pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
RF player unit (resized).jpg
L relay1 (resized).jpg
L relay2 (resized).jpg
RF p3 problem (resized).JPG
RF 10000 problem (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

After a year in storage and two moves, my 4-player Royal Flush is acting really weird on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th players. I've spent countless hours trying to diagnose and problem-solve, but nothing has changed. Here's what's wrong:

(Player 1 - all functions on player 1 seem to work fine.)

Player 2 - the 10,000 score reel will not respond/does not turn (but the chimes do work for those points)

Player 3 - the 1,000 and 10,000 score reels will not respond, and there are no chimes for those points (there's a coil buzz in the chime box.)

Player 4 - seems to play OK except that 1,000 points are added each time the ball is kicked out of the trough at the start of P4's turn.

Notes:
The problems are consistent for each player in each of its 3 turns. (Machine is set for 3-ball.) All score reels do reset to zero at the beginning of the game. I have overhauled and tested all 16 score reels, the backbox stepper motor, coin unit stepper, and the 0-90 relay. I even wire-brushed pins on every Jones plug and checked over the entire machine for stuck switches, bad connections, visible shorts to no avail. I have a schematic in rough shape but mostly readable. I'd be grateful for any hints the EM group might have. Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

For your problem with Player 2 and the 10,000 reel: This is the circuit that fires the "Add 2nd. 'Ten Thousands' unit" coil. You only have 3 switches to check - you can use the wire colors to identify the switches. 9th. pos. 2nd "Thousands" switch is on the P2 1000 score reel and should close when the score reel gets to the 9 position. The P2A switch is in the player unit in the head and should be closed during player 2's turn. I think the L relay is in the head too.

RF 10000 problem (resized).JPGRF 10000 problem (resized).JPG

#3 1 year ago

Following up with what PaulAce said above, these problems are all consistent with issues with your Player Unit switches for player 2, 3, and 4

Alberto

#4 1 year ago

For your player 3 problem - the 1,000 and 10,000 problem are the same problem, since the 10,000 just run off the 1,000 reels - that is, there's no separate relay that runs the 10,000 score reels, and there's nothing on the playfield that scores 10,000 pts. If your 1,000 reel isn't moving, but you're getting some buzzing from the chime coils, it could be that the L relay, (the 1,000 relay) isn't able to relax. There is a normally-closed end-of-stroke switch on each score reel (except the 10,000's) that the plunger opens when it is pulled in by the coil.

In the circuit below, you can see that these EOS switches are all in series with the locking switch on the L relay. They do it that way so that even a momentary closing of a 1,000 pt switch will still allow the score reel plunger to pull all the way in and complete its movement. These switches opening are what breaks the L relay power. If that "On Add 3rd Thousands" switch isn't opening, it might explain what you're seeing:

RF p3 problem (resized).JPGRF p3 problem (resized).JPG
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

For your player 3 problem - the 1,000 and 10,000 problem are the same problem, since the 10,000 just run off the 1,000 reels - that is, there's no separate relay that runs the 10,000 score reels, and there's nothing on the playfield that scores 10,000 pts. If your 1,000 reel isn't moving, but you're getting some buzzing from the chime coils, it could be that the L relay, (the 1,000 relay) isn't able to relax. There is a normally-closed end-of-stroke switch on each score reel (except the 10,000's) that the plunger opens when it is pulled in by the coil.
In the circuit below, you can see that these EOS switches are all in series with the locking switch on the L relay. They do it that way so that even a momentary closing of a 1,000 pt switch will still allow the score reel plunger to pull all the way in and complete its movement. These switches opening are what breaks the L relay power. If that "On Add 3rd Thousands" switch isn't opening, it might explain what you're seeing:[quoted image]

This is getting stranger. The series of 5 switches you showed can never be in that state at the same time, i.e., the L lock is open while the other 4 are closed. On my machine, all are either open at the same time or closed at the same time. It's tough to see in the 2 photos I took, but it's true. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong. I did confirm wire colors, cleaned and manually tested each switch, then game-tested with no change in behavior.

L relay1 (resized).jpgL relay1 (resized).jpgL relay2 (resized).jpgL relay2 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

I think you're looking at the wrong switches. Only the switch marked "L" in the schematic is on the L relay - that's what the designation "L" on the schematic means. It should have a GR-WH-RED on one leaf, and a WH-BR (white wire with brown tracer) on the other leaf. Each of the other 4 switches is on a different score reel. Look for a switch on the player 3 "1000" score reel that opens when the metal plunger is pulled all the way in. It should be closed otherwise.

Each of the other score reels (except the 10,000 reels) should have a similar switch.

