Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Last question for the day for me, how often should one replace the round lithium batteries (the 3V ones like the one in Family Guy)? I finally found my FG backglass keys (was worried I would have to drill it) . . . was surprised to see the type of battery it was . . . how often does that need to be replaced from a conservative point of view (or is there still the risk of leaking at all)?

Thanks in advance.

#2 11 years ago

These types of lithium batteries have been used for years on computer motherboards. I've worked in IT for about a decade, taken apart lots of different systems (including some very old ones) and don't recall ever seeing a motherboard which had battery corrosion. Usually the only way we can tell if a lithium button battery is dead is to check the voltage on a multimeter. On that basis I'm inclined to say it is probably low risk. On a PC, these often have to be replaced after 6 to 8 years, but I have no way of knowing if the power draw on Stern pinball games is similar to what you see in PCs.

#3 11 years ago

That is extremely helpful JDG. So no leakage issues and I don't have to change it right now - it looked clean as it could be, just wanted to check. Good to know!

Why don't they put these into all pinball machines? Can't be the cost or they wouldn't have put it in FG? (Just out of curiosity.)

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for explaining that JDG. I was wondering the same thing.

#5 11 years ago

I change mine every three years just to be safe...

#6 11 years ago

Midway used lithium batteries on all their arcade vid pcb's in the 90's, so I have no idea why they didn't use them in pins. It seems like the batteries fail way before there would ever be a risk of leaking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-lithium-battery-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.