(Topic ID: 251401)

Royal Flush - Start Relay Buzz- Is this normal?

By Barakawins1

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

When powering on Royal Flush I can hear and feel vibration of the start relay. However once I start the game all is well. Is it normal for the reset relay to make noise prior to startup? if not, how to solve this?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

When powering on Royal Flush I can hear and feel vibration of the reset relay. However once I start the game all is well. Is it normal for the reset relay to make noise prior to startup? if not, how to solve this?

You could have the relay energizing the brackets with the A.C. current.
One needs to make sure that the brackets are not getting A.C. leakage.
Check the brass dampening washer. Etc, etc, etc.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

energizing the brackets with the A.C. current.

I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I can hear and feel vibration of the reset relay.

On the Royal Flush schematic I see the Start (S) relay and Reset Completed (AX & AXR) relays. But no reset relay.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

On the Royal Flush schematic I see the Start (S) relay and Reset Completed (AX & AXR) relays. But no reset relay.

HowardR you are correct. I meant the Start Relay is buzzing.

#7 4 years ago

Hi Barakawins1
You write "hear and feel vibration, Start-Relay is buzzing - after start all is well". When it does buzz - is the armature activated - means the relay is pulling ? Greetings Rolf

#8 4 years ago

Hi Rolf, when you turn on the game the start relay buzzes. After starting the game it stops.

#9 4 years ago

Look at the coil and see if looks cooked

#10 4 years ago

Ok.. I was chasing the wrong relay.. ugh.. It's the game over relay which is buzzing when you initially turn the game on. The stack pulls and you can see it
buzzing. I tried adjusting the contacts and I now messed something up. Does someone have the switch stack adjustment for this relay?

#11 4 years ago

Hi Barakawins1
in the schematics - in the list of relays there is "Q 3A, 2B, 1C Game Over Relay" --- 3 switches of type-A, 2 switches of type-B, 1 switch of type-C --- type-A is Normally-Open (N.O.) switch is switch is open when the relay is non-pulling, type-B is Normally-Closed (N.C.) switch is switch is closed when the relay is non-pulling, type-C is a threebladed Make-and-Brake (M&B) switch (one part of the switch is kind a N.O. - the other part is kind a N.C.).
Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) --- gentle actuate the armature and watch one switch - You should see if the switch wants to open or wants to close --- in the three-bladed M&B switch You should see which part wants to open - which part wants to close. (((We can search in the wirings (schematics) for colors of wires soldered-on to a switch and see "N.O." etc.))) --- but what I do when having the problem is: I do gentle actuate the armature and watch ... Greetings Rolf

#12 4 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#continuous

Swap out the Game Over Hold coil with one that won't burn up. Check out the link. That's what I did on my Royal Flush to get rid of the chattering.

#13 4 years ago

Rolf! Thanks so much for your explanation. I was able to correct everything. Seems that Q (Game Over Relay) does many things. One is it controls the game over light on the backglass, controls swapping between players 1-4 and also controls the amount of balls per game ejected. I had score displays scoring at different players at one point. Adjusted all switches (which was a total PIA) but all is well now. Thanks so much.

As for my original problem with the noisy relay, well this is because the coil is someone darkened. It only buzzes during attract mode. Once the game is played, the switch stack no longer pulls so the noise is gone. I'll play it like this for a while. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-flush-reset-relay-buzz-is-this-normal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.