(Topic ID: 120551)

Royal Flush: Drop Down Targets Award Too Many Points (fixed!)

By monsonb

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by monsonb
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield Paint 1.JPG
2B Gaps.JPG
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 10.34.55 PM.png
DSC01777.JPG
DSC01768.JPG
DSC01771.JPG
DSC01770.JPG
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 8.26.12 PM.png
DSC01755.JPG
DSC01756.JPG
DSC01743.JPG
DSC01749.JPG
DSC01731.JPG
DSC01741.JPG
G left.JPG
G right.JPG
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I've got a really beaten down Royal Flush that I'm trying to bring back to life. I'm working on the drop targets. I've cleaned the front and back switches with a flex stone, and I've made sure the back switches only connect momentarily when the target drops. And the front switches switches stay closed once the target drops.

My problem is when a target drops the points keeps adding up. The motor turns and turns while the chimes happily award me points. And it's random. Sometimes the Ace target awards me 2000 points and it's done, and other times it runs for 30,000 points or more. It's the same for the other drop targets. Very seldom do I have to shut off the machine to stop the score reels. Eventually they do stop awarding points.

The other point mechanisms on the playfield score points normally.

According to the schematic, the nine drop target switches are all wired in parallel, and all feed the Drop Target relay ('X' relay) in conjunction with a normally closed switch at motor 1C. So I would think it has to be a a problem with the targets, but I can't see it.

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

DSC01700.JPGDSC01700.JPG
DSC01701.JPGDSC01701.JPG
Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 11.03.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-06 at 11.03.25 PM.png

#2 9 years ago

Some of your switch "stays" aren't adjusted right.
They are there to hold one side of the switch stationary (more or less) and prevent switch "bouncing". I'd get all of those adjusted first.

I don't think that will cure the issue though.
Most of the time that I see this, it's caused by the drop target dropping too slowly. When knocked down, they should "snap" down very rapidly.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 9 years ago

see here for an example of what Chris is mentioning:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-tech-tip-mystery-stuck-switches

If that doesn't yield anything, report back. Then can look at whether X and G are deactivating when they should.

#4 9 years ago

I can also see in the picture that the reset bar is missing a part. There should be a gutter shaped piece of metal along that reset bar. Without it, the reset bar will cut into the "lifting fingers", and eventually, enough that the target won't be lifted far enough to reset.

If you know what to look for, you can see it in this picture:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Volleydrop011.jpg
--
http://webpages.carter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I can also see in the picture that the reset bar is missing a part. There should be a gutter shaped piece of metal along that reset bar. Without it, the reset bar will cut into the "lifting fingers", and eventually, enough that the target won't be lifted far enough to reset.
--
http://webpages.carter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

Hmm, and now that you mention it, it's also missing all the rubber stops for the triggers too.

(can see the black circle remains of where they were.)

(OK, there are a couple left I see now.)

#6 9 years ago

Thank you for the replies! I'll check the "stays" this afternoon and report back.

#7 9 years ago

I checked the "stays", but that didn't fix the problem. I can manually drop a target with the playfield in the service position, and I can see that there is no contact being made at the rear switch, but the points keep adding up.

I tried replacing a few of the lower springs with ones from the hardware store. They didn't have an exact replacement; I had to shorten the new ones a bit. That made the targets drop with more snap, but that's it.

How do I go about checking the X and G relays?

Thanks for the help!

#8 9 years ago

When a drop target switch closes, it activates (energizes) the X relay.

A switch closing on the X relay activates the G relay (which is the Hole relay; the drop targets score the same as the kickout hole value).

A switch closing on the G relay causes the score motor to run. Since the continuous scoring also has the score motor running, then first need to confirm if it is the G relay causing it.

The X relay is locked on (stays energized) via a switch on itself, and a switch at score motor position 2B. When the switch at motor 2B opens, X should de-energize.

The G relay is locked on via a switch on itself and another switch on the score motor (which I can't make out on the schematic; check yours for the correct one).

So, with the playfield up and the game getting into this state, observe the X and G relays. See if they are both locked on, and pay particular attention to whether they stay locked on 'solid' or whether they show a small moment of de-energizing/re-energizing.

