

You're right, I've done this repair before. Just makes me laugh when people do this with the posts between the flippers.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

You're right, I've done this repair before. Just makes me laugh when people do this with the posts between the flippers.

Do the same people block the outlanes? How about leaving zipper flippers locked all the time? Fun huh?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Do the same people block the outlanes? How about leaving zipper flippers locked all the time? Fun huh?

Lol, yup!

#22 10 years ago

From what I understand it spent a few years in a bar that was owned by a friend. I would imagine that's were the post between the flippers came from. The owner of this pin was pretty straight forward about it and Mustangs history. I work with his daughter. My recent passion for pins comes from a rich 80's arcade experience and the fact I all of a sudden wanted one at 44 years old. I stood up one day at work and said I want a pinball machine. Heather said, that's interesting, I have two sitting in a barn. So I drove up to Maine and brought them home.

As mentioned not looking to make my money back. Just want it to live on. Let me list what I see as the known issues.

The bad
Adhesive pad damage to the BG
Playfield worn, Some of that in a moderately tough places, ie around the flippers
Only registers the 10's on the score reels
Rust on the legs
Rust on the apron

The good
Mechanicallly it's sound. Everythings there and is sound and clean
The cab is solid with minimal wear
Everything needed for a restore is easily available
The playfield around the cards under the drop targets is clean

So I took a little Novus to it. I'll clean up the main contacts tomorrow. Fired it up and hand ran it through a few cycles. It's begging to be brought back and played. I have a few more pics.

RF 1.jpgRF 1.jpg
RF 2.jpgRF 2.jpg
RF 3.jpgRF 3.jpg
RF 4.jpgRF 4.jpg

#23 10 years ago

I live in SNH and would give it a new home. Im in Litchfield.

#24 10 years ago

That works.

#25 10 years ago

Alight, after working on our truck for a few hours I decided to give Royal Flush a little love. I cleaned up all the main connections in the head. Then I hand played a few games while watching and adjusting the 10's 100's and 1000's relays. It now plays and scores as it should for all four players. I tried to take a video but for some reason the video was tilted no matter which orientation I used with my IPhone.

IMG_1247.JPGIMG_1247.JPG
#26 10 years ago

Royal Flush found a new home. Thanks to you all for your interest, it's very much appreciated.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Cruzin1a:

Royal Flush found a new home. Thanks to you all for your interest, it's very much appreciated.

and a Big thanks to you for helping to save an EM from a parts bin and finding a new owner who hopefully restores the machine back to its former glory.

Ken

#28 10 years ago

I'll second that........

#30 10 years ago

I saved the machine. I have a gentleman who was looking for a 4 player. Condition wasnt important but this RF was not in bad shape at all just the wear in the bottom half of playfield. It will be in its new home saturday Thanks Cruzn1a

#31 10 years ago

You're welcome! It was a pleasure to meet you and know that someone will get a chance to play the pin. The pin is definitely in the right hands

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-flush-what-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.