39 days ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20C0DAF3-51AF-42EC-BFBD-9F4B140497F2 (resized).jpeg

#1 39 days ago

Over the last years, I've been a big user of Rottendog boards. I've likely spent well over $5000 on their products.

I recently purchased a Data East Flipper board FLP023 and have had some problems with the DIP switch setup.

1) I went to look at the schematic of the board for further information, but all of the board schematics are gone!

2) I contacted them by email, but after 2 weeks of waiting, no reply.

3) I phoned the number on the website, but get no answer and a message that voicemail messages have not been setup.

Is this now really a working business or just a cash grab on their prior reputation???

#2 39 days ago

Jim is a good supplier and person. I too have had issues but he has always fixed or sent me a new board in the end. I had no contact with him a few years ago and it turns out his grandchild was born. Give him a chance. He might have some family stuff going or something else. Keep trying of course, but as I said he always took care of me in the end.

#3 38 days ago

I agree that this may have been a great guy in the past,

BUT if he does not bother to reply to emails, does not bother to answer the phone, and does not bother to setup voicemail he is basically saying "get lost" to his customers.

Now when I call, I get a message that "the number is out of service"!

What kind of a guy does that make him now???

#4 37 days ago

Interesting....

#5 37 days ago

Jim really helped me makes things right when I had a problem. I'm guessing something very out of the ordinary happened and hopefully he'll be back in the loop soon. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

#6 37 days ago

i may have that schematic here... i'll check. I do know that the printed version is nearly impossible to read though

#7 36 days ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

i may have that schematic here... i'll check. I do know that the printed version is nearly impossible to read though

That's my problem -- The printed schematic is too small and fuzzy to read details. The online files have always been good for this as you can zoom in on them easily. However, all of the online files are now gone.

#9 35 days ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I agree that this may have been a great guy in the past,
    BUT if he does not bother to reply to emails, does not bother to answer the phone, and does not bother to setup voicemail he is basically saying "get lost" to his customers.
    Now when I call, I get a message that "the number is out of service"!
    What kind of a guy does that make him now???

He’s going thru new staff. I’ll see if I can get him to fix his contact info with correct info next time I see him

#10 35 days ago

Yes, that helps. Thanks very much.

Sad when pinsiders are vastly more help than the manufacturer himself.

#11 35 days ago
    Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

He’s going thru new staff. I’ll see if I can get him to fix his contact info with correct info next time I see him

I really can't see how new staff prevents him from replying to emails.

#12 35 days ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I really can't see how new staff prevents him from replying to emails.

You’re right. GL with getting help sir

#13 35 days ago

He left a message on my phone last Friday in response to a problem that I had with my MPU9211 (he's shipping a new one out to me to see if the bad sound issue on Sorcerer is that particular board). He did mention that he is currently understaffed and apologized that it took him a while to get back to me. Hopefully he's able to get his staffing issues fixed. His boards have helped me get several of my machines back up and running.

#14 34 days ago

I just talked to him as well. He's helping me out with an issue. He's a great guy and very helpful.

#15 34 days ago

Great asset to pinball. Wish he would do the shows again....

#17 33 days ago

Probably 5 months ago it took him over 2 weeks to get ahold of me. I sent emails and called often. Finally he called me back. Hopefully you hear from him

#18 33 days ago

Just got a message from Jim yesterday, although i'm sure that there's some form of chaos going on in his world.

#19 30 days ago

So.... I'm trying to connect with this company about a DE/SEGA PPB board that is having some fuse issues on F7 and F6 The original board I pulled had some GI out and no issues with the coils or flashers. Nothing has changed on the playfield and the old board is back in temporarily with no F7 or F6 issues. I sense there's just something not right with this replacement PPB board. Hey, nothing is perfect, right? I contacted the seller/distributor (great people) and they pointed me to Rottendog. Ok.., reasonable.

Have called Rottendog about 5 times (I keep calling, but let's not get carried away); emailed 3x times and then called the seller and had him actually speak with the key contact here and was told he'd call me today (yesterday). Nothing. Voicemail says "not set-up?". No answer. I'm not criticizing -- just noting my observation in this thread.

I understand that there are many with great experiences and personal relationships over years -- and others kinda scratching their head wondering wtf. Could be a billion great reasons why you can't get anyone. Just want to resolve it and support these types of small niche companies that keep our hobby alive -- but there's gotta be a reasonable minimum level of service. Again, to try and move towards making resolution easy -- I went ahead and sent the board to Rottendog and will be there Tuesday. IDK - If no response by then, well... no criticisms shall be cast but you know the next step. Just a report to share with others to document the experience.

Thanks

#20 30 days ago

He has been nothing but helpful to me and the pinball community at large. As a small business owner who supplies parts to a niche market, we are lucky to have people like him keeping this hobby alive. I am not excusing the unanswered phone calls, etc but for a small business, life can get in the way sometimes. I do hope he fixes his support documentation online and answers the phone,etc to support his products.