If one is staying on solid, then that suggests the score motor switch for the lock on path isn't opening.

If they 'blip' off then back on, then that suggests a switch back at the drop target is still re-driving X.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the information! I'll check that and report back.

#10 9 years ago

I put the machine in position, and I widened the gap for the "Ace" target switch so it'd would be really tough for it to vibrate or touch the "stay". The score motor turned once, the score reel read 1,000, and that was it. I guessed that I had found the culprit, but when I slow slid the target into the top position, the score motor got stuck and rang up about 12,000 pints before it stopped. I could see the switch wasn't making contact.

When I lightly engage the X relay with my finger the score motor might turn once, or it will get stuck and keep awarding points for 5 to 15 turns. When it gets stuck it stops as soon as disengage the X relay.

So this doesn't seem like a problem with the drop target switches. Is my switch problem in the motor?
I'm really new to reading schematics, and I was hoping I could be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.18.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.18.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.12.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.12.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.09.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.09.12 PM.png
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

Thanks for the information! I'll check that and report back.

Did you observe the X and G relays while the score motor was running? What was the result?

Both of these relays are locked on via score motor switches at position 2B (but different switches). It's not the easiest position to see/access, but those switches would be worth checking to see that they are opening correctly, and that the switch stack there is tight.

#12 9 years ago

I checked the motor switches at position 2B. They are normally closed, and an a peg on the motor touches a blade that is supposed to push both switches open.

I could see sparks coming from both switches when they were supposed to be open, and the motor kept on turning. When I used a toothpick to open the switches further, the motor immediately stopped.

I think the 2B motor switches are my problem -thanks DirtFipper! I cleaned the contacts with a flex stone, and tried to bend them so they open with more gap, but I can't get them adjusted correctly. I adjust too much and the game won't start because they're slightly open. Put them back and the game motor runs on 'cause the gap's not wide enough and there's a spark. It's frustrating, and after an hour I quit so I wouldn't get mad and break something.

Any tips on how to make a NC switch open with a wider gap?

Thanks!

#13 9 years ago

First make sure the switch stack screws are in tight (so the switches can't be loose).

In this case, since the lifter blade is pushed up via the cam peg, you may need to bend the whole stack a bit closer to the peg, so that when the peg hits the lifter blade, there's enough lift motion to open the blades being lifted (rather than trying to open the switches more alone).

#14 9 years ago

I reached under the 2b stack and gently pushed the switches closer to the motor. The drop targets now only register 1000 points like I think they should, but the kick-out coil fires every time the drop targets drop. Also, the scores behind the drop target bank no longer register any points.
And I have to go to bed... dang.

#15 9 years ago

I don't think I was gentle with the 2B stack as I thought. Looking at it this morning, I can see the second switch, the one that's under the C switch stack, is now open when it's suppose to be closed. I'll have to adjust that when I get home from work and see what that does.

#16 9 years ago

Working on score motor switches while the board is still in the game is really pretty much a PITA.

And position 2B is about the worst one to access. Sometimes it helps to remove the cotter pin and flip the score motor up. A good, strong light also helps.

Normally I'd suggest doing this with the score motor board pulled out (and systematically going through everything at once), but for just the once issue to resolve there's too much chance of introducing other problems.

#17 9 years ago

I think flipping the motor up is the way to go. Is there only the one pin to pull, or are there more?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

I think flipping the motor up is the way to go. Is there only the one pin to pull, or are there more?

Just one pin.

#19 9 years ago

Not to add to the potential for confusion. But it's very possible to have a hard to diagnose switch short on the score motor stacks due to the switch blade contacting the screw holding down the stack. The switch stack should (should) have insulating sleeves that guard against this- however these occasionally crack or are missing (one fell out 30 yrs ago whatever). It really seems like your seeing mid adjusted switches and this is your issue. However, just file this away as something else to consider if it's not immediately apparent why it does not fix. Also- check the back of the switch stack for solder tabs that are bent too close and perhaps making intermittent contact. And finally- The cams on the score motor or possibly the tabs on the bottom of the switch stack that engage the cams- either can be worn to the point where either the switches never fully seat or never fully quite engage. I had a switch stack in a game that was problematic and discovered a few mm wear on one side of a tab on a switch stack and was able to loosen it and just twist it enough so the other half of the tab hit the cam and all was good.

