Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Round 4 - Elite Eight Voting”

• (1) Pirates of the Caribbean (JJP) VS 204 votes
      11%
    • (8) Lord of the Rings 247 votes
      14%
    • (2) Medieval Madness VS 238 votes
      13%
    • (7) Twilight Zone 234 votes
      13%
    • (3) Attack From Mars VS 251 votes
      14%
    • (11) Indiana Jones (Williams) 202 votes
      11%
    • (4) Monster Bash VS 187 votes
      10%
    • (5) Jurassic Park (Stern) 259 votes
      14%

(Multiple choice - 1822 votes by 520 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Roy-Square-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200413-125018_Gmail (resized).jpg
    Record by Era (resized).JPG
    Record by Company (resized).JPG
    Round 3 Results (resized).JPG
    Round 4 Bracket Elite Eight (resized).JPG
    Round 4 Matchups (resized).JPG
    There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'd say TZ's code holds up well against modern code. There's a shit-ton to do in that game with some decent stacking. Lots of modes, battle the power, loops, dead ends, two main multiballs, hitch hikers, Gumball, camera, slot, clock... So much code!

Hands down. TZ is best coded game from the 90’s, primarily due to all the things that have to interact with the ball (there was an overwhelming amount of toys that needed code). People talk about how WOZ approaches TZ from a toy perspective, but it really doesn’t. TZ is still more loaded than WOZ.

#102 4 years ago

Noooo, IJ is about to loose
    I have AFM, IJ, JP, LOTR among the top 8.

IJ is just the complete package, so that was the easy choice for me.
    AFM is great as well, but playing IJ just makes me in a good mood everytime

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hands down. TZ is best coded game from the 90’s, primarily due to all the things that have to interact with the ball (there was an overwhelming amount of toys that needed code). People talk about how WOZ approaches TZ from a toy perspective, but it really doesn’t. TZ is still more loaded than WOZ.

I played mine ALOT last night...reminded me how amazing that game really is...

Aware it's not for everyone, and nothing wrong w that.

TZ and TAF were the only HEP worthy games in my lineup ( for me), and they never disappoint.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I played mine ALOT last night...reminded me how amazing that game really is...

Let's see what i spent a lot of time on last night.... camera lit-->left orbit-->camera help-->triple pick up

#105 4 years ago

Lets see how the Elite 8 of past years has looked....

Quoted from jar155:

Lord of the Rings vs. White Water
    Attack From Mars vs. The Addams Family
    Monster Bash vs. Tales of the Arabian Nights
    AC/DC vs. Star Trek: The Next Generation

Quoted from jar155:

Modern Bracket
    Wizard of Oz vs AC/DC
    Monster Bash vs Indiana Jones (WMS)
    Tron vs Cirqus Voltaire
    The Addams Family vs Scared Stiff

Quoted from jar155:

Here are the Elite 8 of 2012!
    Twilight Zone
    vs
    Lord of the Rings
    Attack from Mars
    vs
    TRON
    Medieval Madness
    vs
    The Addams Family
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    vs
    Spider-Man

#106 4 years ago

As of 1300 EST the vote totals are as follows:

Why the disparity? How are people not putting in a vote for all four match-ups?

Guess which one is top heavy... Ghost votes perhaps?

Once these brackets are done, I would love to see PinSide setup an Elo Rating System. Log in with your account and then you are provided two pins, pick one, data gets recorded, two more pins, etc... Then you get to see a true Elo ranking. I think the data would be very telling.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reaper802:

Once these brackets are done, I would love to see PinSide setup an Elo Rating System. Log in with your account and then you are provided two pins, pick one, data gets recorded, two more pins, etc... Then you get to see a true Elo ranking. I think the data would be very telling.

Could be people didn’t vote in a matchup because they don’t have experience with either game. I skipped a matchup in round 1 with two games I had never played.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from SNES:

Could be people didn’t vote in a matchup because they don’t have experience with either game. I skipped a matchup in round 1 with two games I had never played.

JJP-PotC and JP2 are the two newest games left. Their total vote number track right in line with AFM vs IJ which everyone in their mother has played. If that were the case why is AFM/IJ not tracking like MM/TZ.

I'm half tempted to code up the Elo ranking system myself but I'd need to find a place to host it.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

It's actually quite simple to understand after a couple games. They did such an incredible job with the call outs and easy to understand data on the screen, it's easy peasy after just a few plays.

Yea I am kind of sick of all the hyperbole behind the complexity of playing POTC. If you know general pinball terms (which I imagine most people here know considering it is a pinball forum), I can teach you the majority of the rules in 5 minutes.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

20 + characters w/ individual rule sets?