A schematic is NOT a physical representation of the circuit layout. It's an electrical drawing showing how things are wired together - switches that appear next to each other on a schematic may be at opposite ends of the machine or anywhere in-between.

#8 1 year ago

I think alberto confirms my original suspicions regarding the player unit as the culprit. (Paulace alludes to that advising they're the "wrong switches.") The reels can't be the issue; I've rebuilt too many of them to know they're ok. Just to confirm, the "player unit" we're talking about is the monster stepper motor in the head. It's not labeled on either the machine or the schematic. Photo attached. Where I could use some guidance is where to go in the unit and the schematic for troubleshooting. I've worked on plenty of these devices in the past, but with cams and gears, etc., this one is a hybrid challenge. BTW, I did perform a general cleanup on the unit, but stopped short of a full overhaul. Thank you for your input and indulgence.

RF player unit (resized).jpgRF player unit (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

I think alberto confirms my original suspicions regarding the player unit as the culprit. (Paulace alludes to that advising they're the "wrong switches.") The reels can't be the issue; I've rebuilt too many of them to know they're ok. Just to confirm, the "player unit" we're talking about is the monster stepper motor in the head. It's not labeled on either the machine or the schematic. Photo attached. Where I could use some guidance is where to go in the unit and the schematic for troubleshooting. I've worked on plenty of these devices in the past, but with cams and gears, etc., this one is a hybrid challenge. BTW, I did perform a general cleanup on the unit, but stopped short of a full overhaul. Thank you for your input and indulgence.
[quoted image]

Yes, that is the player unit.

For as many things you are noting not working correctly, and they all point to the player unit, it is recommended you service all of the switches on it.

You will notice the switches are all mounted to a common plate. If you look closer you will see the plate has two screws in holes and two screws in slots at the other end of the plate. Remove the two fixed hole screws, loosen the two slotted hole screws, and you can pull the plate away and easily burnish and clean the points of all of the switches. Use a point file, not a flex stone.

Once the switches are all burnished and clean and the plate is assembled back into the unit, manually stroke the player unit and check each switch for proper open/close/wipe. There should be very few, if any at all, that need adjusting.

Be sure to remove the wiper disc and clean and lube(with Super Lube) the rivet heads on the rivet plate. Be sure to mark the alignment of the wiper plate before you remove it. (looking closer at you photo it looks like the wiper and rivet plates have already been serviced.)

#10 1 year ago

If Player unit switches are at fault, have a look at P2A and P3B

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11 1 year ago

These tips are great. I'll be attacking this bad boy over the next few days armed with some good information. I hope to have good news soon. You'll be hearing back from me either way. Thanks to all, and enjoy this 4th of July to the extent possible. Kind regards.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Use a point file, not a flex stone.

Mike could you elaborate? Why and specifically what type of point file. Thanks! Nice description in your post.

#13 1 year ago

Ignition points file. I picked my last one up at Napa auto or thru PBR.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Mike could you elaborate? Why and specifically what type of point file. Thanks! Nice description in your post.

I had the same question for Mike about why to use the point file over the flexstone. I have both. (Flexstone left, point file right.)

point file (resized).jpgpoint file (resized).jpg
#15 1 year ago

The flexstone is inconsistent in its ability to refresh the surface of the contact. And it leaves debris after using.

The point file insures you get a refresh of the contact point surface. Any debris left over is from filings. The key is to be gentle with it. Get contact and insure you have lightly refreshed the surface. If it is a tungsten point a more aggressive filing is appropriate.

What is easier but isn't always perfect is Nic's dremel approach. This method is quicker and mostly polishes any contaminants from the points. It is the most consistent to refresh the surface yet abraid it as little as possible. The qualification to this is if the points are pitted.

Clay did a thorough explanation here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dremmel-for-contacts#post-4234622

Personally, the dremel works most of the time and should be effective on the RF player unit. Those points should never pit.

#16 1 year ago

I did a full overhaul of the player unit as MikeO detailed. I wish he had posted his follow-up notes before I got to work on the unit about how to clean the contacts using gentle pressure. I hope I didn't remove too much contact material in the process. The overhaul worked wonders: all of the erratic or missing functions returned to normal. I was also able to uncover another issue via a running score motor at reset. There was one faulty score reel (P1 10s unit) that was preventing P3 and P4 score reels from completing their resets. I overhauled that unit, as well as the other three P1 score reels since that row gets the most use. Everything works great. There is one other issue that cropped up which I will post separately about awarding extra 1000 and/or 2000 points at random for drop targets. Meanwhile, thanks to all for the advice, guidance and expertise. I thought I'd never get the machine running again. And special thanks to Paulace for reminding me to be more disciplined when servicing score reels.

#17 1 year ago

Glad you got it going! It's a great game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-flush-stranger-things?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.