Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by AFM95
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Matchup Voting”

• (1) Godzilla VS 184 votes
      3%
    • (64) Game of Thrones 27 votes
    • (2) Medieval Madness VS 191 votes
      3%
    • (63) Led Zeppelin 18 votes
    • (3) Jurassic Park (Stern) VS 156 votes
      2%
    • (62) The Getaway: High Speed II 55 votes
      1%
    • (4) Attack From Mars VS 181 votes
      3%
    • (61) Centaur 28 votes
    • (5) Deadpool VS 187 votes
      3%
    • (60) Halloween 18 votes
    • (6) Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast VS 182 votes
      3%
    • (59) KISS 24 votes
    • (7) Monster Bash VS 182 votes
      3%
    • (58) Legends of Valhalla 24 votes
    • (8) Elvira's House of Horrors VS 128 votes
      2%
    • (57) Whirlwind 79 votes
      1%
    • (9) Twilight Zone VS 176 votes
      3%
    • (56) Alien (Heighway) 31 votes
    • (10) Metallica VS 156 votes
      2%
    • (55) Guardians of the Galaxy 47 votes
      1%
    • (11) Lord of the Rings VS 134 votes
      2%
    • (54) Bram Stoker's Dracula 71 votes
      1%
    • (12) Star Trek (Stern) VS 117 votes
      2%
    • (53) Total Nuclear Annihilation 86 votes
      1%
    • (13) Cactus Canyon VS 179 votes
      3%
    • (52) Toy Story 4 26 votes
    • (14) Pirate of the Caribbean (JJP) VS 104 votes
      2%
    • (51) Fun House 103 votes
      2%
    • (15) Rush VS 115 votes
      2%
    • (50) Star Wars (Stern) 91 votes
      1%
    • (16) The Big Lebowski VS 107 votes
      2%
    • (49) Iron Man 92 votes
      1%
    • (17) Avengers: Infinity Quest VS 147 votes
      2%
    • (48) Alien (Pinball Brothers) 55 votes
      1%
    • (18) Indiana Jones (Williams) VS 131 votes
      2%
    • (47) Creature from the Black Lagoon 78 votes
      1%
    • (19) Guns n' Roses (JJP) VS 50 votes
      1%
    • (46) The Shadow 154 votes
      2%
    • (20) Stranger Things VS 162 votes
      2%
    • (45) James Bond 007 (Stern) 40 votes
      1%
    • (21) Weird Al's Museum of Natural Hilarity VS 94 votes
      1%
    • (44) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 107 votes
      2%
    • (22) The Addams Family VS 158 votes
      2%
    • (43) The Hobbit 47 votes
      1%
    • (23) Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory VS 85 votes
      1%
    • (42) Black Knight: Sword of Rage 118 votes
      2%
    • (24) AC/DC VS 162 votes
      2%
    • (41) Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle 37 votes
      1%
    • (25) Batman 66 VS 109 votes
      2%
    • (40) Cirqus Voltaire 92 votes
      1%
    • (26) Star Trek (Williams) VS 140 votes
      2%
    • (39) The Mandalorian 63 votes
      1%
    • (27) Tales of the Arabian Nights VS 77 votes
      1%
    • (38) White Water 127 votes
      2%
    • (28) Rick and Morty VS 64 votes
      1%
    • (37) The Walking Dead 140 votes
      2%
    • (29) Spider-Man VS 86 votes
      1%
    • (36) The Simpsons Pinball Party 120 votes
      2%
    • (30) Theatre of Magic VS 115 votes
      2%
    • (35) Scared Stiff 90 votes
      1%
    • (31) TRON: Legacy VS 118 votes
      2%
    • (34) Ghostbusters 86 votes
      1%
    • (32) Wizard of Oz VS 79 votes
      1%
    • (33) Dialed In 122 votes
      2%

(Multiple choice - 6552 votes by 238 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

How to Vote (resized).png
    Greatest Pinball of All-Time 2023_1 (resized).png
    Greatest Pinball of All-Time 2023 (resized).png
    2023 matchups round 1 (resized).png

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

ROUND 2 voting is now open: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-2-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition-2023

________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Everyone,

It's that time of year again - March Madness. We did this tournament bracket in 2020 and 2021, but missed 2022 for some reason. It has been exactly two years since I created the last bracket, and a lot has changed in two years, especially the Pinside Top 100, which everyone loves.

For those who aren't familiar with how this works, you can familiarize yourself with the rules here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition

If you hate clicking on links, don't worry, I have you covered. See below for this year's rules.

- How are the seeds determined? This is decided by today's (3/12/23) Pinside Top 100; we're only using the Top 64 ranked games.

- Who "plays" who? #1 rated pin plays #64, #2 rated pin plays #63, #3 rated pin plays #62, and so on.

- How do we decide a winner? Your voting. There will be 32 matchups to start the first round, which will be cut down 16 next round, and so on. Once this round is complete, I will start a new thread with each round.

- How long is the voting open? Voting for the first round will stay open until 10pm EST/7pm PST Wednesday. Votes will be tallied and the new round of 32 will start on Thursday.

- Your voting poll is confusing, how do I know what to do? I have attached a matchup spreadsheet as well as a sample voting photo (see gallery below). When you look at the voting poll, you'll see something like this:

1 Godzilla (JJP) VS 64 Game of Thrones

As you can see above, the higher ranked game (which will be on the left) is Godzilla, who is matching up again the lower ranked game (which will be on the right) Game of Thrones. Each individual matchup goes left to right. You would vote for one or the other, not both. If you do this right, you have an opportunity to vote 32 times this round.

- In an event there is a tie between the matchup, the higher ranked pin will move on to the next round.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to post below or send me a PM.

Last but not least, I hope this is fun for all of you as it is for me. There are some great matchups to vote on. Enjoy the tournament!

2023 matchups round 1 (resized).png2023 matchups round 1 (resized).pngGreatest Pinball of All-Time 2023 (resized).pngGreatest Pinball of All-Time 2023 (resized).pngGreatest Pinball of All-Time 2023_1 (resized).pngGreatest Pinball of All-Time 2023_1 (resized).png

How to Vote (resized).pngHow to Vote (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

Only took creating three topics and about five spoof polls before we got it right.

Voting is now open. Enjoy!

#3 1 year ago

Appreciate the work put in. These are fun.

#5 1 year ago

Fun as always....nothing too tough this round.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

wouldn't let me vote, guess my user level isn't high enough??

Maybe reloading the page will work? It looks like we have votes coming in.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Maybe reloading the page will work? It looks like we have votes coming in.

yep! thanks, fixed! great fun!

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Fun as always....nothing too tough this round.

My bracket is filled with “upsets” though. Dialed In, Scared Stiff, The Shadow, Funhouse, Dracula, Whirlwind and Getaway all walk to round 2

#9 1 year ago

Scared stiff vs ToM and CFTBL vs Indy are the two match ups I like. I can't wait to see how the voting goes.

Whirlwind for the biggest upset this round.

#10 1 year ago

Respect for the time taken to set up that poll.

#11 1 year ago

Looking back at 2020 and 2021:

2020: Medieval Madness was the #1 rated game at the time. Attack from Mars won the tournament (#2 rated game).

2021: Guns n' Roses (JJP) was rated #1. Twilight Zone (#9) beat our Medieval Madness (#2) by two votes, 121-119.

It'll be interesting to see how this year plays out.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

My bracket is filled with “upsets” though. Dialed In, Scared Stiff, The Shadow, Funhouse, Dracula, Whirlwind and Getaway all walk to round 2

I got all but 2 with you. If Hs2 was something else it would have taken it

#13 1 year ago

A quick evening bump for those who might not have voted yet.

#14 1 year ago

Dang, I picked more underdogs than favorites in the first round. There goes my chance to have a perfect bracket

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Dang, I picked more underdogs than favorites in the first round. There goes my chance to have a perfect bracket

Currently 12 matchups have spoiler potential.

I want to meet the one Pinsider who picked Led Zeppelin over Medieval Madness. That’s keeping it real right there.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Currently 12 matchups have spoiler potential.
    I want to meet the one Pinsider who picked Led Zeppelin over Medieval Madness. That’s keeping it real right there.

Gotta love loyalty, wasn't me though

#17 1 year ago

Love these brackets, nice work!

#18 1 year ago

The awful Spring Forward, have to go to work bump.

Shoutout to Arizona and Hawaii who don’t recognize DST.

#19 1 year ago

MET vs. GOTG for battle of the same layout is going to be good. Also wonder if FH or CFBTL will be the biggest round 1 upset.

But why does Alien get 2 entries into the tourney? I get the whole PB/HW thing, but it's hogging an extra spot IMO.

#20 1 year ago

Had to abstain from Stranger Things vs Bond since I've never played either

#21 1 year ago

Too many stern wins in first round.

#22 1 year ago

I was thinking we should do this but instead of the games, it's the club thread titles that are facing off.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

But why does Alien get 2 entries into the tourney? I get the whole PB/HW thing, but it's hogging an extra spot IMO.

Great question. The Top 100 has them listed as separate games because of manufacturer. I could have taken the 65th ranked game, but wasn’t sure which Alien I should remove.

I can certainly keep the latest version next year if it comes down to it.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

MET vs. GOTG for battle of the same layout is going to be good...

Easy Lyman win!

#25 1 year ago

Damn, I went to bed and it was a close race for my homie The Getaway, and I wake up to a blood bath.

RIP

#26 1 year ago

I'm putting game of thrones over Godzilla. Barely. But I am biased

#27 1 year ago

I have not played a few of these games so on those I will vote for the theme I would like better.

#28 1 year ago

After voting and checking results, only one of my picks didn’t align with the popular vote.

#29 1 year ago

I'd be much more interested to see a 65-128 bracket, just to see some different games. I wouldn't even put half these games in the Top 64.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

...I wouldn't even put half these games in the Top 64.