Each character slightly modifies the rules of an aspect of the game. They do not have their own rulesets and it is not complicated. It would be nice if they organized them so beginner players were suggested to play a character like Norrington or Barbosa.

#111 4 years ago

Post a video....I'd love to hear an explanation that my 10 year olds are willing to comprehend On the other hand MM and AFM are very easy to explain....POTC, WOZ not so much....maybe u just have a much higher IQ than we do

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Yea I am kind of sick of all the hyperbole behind the complexity of playing POTC. If you know general pinball terms (which I imagine most people here know considering it is a pinball forum), I can teach you the majority of the rules in 5 minutes.

I'm just sick of all the talk about POTC in this poll period. Notice LOTR still kicking it's ass, w almost no chatter. There are other games in this bracket, believe it or not.

Back to TZ, nearing the 2/3 mile mark...is there any gas left ( said with humor as I love both of these games dearly)?

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Post a video....I'd love to hear an explanation that my 10 year olds are willing to comprehend On the other hand MM and AFM are very easy to explain....POTC, WOZ not so much....maybe u just have a much higher IQ than we do

Love my WOZ, but can't get any non pinheads to play it w me....

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

My main complain with TZ is I don’t like theme and then the atmosphere of the game.
    There is nothing to argue, just a matter of taste and color.
    MM is so fun and humorous game and I consider it had the best toy ever made.
    I understand your arguments regarding tournament aspects but I don’t think it concerns most of the players that play casually

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I understand your arguments regarding tournament aspects but I don’t think it concerns most of the players that play casually

Yes, agreed. Tourney players are a big minority of pinball players. Games that niche of the hobby like and do not like is not reflective of the hobby at large.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I'd say it is best how lyman has done Metallica. If you know nothing, you can walk up to it and beat on sparky and have fun. If you want deep, you've got lots to do in it as well. I can't think of a pinball machine that does that better than Metallica.

I can...Stern's JP. Metallica is a fun game casually...but when you really start to dig into it, it really is like chopping wood. Which is why I never bought one. JP, on the other hand, is easily as deep (if not deeper) and never feels like chopping wood. The only other game that gets my blood pumping like JP is IM...and maybe to a lesser extent Tron and BSD.

#117 4 years ago

For me JP was more wood choppy than Met.
    I get what you're saying, but the thing about me is when you set the PF right, as in what's lit and where, when that shit starts rolling it all blends from one thing to the next. I havent even played since they dumbed it down, but I imagine it's even less choppy now.

I don't understand how MET is a chopping chore, when you own a IM that seems very similar. Hit ramps for drones, hit monger to raise monger to hit monger. Hit war machine again and again, same with whiplash etc etc.

#118 4 years ago

Sorry but what means « Chopping wood »?

#119 4 years ago

Like chopping broccoli.

#120 4 years ago

Like having to hit the same shots over and over, like you're chopping a tree....in order to get any exciting things to eventually happen. Like it's a grind to get there.

#121 4 years ago

I'd have to really love the other game to vote against a game I haven't played. That's why I wouldn't vote in certain cases.

POTC for the win...!

#122 4 years ago

I missed the start of this damn it. Oh well I'm checking it out now at least. Thanks for doing this!

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Like having to hit the same shots over and over, like you're chopping a tree....in order to get any exciting things to eventually happen. Like it's a grind to get there.

Thanks buddy

So I can say that I have never had this feeling neither with Met nor with JP. Obviously when you own them since a long time and play them regularly, I think it is normal.
    The only one that gave me this feeling is Star Trek, quite quickly actually

#124 4 years ago

I would compare chopping wood to pinball as performing the same task over and over again. MET is famous for this besides the Crank it Up modes which are unfortunately only unlocked much later in the game. Want to start a multiball? Hit the same shot over and over again. Then most of the multiballs play the same way. Same goes with ACDC with its song modes and multiballs often requiring a single shot to be hit again and again.

Other examples are games filled with "super modes" that have you hitting the same shot over and over again. Games filled with "super ramps", "super pops", and "super bumpers" type modes come across in my opinion as filler modes with little value compared to well flushed out story based modes. The same goes for modes that have a player just hitting a ramp or orbit 5x, then 10x, etc.

A ruleset such as that in LOTR is the complete opposite of above and has modes that require the player to work the entire playfield in interesting ways while telling a themes story through unique mode animations, music, callouts, and sounds. When a game then implements that type of mode design into multiballs and wizard modes that have multiple stages you get a ruleset that makes players coming back again and again. Those are a couple reasons why I think LOTR has been so well regarded for this long.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Like MM, which somehow is so highly rated.