3 weeks later
    #21 5 days ago
    Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

Not sure if you have contact with Jim, but did you ever get any word on what is going on with him? He did finally get back to me about my MPU9211 sound issues on Sorcerer back when we were discussing his absence on this thread. I already bought another 9211 and installed it and the sound issues are now fixed, but I'd still like to send this one back to him with the ROMS that were installed by Big Daddys (I bought the second one from K's Arcade) to see if it's the ROMS or the board itself.

After I heard from him about 3-4 weeks ago telling me he would send me a box that I could send the board back to him in, he has disappeared again. I've sent him a few texts asking for updates (but only occasionally, I don't want to blow up his phone since it's not that urgent at this point), but haven't gotten any responses at all.

#22 5 days ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

After I heard from him about 3-4 weeks ago telling me he would send me a box that I could send the board back to him in, he has disappeared again. I've sent him a few texts asking for updates (but only occasionally, I don't want to blow up his phone since it's not that urgent at this point), but haven't gotten any responses at all.

Don't wait on him to send you a box, just get a box and send it or it will probably never happen.

John

#23 5 days ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Don't wait on him to send you a box, just get a box and send it or it will probably never happen.
    John

If he not communicating now risk of losing board if sending. Best to wait until his issues resolved before sending stuff.

#24 4 days ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

If he not communicating now risk of losing board if sending. Best to wait until his issues resolved before sending stuff.

This was EXACTLY my thought. I don’t want to blind-send a $400+ board.

#25 4 days ago

I've been waiting over a month. No responses at all. Perhaps he's no longer interested in our business.

#26 4 days ago

I had a hell of a time getting repairs for 2 new broads that both had failures out of the box.
    Was like pulling teeth to get my money back and getting a repair back. Which wasn't actually repaired.
    Lots of no responses etc.
    Boards still sitting here dead until he pre-pays for postage to return it. Not going through that mess again.

Too bad. We seriously need someone like this to make boards. The WPC power driver and DMD boards are shite designs apparently.

#27 4 days ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

I had a hell of a time getting repairs for 2 new broads that both had failures out of the box.
    Was like pulling teeth to get my money back and getting a repair back. Which wasn't actually repaired.
    Boards still sitting here dead until he pre-pays for postage to return it. Not going through that mess again.
    Too bad. We seriously need someone like this to make boards. The WPC power driver and DMD boards are shite designs apparently.

Same thing happened to me, I lost shipping money both ways but if I waited on him then I'd still be here with a game that didn't work. I sent it back, got a refund and have went with Ni-Wumpf boards ever since and never looked back. Couldn't be happier.

John

#28 4 days ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

This was EXACTLY my thought. I don’t want to blind-send a $400+ board.

To each his own I guess. Best of luck.

John

#29 3 days ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

I had a hell of a time getting repairs for 2 new broads that both had failures out of the box...

Sorry to hear that, it had to be tough on those girls...

#30 2 days ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

I would say the original designs are the best by far. Sure they have some weaknesses, but nothing too serious that can't be fixed and/or upgraded.

#31 2 days ago

Saw this thread pop up to the top so wanted to provide an update to my original post from about a month ago.

In the end, once I was able to connect with Jim, he was extremely helpful, understanding and did what he said he would do. That right there is the thing that matters. I trust his word.

Also, the distributor /shop I bought from was terrific and supportive through the process. Great communication etc.

I agree with the comments I read here. When the new board I bought was obviously not right, i packed it up and shipped it to him blindly with a note.

I was able to reach him the day it arrived. He answered the phone. I nearly fell off my chair. Also, the phone number is a cell so it’s textable. ( short messages seem to work ).

Net net: while the overall customer experience is perhaps less than desirable - it seems like this is basically a standup guy, trying to support the hobby with needed parts.

My advice is stay calm; be diligent; be proactive; don’t worry. It will work out.

20C0DAF3-51AF-42EC-BFBD-9F4B140497F2 (resized).jpeg
    #32 1 day ago
    Quoted from twoplays25:

Saw this thread pop up to the top so wanted to provide an update to my original post from about a month ago.
    In the end, once I was able to connect with Jim, he was extremely helpful, understanding and did what he said he would do. That right there is the thing that matters. I trust his word.
    Also, the distributor /shop I bought from was terrific and supportive through the process. Great communication etc.
    I agree with the comments I read here. When the new board I bought was obviously not right, i packed it up and shipped it to him blindly with a note.
    I was able to reach him the day it arrived. He answered the phone. I nearly fell off my chair. Also, the phone number is a cell so it’s textable. ( short messages seem to work ).
    Net net: while the overall customer experience is perhaps less than desirable - it seems like this is basically a standup guy, trying to support the hobby with needed parts.
    My advice is stay calm; be diligent; be proactive; don’t worry. It will work out.[quoted image]

I'll second this. He did everything he could to help me out with an issue in the last month via phone calls and texts.

#33 1 day ago

Hopefully someone from RD can chime in and let us know whats up. That would be reassuring.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 17.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 289.00
    $ 7.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 210.00
    Playfields
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 99.00
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside