Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by D-Piddy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello, I am making progress on bringing a Demo Man back to life. I put a new RottenDog WPC PDB in it but am having a GI issue.

The two strings of GI lights on only the 6 pin (Violet) and 11 pin (White/Violet) of J120 & J121 do not light up.

-I traced continuity from the plugs through the entire circuit. No issues.

-I crimped just these two wires in each plug into a molex connector just to see if there was corrosion in the plugs, no difference.

-All fuses are good, checked both in and out of board.

-Swapping the plugs' location did not change anything.

-If I offset the connectors by one pin, so pin 5 and 10, the strings come on.

Is this a board issues? It is brand new, but all of my checking is telling me it is a board issue.

I see in the WPC schematics that J115 feeds this circuit, so I still need to check that to make sure that plug is fine, so I guess that could be it as well?

If I am putting LED's in, would there be any problems with wiring these to other GI lines so they light? One is a string in the backbox (J120) and the other is the left sling/return lanes (J121). I could tap into the other strings in the backbox for J120 and the right sling/return for J121.

Thanks in advance for any insight! I will post if it ends up being J115.

-Drew

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Piddy:

If I am putting LED's in, would there be any problems with wiring these to other GI lines so they light? One is a string in the backbox (J120) and the other is the left sling/return lanes (J121). I could tap into the other strings in the backbox for J120 and the right sling/return for J121.

Load-wise, probably not. However, lots of WPC games control the strings separately for lighting effects, and those would all be lost. Not sure if Demoman is one of those games.

Sounds like you have an issue with the new board. Maybe there's a bad connector solder connection on it.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I figured the load wouldn't be a problem. But I agree, I didn't want to lose the controlled portion of those lights.

Good news then, it was the J115 connector. I switched it from IDC to crimp and they came on no issues. I just need to bite the bullet and convert all the PDB connections to crimp. There have been a ton of these with oxidation that have caused issues.

Thanks again! Have a good one!

-Drew

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 81.95
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-wpc-pdb-gi-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.