#126 4 years ago

So I can say that I have never had this feeling neither with Met

Try to get to end of the line or play any multiball. The wood chopping is real.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would compare chopping wood to pinball as performing the same task over and over again. MET is famous for this besides the Crank it Up modes which are unfortunately only unlocked much later in the game. Want to start a multiball? Hit the same shot over and over again. Then most of the multiballs play the same way.
    Other examples are games filled with "super modes" that have you hitting the same shot over and over again. Personally I'm not a fan of games filled with "super ramps", "super pops", and "super bumpers" type modes that come across as filler modes with little value compared to well flushed out story based modes. The same goes for modes that have a player just hitting a ramp or orbit 5x, then 10x, etc. A ruleset such as that in LOTR is the complete opposite of this and has modes that require the player to work the entire playfield in interesting ways while telling a themes story using animations, music, callouts, and sounds.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm not even sure that's Sparky all day is a good strategy anymore for Metallica. I'm trying to reach the End of the Line and to do that you're trying to shoot one of the five main shots then one shot each to Sparky, Grave Markers, and Snake. After that you need to shoot the same shot again and finally a shot to the captive ball to lock it in. If you're shooting the same shot over and over and over you're doing it wrong. The multiballs are more just a way to collect your items once more of those shots are lit. During every game, I'm strategically aiming for every single shot at some point in that game.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can’t say about JP right now.
    Regarding Met, my best score is near 500M, 2 CIU completed, failed in the third.
    I really like the game all the more as I’m not a Metallica fan, by far.
    I think I like Lyman game, TWD is still my favorite.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A ruleset such as that in LOTR is the complete opposite of above and has modes that require the player to work the entire playfield in interesting ways while telling a themes story through unique mode animations, music, callouts, and sounds. When a game then implements that type of mode design into multiballs and wizard modes that have multiple stages you get a ruleset that makes players coming back again and again. Those are a couple reasons why I think LOTR has been so well regarded for this long.

So true. I'm always amazed by the all-overness feel of LotR, how it uses the entire playfield in so many ways for so many modes.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

At least for me I'm trying to reach the End of the Line and to do that you're trying to shot one of the five main shots then one shot each to Sparky, Grave Markers, and Snake.

To reach End of the Line you need to play 5 crank it up modes (The 5th being end of the line). To play a crank it up mode you need to hit 10 or so, crosses, snakes, sparky and coffin. There are some short cuts, yes, but that’s the rule. The qualification of future crank it ups is the exact same process except more shots to each.

That’s extremely wood choppy. If I’m not going for the wizard mode, I like MET alright, but man it becomes a chore if you’re trying to reach the end of the game. Not a fun ride.

#131 4 years ago

TZ is a mere 13 votes behind...as voting is coming in an end.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

To reach End of the Line you need to play 5 crank it up modes (The 5th being end of the line). To play a crank it up mode you need to hit 10 or so, crosses, snakes, sparky and coffin. There are some short cuts, yes, but that’s the rule. The qualification of future crank it ups is the exact same process except more shots to each.
    That’s extremely wood choppy. If I’m not going for the wizard mode, I like MET alright, but man it becomes a chore if you’re trying to reach the end of the game. Not a fun ride.

I guess I define wood chopping as doing something repetitive, ex. hitting the same shot over and over. When the process of advancing requires hitting nearly every shot on the playfield it doesn't feel like a chore. Also, I would say the "short cuts" are the rule not the exception. You are not shooting 50 Snake, and 50 Sparky, 50 Grave Markers to light your Crank it Ups. You only need to hit each shot once to light it for the main shots in the game, five total. Then use those shots to collect your items since they are awarding three items per shot. I find it no more repetitive then shooting the saucer in AFM or red arrows in LOTR.

#133 4 years ago

But be careful because if you lock in the inserts of all shots you start seek and destroy and they all unlight again! Haha. It’s like the game hates you and never wants you to reach the end. And the process of lighting the shorts cuts is much harder than you describe especially since most aren’t locking them in so they reset each ball.

Wood chopping or not, the journey needs to just be fun. The journey of LOTR or TWD or MM or many others are fun.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

But be careful because if you lock in the inserts of all shots you start seek and destroy and they all unlight again! Haha. It’s like the game hates you and never wants you to reach the end.
    Wood chopping or not, the journey needs to just be fun. The journey of LOTR or TWD or MM or many others are fun.

I do agree with Seek and Destroy. It's not worth collecting since it halts your progress. I almost think it should have been a multiplier. Complete a shot on Seek and Destroy and now that shot awards double the number of items. I've owned both MET and LOTR. I rate them both highly, but prefer MET.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

TZ is a mere 13 votes behind...as voting is coming in an end.