I am not suggesting you inspect these things right now as it seems like you found fishy behavior (oh check for insulating fish tape between switches on stack too)- keep on track with what your doing but remember these potential issues going forward.

#20 9 years ago

Take caution when playing with the score motor. I personally can speak from experience here- it's all to easy to be convinced you took it apart carefully and made it all good when in fact you introduce another problem. Obviously there are many points of failure in there and this is not the place to go in and start ripping apart the entire thing unless your absolutely certain you can read the schematics and adjust every single switch to the correct factory setting. Just go SLOW and make very very sure your working on the right switch! So easy to be wrong and pay for it. I swore up and down I knew what I was doing and rebuilt an entire score motor and then wasted over a week on this forum swearing it could not be the score motor switch stack because I had @fixed it- turns out I had not-

#21 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, tips, and support. I don't plan on spending any more time on the score motor than I have to. I just want to get the 2B switches straightened out, and get out of there. I'll try to go as slow as I can, though.

#22 9 years ago

Ok, I'm back on track. I got the second 2B NC switch to close, and the rollover switches work again along with the 500 and 3000 point targets.

Instead of turning endlessly, the drop switches either score 1000 - like I think they should - or they score 2000 and make the kick out hole arm activate.

It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was, and I'm relieved I didn't "kill" this project by messing with stuff I shouldn't have. Work kind of sucked today, so it was nice to come home and score a minor success.

I'm not sure why some drop targets score 1000, and others 2000, though. I think I'll clean the drop targets some more and see if it's a problem up there. I don't feel like nudging the 2B switch right now.

Thank you, DirtFlipper and Rufessor.

#23 9 years ago

I forgot to thank ChrisHibler. I just ordered a parts catalog from Pinball Resource to see what else my machine's missing. Thanks, Chris.

#24 9 years ago

My pleasure sir.
I'm happy to hear that you are making progress.
But let's not stop now...

Royal Flush drop targets will score 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000 dependent on the number of Jokers made.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

When a drop target switch closes, it activates (energizes) the X relay.

A switch closing on the X relay activates the G relay (which is the Hole relay; the drop targets score the same as the kickout hole value).

A switch closing on the G relay causes the score motor to run. Since the continuous scoring also has the score motor running, then first need to confirm if it is the G relay causing it.

The X relay is locked on (stays energized) via a switch on itself, and a switch at score motor position 2B. When the switch at motor 2B opens, X should de-energize.

The G relay is locked on via a switch on itself and another switch....

...at score motor 2B.

A switch on G causes the score motor to run.

Motor switches at 1A will pulse 5 times per 1/3 revolution.
The logic that implements the 1000 to 4000 scoring is found at row 7 of the schematic, and captured below.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Looking at the motor sequence chart...

image.jpgimage.jpg

...we see that normally closed switches at motor 2C, 3B, and 1B open in turn (shown by the black bars). This circuitry causes one or more of the 1000 point scoring to "drop out" and not be scored.

The easy case to understand is when all 3 jokers have been hit, and 4000 points should be scored.

The motor starts turning, and begins to pulse the 5 times due to motor 1A.
The normally closed motor switch at 4C remains closed until all scoring has been completed.

When the motor reaches the first pulse of motor 1A, the following switches, in series, are all closed...motor 1A, motor 4C, motor 1B, motor 3B, motor 2C, and a switch on G. This causes the game to score 1000 points by energizing relay L (1000 point relay).

When the motor reaches the second pulse of motor 1A, motor 2C has dropped out, so the prior path described can't be followed. But, since the purple joker has been hit (trip relay 3B), the following path can be made to score the second 1000 points. Motor 1A, motor 4C, motor 1B, motor 3B, G, trip relay 3B, and yet another switch on G. Again, L is energized to score 1000.

When the motor reaches the third pulse of motor 1A, motor 3B has dropped out, so once again, another path must be followed. Since the white joker has been hit (trip relay 2B), the following path can be made to score the third 1000 points. Motor 1A, motor 4C, motor 1B, G, trip relay 2B, yet another switch on G, motor 2C, and the final switch on G.