Yes but would you put Alien twice?

#31 1 year ago

Let's get bond off of this list

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Let's get bond off of this list

I have a feeling next year will have a completely different look to it.

A lot of big exciting titles coming out this year, and some of the games currently in the Top 50 will be moving out pretty quickly.

#33 1 year ago

Evening bump. About 48 hours until the first round poll closes. 145 Pinsiders have participated so far.

#34 1 year ago

Less than 36 hours to vote in Round 1.

We’re potentially looking at eight upsets in Round 1. I

Incredibly five of six JJP games might not make it to Round 2.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Incredibly five of six JJP games might not make it to Round 2.

And the one that does was up against another JJP

#36 1 year ago

The results are mostly that the left column is crushing the right column, but I'm happy to see Whirlwind doing way better against Elvira than I expected. Also, TNA is awfully close to Stern Star Trek. I like trek and all, never pass up an opportunity to play it, but imo it ought to be a free win for TNA. I feel like anyone who's been in the same room as a TNA would agree

#37 1 year ago

If this is based on the Top 100 I can see why so many people complain about it.

#38 1 year ago

It’s a bummer the greatest pin of all time has to go up against Godzilla in round 1

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

It’s a bummer the greatest pin of all time has to go up against Godzilla in round 1

I enjoy GoT. I would pick it over many of the other 63. Like most modern Sterns, once you learn the rules its a fun game.

#40 1 year ago

Any reason toggles aren't used instead of check boxes? It would make a lot more sense for a VS pole.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from WalrusPin:

Any reason toggles aren't used instead of check boxes? It would make a lot more sense for a VS pole.

I’m not sure what you mean. I believe you are limited to checkboxes if you allow people to choose more than one option.

If there is an easier way, I’m all for it.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I’m not sure what you mean. I believe you are limited to checkboxes if you allow people to choose more than one option.
    If there is an easier way, I’m all for it.

Yeah I don't get it either

#43 1 year ago

Great turnout so far. 183 Pinsiders have voted (thank you).

Less than 24 hours until the poll closes.

#44 1 year ago

Great poll! Can’t wait to see the winner of this year again
    It’s funny but I’ve changed opinion on a few games that I thought were great but cooled down on them after playing them more…

So I’m curious to see other people their experience here too!

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Had to abstain from Stranger Things vs Bond since I've never played either

I have both... Basically it's "a very fun game" vs " a kick in the groin"

#46 1 year ago

I couldn't vote. Said I had insufficient user level. Okayyyy. Lol

Anyway, I personally found my hardest match-up to decide between was TOTAN vs WW. Had I been able to vote, TOTAN was my choice.

I love WW, but TOTAN has far too much going on for WW to overtake it. Both awesome games.

Edit: After posting the above, I scrolled to see the polling results. Before I did, I tried 1 last time to cast my vote, and it accepted it. I guess I had to make a thread comment first?

Anyway, this is always a cool yearly thing to do. TY for putting in all the work it takes to do this.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I couldn't vote. Said I had insufficient user level. Okayyyy. Lol
    Anyway, I personally found my hardest match-up to decide between was TOTAN vs WW. Had I been able to vote, TOTAN was my choice.
    I love WW, but TOTAN has far too much going on for WW to overtake it. Both awesome games.
    Edit: After posting the above, I scrolled to see the polling results. Before I did, I tried 1 last time to cast my vote, and it accepted it. I guess I had to make a thread comment first?
    Anyway, this is always a cool yearly thing to do. TY for putting in all the work it takes to do this.

Definitely some tough matchups, especially games in the 20s-30s. Just wait for the next rounds as it gets tougher on who to vote for.

I appreciate your kind words. Although it is a lot of work, it creates a ton a fun for our group. Next year will be even crazier with all of the premier themes/pins coming out this year.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Definitely some tough matchups, especially games in the 20s-30s. Just wait for the next rounds as it gets tougher on who to vote for.
    I appreciate your kind words. Although it is a lot of work, it creates a ton a fun for our group. Next year will be even crazier with all of the premier themes/pins coming out this year.

I would anticipate a lot of upsets next year. New games ranked high will get beaten by proven, actually good games haha I’m calling it now!

#49 1 year ago

In the end, not that many upsets. Somehow I'm not sure this is the best way to do the matchups, but I'm not sure what would be better. (maybe completely random for the first round? Or maybe, since we're starting with a ranked system already, 1vs2, 2vs3, etc for the first round?) This way seems to be designed to keep the hard decisions to the last round, and the first round pretty easy choices, but why? Wouldn't GZ vs MM be a great first round match up? And JP vs AFM, and Deadpool Vs Iron Maiden, etc? Would definitely make the first round more interesting, and maybe more fair to the lower ranked titles; give them a better chance to make it to second round, and make the big boys work harder from the beginning. Something to thinks about for next time....

Anyways, I can't believe folks are choosing Rush over Star Wars??? Really????

#50 1 year ago

No Fish Tales? Anywhere?

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-1-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition-2023-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.