Got as close as 5, now slipping a bit...think she jumped out of the gate too strong...

I will play it exclusively tonight, celebrating the best fight yet for the King, lol...

My quest is always LITZ...nothing worse than draining w one panel left and scoop lit..

#136 4 years ago

I need to spend some quality time with TZ. It's a game that I've only flipped on location a few times, but it was indecipherable. It feels like woz to me. A bunch of cool toys and no idea what I'm actually targeting or why.

MM on the other hand is a one trick pony that I and people that I've played it with seem to intuitively get and just flip and have fun. It also helps that its one trick is the equivalent of jumping over the Grand Canyon by way of the moon on a tricycle. The castle is just that cool.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarZ_78:

I'd have to really love the other game to vote against a game I haven't played. That's why I wouldn't vote in certain cases.
    POTC for the win...!

Not even gonna make the quarters...

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

I need to spend some quality time with TZ.

It's so rewarding when you put it together. Such a great game.

In my top 2 no matter how I calculate enjoyment.

#139 4 years ago

I'm surprised jp is tagging along.
    Sure the layout is fine, even though some of the shots are really to narrow.
    The problem is, that the shots are challenging, but not really rewarding.
    The game isn't fun enough
    Combine with a terrible apperance, zero engaging assets and new Sterns overall cheap Ikea feel, it's kind of puzzling.
    We have a jp on lease at home, and The family enjoy it, but there isn't really any wow-factor, once the T-Rex gets old. The t-rex( much like MM) , associated to the easiest shot in the game, doesn't really help either in the long run.

As it stands right now, potc beeing out, i have a very Hard time seeing anybody beat afm.

Granted, i Dont have enough time on LOTR, having only played it on a dark location, with it having probebly The worst GI ever, didn't help, but I got the same stale kind of feeling the hobbit has.

Flame away.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

... To play a crank it up mode you need to hit 10 or so, crosses, snakes, sparky and coffin. ... The qualification of future crank it ups is the exact same process except more shots to each.
    That’s extremely wood choppy. ...

Another benefit to only being a mediocre pinball player - I rarely make it to my 2nd Crank It Up mode. Thus MET never gets too wood choppy for me and consequently, I still LOVE it!

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Another benefit to only being a mediocre pinball player - I rarely make it to my 2nd Crank It Up mode. Thus MET never gets too wood choppy for me and consequently, I still LOVE it!

If I had a complaint with Metallica, it's that the best points come from crank it up. Period. You aren't gonna go on any high score board without getting to at least one of them. No matter how awesome you do outside if CIU in that game, it doesn't mean a whole bunch, points wise.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

If I had a complaint with Metallica, it's that the best points come from crank it up. Period. You aren't gonna go on any high score board without getting to at least one of them. No matter how awesome you do outside if CIU in that game, it doesn't mean a whole bunch, points wise.

I’ve seen people crush high score boards from right ramp to piston all day. If you can consistently do it, the values get insane.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Well all the progress in the game moving towards CIU, so it only makes sense.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve seen people crush high score boards from right ramp to piston all day. If you can consistently do it, the values get insane.

That is super fun to do, but my god have I gotten some amazing crank it ups that would equal damn near 70% of my score.

#145 4 years ago

Anyone who says Medieval Madness is a one shot game isn't playing it right. In a tourney I can see the castle being the only shot worth while. In my basement its battle for the kingdom or bust. I dont even shoot for the castle until I started getting all the champions lit.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Anyone who says Medieval Madness is a one shot game isn't playing it right. In a tourney I can see the castle being the only shot worth while. In my basement its battle for the kingdom or bust. I dont even shoot for the castle until I started getting all the champions lit.

Same with me and AFM. I don't play for score, I play for Rule The Universe.

The great thing about pinball is that there is no wrong answer to 'Best game ever'... Except X-Files, that game sucks.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reaper802:

I honestly don’t know what the hell you’re going on about.

#148 4 years ago

MM hanging on with 90 minutes to go.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I guess I define wood chopping as doing something repetitive, ex. hitting the same shot over and over. When the process of advancing requires hitting nearly every shot on the playfield it doesn't feel like a chore. Also, I would say the "short cuts" are the rule not the exception. You are not shooting 50 Snake, and 50 Sparky, 50 Grave Markers to light your Crank it Ups. You only need to hit each shot once to light it for the main shots in the game, five total. Then use those shots to collect your items since they are awarding three items per shot. I find it no more repetitive then shooting the saucer in AFM or red arrows in LOTR.

The red arrows? What does that mean?

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

MM hanging on with 90 minutes to go.

EPIC!!!!

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-4-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition/page/3?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.