You get the picture, and can extrapolate for the fourth pulse of motor 1A, and scoring the fourth 1000 points.

For the fifth pulse of motor 1A, motor 4C drops out, and no more scoring is possible for the remaining 1/3 revolution of the score motor.

To complete the action, motor 2B (21H on the schematics) opens up, G is "unsealed", the motor continues to run until the switch stack at motor 1C drops into the cam slot, the motor "carry through switch" at motor 1C opens, and the motor stops.
Q.E.D. (all done).

The game is now ready for the next scoring event.

The guys who built these games, all without the aid of computers, were true geniuses.

If you don't have a contact adjuster tool from The Pinball Resource (or other), get one.

Now...soldier on...and get this thing 100%
--
http://webpages.charter.net/chiblr/Pinball/index.htm

#25 9 years ago

The kickout hole is activated via a normally open switch on G in series with a normally closed switch on X, normally open switch at motor 4C, and a normally closed switch on BX.

G is activated by either the kickout hole switch itself, or X. And X is activated by the drop targets (which score the same value as the kickout hole, as noted above).

But the reason that the normally closed switch on X is in the path is to avoid activating the kickout hole when G is activated via X (i.e. so the drop targets don't activate the kickout hole). The goal is that since X is activated from a drop target, that normally closed switch will be open while X is active, and block the path to activate the kickout hole coil.

Since the game is sometimes able to activate the kickout hole when a drop target is hit, then that suggests the path through that X switch is getting closed while G is still active and motor 4C closes. It could be as simple as adjusting that switch on X (so that it more fully opens).

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The kickout hole is activated via a normally open switch on G in series with a normally closed switch on X, normally open switch at motor 4C, and a normally closed switch on BX.

Again, thanks for the replies. It's amazing how much I don't know.

I think I'll try adjusting the switch on X first. I believe I found the path on the schematic that DF is referring to. Am I looking to adjust the switch that connects a Yel-Red wire to a SL-Red wire?

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 1.15.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-11 at 1.15.42 PM.png
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

It's amazing how much I don't know.

welcome to my world...

you are in good hands though...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

Am I looking to adjust the switch that connects a Yel-Red wire to a SL-Red wire?

Yep.

#29 9 years ago

Okay, I found the Yel-Red to Sl-Red switch on the X Relay, and I adjusted it so it would open a bit more. That fixed my problem the first time I manually dropped the targets - each one scored 1000 points and that's it, but on the second test run the score motor rotated twice and the kick out hole activated when a target dropped. But not every time.

I moved the switch on the X relay out a bit more, and then the kick out hole wouldn't activate. So, I figured I had found the right switch: moving it in allowed the kick out hole to work again.

I tried cleaning the switch's contacts with 400 sandpaper - the flex stone didn't fit very well - and that worked for one test run. Then the problem of over scoring/ kick out hole came back. I cleaned the rest of the contacts on the X relay and on the G relay too, but that didn't change anything.

It's weird. I can lightly touch the back contact of the Ace drop down target and the motor will do one turn and score 1000 points. Repeat the action and get the same result. Touch it for the third time and the motor will turn three times, register 3000 points, and the kick out hole will fire. Or it will turn twice and the kick out hole will fire.

If I lightly engage the X relay I will get 1000 points four to ten times in a row, and then the next time the motor will turn a few times and the kick out hole fires.

It's been almost three hours and my head hurts.

#30 9 years ago

Did you tighten the switch stacks on X and G before making adjustments?

Some pictures might yield some clues also.

It's basically a timing interaction between those motor 2B switches and X and G switches.

Another possibility is that the armature plate on G has gotten magnetized and isn't releasing as well. Or the spring is a bit tired. If G is slow in releasing, then it can do weird things like this. Can try swapping springs with another relay (just to see if it's an improvement).

#31 9 years ago

I made sure the screws on the switch stacks were tight before I tried bending the switch on the X relay or cleaning the switches on both G and X.

I'm sure you're right; my problem occurs when the switches aren't working in sync.

