Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 7.46.43 AM (resized).png
IMG_9779 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9779 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purdue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'd like to add some GI and effect lighting to my non OE funhouse topper. I usually am not a huge fan of home-brew toppers, but i think this one has potential to look OEM with some lighting effects.

My initial thoughts went to mounting the Funhouse ticket topper to a black painted steel pan with a 90 bend up front concealing an LED strip for GI. Then using GnR (or Gnr style) roving spotlights on both ends. It could be super neat and have that funhouse circus feel. Intergrating/ controlling the roving spots seems like the hangup, not to mention how to even purchase the spotlights. I imagine the GnR spots are controlled from a node board and the game coding. Which makes this most likely over my head, and most likely a non starter.

So, my other thoughts were maybe one light strip as mentioned above for GI and some other type of lighting to add simple effect lighting. Does anyone know whether there are any LED strips that have built in simple effects? Maybe like a sparkle or bouncing etc... Alternatively, I could use some of the LED wedge blinkers but those might get kinda obtrusive.

Maybe there's another aftermarket topper i could rob the lighting and base from?

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?
IMG_9779 (resized).jpegIMG_9779 (resized).jpegIMG_9779 (resized).jpegIMG_9779 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-12-10 at 7.46.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-10 at 7.46.43 AM (resized).png

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

The light strips that can be controlled by an arduino are your best bet. There are lots of sample light routines you can add, if you don't want to code one up yourself.

Thanks for the idea! I will investigate.

I wonder if i can find a simple generic 16" strip kit > Something similar to my DugFreez speaker lights kits with rf remote and preprogrammed effect options.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purdue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roving-sparkle-flashing-led-strips-topper-help-me-church-it-up?tu=Purdue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.