Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Round 4 - Elite Eight Voting”

• (1) Pirates of the Caribbean (JJP) VS 204 votes
      11%
    • (8) Lord of the Rings 247 votes
      14%
    • (2) Medieval Madness VS 238 votes
      13%
    • (7) Twilight Zone 234 votes
      13%
    • (3) Attack From Mars VS 251 votes
      14%
    • (11) Indiana Jones (Williams) 202 votes
      11%
    • (4) Monster Bash VS 187 votes
      10%
    • (5) Jurassic Park (Stern) 259 votes
      14%

(Multiple choice - 1822 votes by 520 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Roy-Square-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200413-125018_Gmail (resized).jpg
    Record by Era (resized).JPG
    Record by Company (resized).JPG
    Round 3 Results (resized).JPG
    Round 4 Bracket Elite Eight (resized).JPG
    Round 4 Matchups (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

As stated, the remakes will skew the results in their favour, but it's still cool to see the battle!

MM and AFM were highly regarded before there were remakes. I for one hope TZ knocks out MM.

#44 3 years ago

I have an AFMr and a TZ right now; I had an original MM for about a year or so. All three of the games are superb machines.

MM suffers in the eyes of many due to the scoring being somewhat unbalanced. Many tournament players do not particularly like MM. The scoring is really the games only weakness though.

TZ suffers in the eyes of many because it is a high maintenance game. Some people dislike the stop and go gameplay style of it as well...it has so many interactive toys that the ball stops constantly. This doesn’t bother me one bit, I love all the jam packed features TZ has and the theme integration is really the best of the B/W era other than maybe TAF.

AFM has the most balanced code of the three, really superior software to MM in particular as AFM has three distinct viable strategies to pursue in tourney play. Some people are not a fan of the artwork on AFM, but it doesn’t bother me.

My personal rating of the three head to head is TZ #1, AFM #2, and MM #3. All that said, modern games just have so much deeper code that it is hard to compare them. Games like BM66 and Dialed IN are just so loaded with things to do and ways to approach the game play. Of course, complexity doesn’t mean better, sometime a simple game is what someone wants to play (hence, MM is so highly regarded).

#101 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'd say TZ's code holds up well against modern code. There's a shit-ton to do in that game with some decent stacking. Lots of modes, battle the power, loops, dead ends, two main multiballs, hitch hikers, Gumball, camera, slot, clock... So much code!

Hands down. TZ is best coded game from the 90’s, primarily due to all the things that have to interact with the ball (there was an overwhelming amount of toys that needed code). People talk about how WOZ approaches TZ from a toy perspective, but it really doesn’t. TZ is still more loaded than WOZ.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I understand your arguments regarding tournament aspects but I don’t think it concerns most of the players that play casually

Yes, agreed. Tourney players are a big minority of pinball players. Games that niche of the hobby like and do not like is not reflective of the hobby at large.

#131 3 years ago

TZ is a mere 13 votes behind...as voting is coming in an end.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-4-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.