View topic image gallery

20200817_175304 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Capture (resized).png
RoyalFlushScoreMotor (resized).jpg
Stepper (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hello, I'm really glad to have found this forum! I have what I believe to be a 76 Royal Flush EM. I have owned it for years and let a friend use it for about a decade. It has been in an climate controlled environment but not played for eight years. I just got it back home this weekend and I am excited to restore it to it's former glory. It worked when I took it to my buddy's house but I guess the dormant years haven't been kind. I checked all of the fuses and cleaned all of the the buss plugs. When I switch it on it cycles back and forth from the score motor to the stepper in the back of the machine. Any pointers as to where to begin? I'll upload a video later today...

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomb1:

Hello, I'm really glad to have found this forum! I have what I believe to be a 76 Royal Flush EM.

You're not sure? Did someone paint over the name?

Quoted from Tomb1:

When I switch it on it cycles back and forth from the score motor to the stepper in the back of the machine.

What stepper is it? and do the score reels reset?

#3 3 years ago

If the score motor keeps running, start by finding out which of these switches/relays is causing that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 3 years ago

You're not sure? Did someone paint over the name?

No...lol. I was told when I bought it that is was from 1964. I see now that is from 1976.
The previous owner told me the serial number ended in 64 so that meant it was from then.
This was pre-internet.....

What stepper is it? and do the score reels reset?

The score reels are on zero. I don't see them trying to reset.

RoyalFlushScoreMotor (resized).jpgRoyalFlushScoreMotor (resized).jpgStepper (resized).jpgStepper (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the score motor keeps running, start by finding out which of these switches/relays is causing that.
[quoted image]

Will do, Howard.

#7 3 years ago

Thank you dog!

#8 3 years ago

Here is a video of it cycling...

#9 3 years ago

I can't tell from the pic if all the wires are securely on this moving arm, esp. between the two at the top of the pic.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomb1:

When I switch it on it cycles back and forth from the score motor to the stepper in the back of the machine

In your video, it appears that when you "switch it on" it sits quietly as it should until you press the Replay button.
After you do that, exactly how far is it getting in the start sequence from the manual?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I can't tell from the pic if all the wires are securely on this moving arm, esp. between the two at the top of the pic.
[quoted image]

All the shown solder joints are solid and showing continuity.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

In your video, it appears that when you "switch it on" it sits quietly as it should until you press the Replay button.
After you do that, exactly how far is it getting in the start sequence from the manual?
[quoted image]

It looks like it is hanging on #5. This starts immediately when I hit power button on the underside of the machine.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomb1:

It looks like it is hanging on #5

Z1 and Z2 do score resets, but yours are already on 0. The rivets on that player unit look they could use a cleaning. Do the little 'snowshoes' on the arm move easily and snap back if pulled?

#14 3 years ago

They all seem to be moving freely.

#15 3 years ago

I cleaned all the rivets with 1800 grit paper and the "points" also.

20200817_175304 (resized).jpg20200817_175304 (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

The AX relay has 2 coils, an A9735 and an A5662. If the A9735 coil has an Orange&Black wire connected to it, and the relay is in the position where the A9735 was activated, that would be a valuable clue to the cause of this problem.

Or If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#17 3 years ago

I will check that this evening Howard. I started verifying the relays last night. I need to buy a schematic to verify the readings on the coils...most were in the 15 range but a few were down around 4 ohms. The AX coils being one of those.

#18 3 years ago

It may well be that AX and BX need adjustment. Pull the cotter pins that hold them (carefully, so they don't fall under the bottom board) and have a close look as you manually operate the plastic armature. Both have make/breaks that need to be adjusted just right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royal-flush-cycling-won-t-resetnewbie-to-em-?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.