That spring swap idea is clever. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

#32 9 years ago

Another thing to check, just to be sure, is that the "switch dogs" haven't been moved. There are 5 of them on RF. All of them should be in the "S" position with the exception of motor 2C, which should be in the "L" position. Sometimes people shotgunning will move these switch dogs, and mess up the timing of the score motor switches.

Some advice...don't adjust anything unless you have a strong reason for doing that. Don't simply "try" something. Reason through the schematics. "Trying" results in switches getting so far out of adjustment that it takes much longer to get the game working again.
--
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

#33 9 years ago

Can you direct me to a picture of a "switch dog"?

#34 9 years ago

look on your schematic on the left side, for the thing that looks like a tuning fork with an 'S' and 'L' on it. That's the switch dog bracket. The switch dog is the black metal insert that sits in the 'S' or 'L' slots in the bracket.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Some pictures might yield some clues also

What should I take pictures of?

#36 9 years ago

motor 2B, X, and G

#37 9 years ago

X:

X left.JPGX left.JPG X right.JPGX right.JPG
#38 9 years ago

G:

G left.JPGG left.JPG G right.JPGG right.JPG
#39 9 years ago

2B:

DSC01731.JPGDSC01731.JPG DSC01741.JPGDSC01741.JPG DSC01743.JPGDSC01743.JPG DSC01749.JPGDSC01749.JPG
#40 9 years ago

I'll check the switch dogs tonight after work.

Thanks.

#41 9 years ago

The switch dog on 2C looks fine.

But on 2B, I see fishpaper on the inside switch, but I can't quite tell if there's fishpaper on the next switch. When that switch stack lifts, are those separated blades able to touch?

X and G look OK from appearances at least.

#42 9 years ago

I don't think I can recognize the fish paper. In which photos do you see it? (Top photo being #1, bottom being #4.)

#43 9 years ago

It's just a strip of paper that insulates in between two blades. You'll see several pieces of it in the switch stack at 2C, for example. They just kind of float in between the metal blades (see pic #4).

#44 9 years ago

A couple more pics of 2B. One taken from the bottom and one from the top - just to see if someone can spot a problem I'm missing. Thanks.

DSC01755.JPGDSC01755.JPG DSC01756.JPGDSC01756.JPG
#45 9 years ago

Tough to tell much, as good as those pics are.
Could you recap, what exactly is the behavior you are seeing?
--
http://webpges.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

#46 9 years ago

When I hit a drop down target (with no jokers hit) I can score 1000 pts, 2000 pts, 2000 pts with the kick out hole activating, or 3000 pts with the kick out hole activating.

It doesn't seem to matter what target is being hit. For instance, the Ace target might score 1000 pts the first time, but on the second ball it scores 3000 pts with kick out.

I'm testing this with glass off, and tossing the ball against the targets by hand.

#47 9 years ago

First clue is that the kickout hole should not be kicking
--
http://webpags.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

#48 9 years ago

True. I found the Yel-Red to Sl-Red switch on the X relay that activates the kick out hole, and I moved it out a bit so the NC switch would open a bit more, but that didn't help. And if I moved it out more the kick out hole was simply disabled.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 8.26.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-12 at 8.26.12 PM.png
#49 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Another possibility is that the armature plate on G has gotten magnetized and isn't releasing as well. Or the spring is a bit tired. If G is slow in releasing, then it can do weird things like this. Can try swapping springs with another relay (just to see if it's an improvement).

I tried swapping springs and that didn't seem to make a change. I also tried tightening the G relay spring by three loops. Same result. I'm temped to tighten it some more.

The machine's play meter is at 100,300 and it doesn't work anymore. Would a new set of springs on the relays and drop target bank help?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

I tried swapping springs and that didn't seem to make a change. I also tried tightening the G relay spring by three loops. Same result. I'm temped to tighten it some more.
The machine's play meter is at 100,300 and it doesn't work anymore. Would a new set of springs on the relays and drop target bank help?

No. And you should stop attempting to adjust the springs. That's a shotgun move. In all my years of fixing EM games, I've never had to take a loop out of a relay spring.
--
http://webpags.charter.net/chibler/Pinbal/index.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-flush-drop-down-targets-award-too-many-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.