Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by Robotworkshop
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 39 days ago

Just a heads up to everyone. I guess Rottendog is now under new Ownership - good news I suppose.

The Good news - I got my Combo 3-6 Board Fixed. Bad News: It only worked for 2 months before it started exhibiting strange behavior (Crazy flipper relay issues and just general wackiness - unplayable) - It had been in a Stellar Wars. Side note, I put a new MPU/Driver in Stellar Wars and it was FINE - so nothing had shorted on the PF or otherwise.

Worse news: The repair bill with a barely used board with 5 bad components was $165. Not sure how 5 things went bad in a barely used board, but that's what I was told.

Just a heads up to anyone who might be looking into buying or having one of these fixed - you may want to go another route.

Cheers!

#2 39 days ago

Outside of the displays which do in a pinch but not my favorites, everything else Rottendog makes is dogshite.

#3 39 days ago

Who is the new owner?

#4 39 days ago

I have several of their rectifier boards in my early Ballys. And one solenoid driver board. And a MPU for my Jokerz! machine. No problems with them. And they all are several years old. We'll see how they hold up over time.

#5 39 days ago

We have a couple of Rottondog boards in our TAF. Driver board and sound board. They have been in there for 5 years, no issues.

#6 39 days ago

I have always had pretty good luck with RD

#7 39 days ago

I have had a rottendog video board for my bsd. No issues for four yrs. ymmv

#8 39 days ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have a couple of Rottondog boards in our TAF. Driver board and sound board. They have been in there for 5 years, no issues.

I have Rottendog MPU, DMD board, 8-driver board, and fliptronics board in my STTNG and they have all been rock solid. I got the game really cheap and they came with it. I'm not sure of the manufacture date of the boards.

#9 39 days ago

Had a customer witha rottendog power driver bd. Wrong triacs for GI circuit. Hard to diagnose.

#10 39 days ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

Just a heads up to everyone. I guess Rottendog is now under new Ownership - good news I suppose.
The Good news - I got my Combo 3-6 Board Fixed. Bad News: It only worked for 2 months before it started exhibiting strange behavior (Crazy flipper relay issues and just general wackiness - unplayable) - It had been in a Stellar Wars. Side note, I put a new MPU/Driver in Stellar Wars and it was FINE - so nothing had shorted on the PF or otherwise.
Worse news: The repair bill with a barely used board with 5 bad components was $165. Not sure how 5 things went bad in a barely used board, but that's what I was told.
Just a heads up to anyone who might be looking into buying or having one of these fixed - you may want to go another route.
Cheers!

What was bad that made it cost $165? I've fixed a few of their boards and none of them cost that much. Either your board was really messed up or I don't charge enough... One of the boards I fixed was the MPU/Driver combo that someone mixed up a couple connectors installing and took out the display driver chip on the RD board.

I'm not a fan of the small pads and really thin traces but I know of a lot of their boards have been running well for years.

#11 39 days ago

Cheers!

Replacing the components is cheap, most components are cheap. Having the knowledge to find the components is the expensive part. Most guys who do board repair have backlogs of jobs to do.

#12 39 days ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Replacing the components is cheap, most components are cheap. Having the knowledge to find the components is the expensive part. Most guys who do board repair have backlogs of jobs to do.

I just saw ChrisHibler post in another thread that he had a backlog of 90 days

#13 39 days ago

Parts cost was $50 ( 2 6821, x1 clock, q8&ic8) - Labor was $100 - Shipping was $15. So well over $500 total cost in a 2 month old board that quite frankly I'm leery of using again.

I've used other boards of theirs (Displays, DE Flipper Board, WPC MPU's and WMS/DE power supplies ) and have basically had decent luck. I did have a power board that blew the high voltage section upon power on and the DE DMD Power board hums so bad it's incredibly annoying to listen to the game in attract mode. Also had a couple of WPC Driver boards with issues out of the box (locked on coils etc) but I've stockpiled enough Rebuilt OEM boards I shouldn't be needing them anymore.

Was just surprised that this board - barely used ended up have 5 bad components - seemingly without explanation. Just wanted to give others a heads up as this has taken a bunch of time and money.

#14 39 days ago

Where did you get a 326 board? Seems like they stopped making them a long time ago and they haven't been available for a few years.

I've put a few in customer's games and have had good luck. Even put one in a BK, which later versions had sound issues with. I've used lots of RD boards over the years and have only had a couple minor issues. That 326 board is likely the most loaded board they ever made. Lots and lots of components.

#15 39 days ago

They are currently available at Pinball Life I believe. Seems to be hit or miss.

I will say the Pinball PCB stuff I have used has been perfect and very well built - just takes a while to get them.

#16 39 days ago

Parts cost was $50 ( 2 6821, x1 clock, q8&ic8) - Labor was $100 - Shipping was $15. So well over $500 total cost in a 2 month old board that quite frankly I'm leery of using again.
I've used other boards of theirs (Displays, DE Flipper Board, WPC MPU's and WMS/DE power supplies ) and have basically had decent luck. I did have a power board that blew the high voltage section upon power on and the DE DMD Power board hums so bad it's incredibly annoying to listen to the game in attract mode. Also had a couple of WPC Driver boards with issues out of the box (locked on coils etc) but I've stockpiled enough Rebuilt OEM boards I shouldn't be needing them anymore.
Was just surprised that this board - barely used ended up have 5 bad components - seemingly without explanation. Just wanted to give others a heads up as this has taken a bunch of time and money.

Yeah you make a good point. The cost to value on these boards is declining. Anything higher than that and it's cheaper to buy a more expensive board you can rely on.

#17 38 days ago

For the early Williams if your MPU and driver aren’t eaten up by battery corrosion it’s less to completely go through your original boardset than buying just that combo board. Just wrapping up a whole set for a Laserball.

#18 37 days ago

My issue is I just don't have time to do my own board repairs much anymore. Less about money and more about time.

1 week later
#19 30 days ago

I accidentally shorted a lamp socket replacing a bulb (don't ask) on my RD DataEast driver board.....now one row of lamps don't work. Does RD fix their own boards or do I need to find someone to repair it? I don't see anything on their web page anymore about repairs.

#20 30 days ago

Anyone who shows me a repair estimate from a faulty rottondog board ill give you a really nice discount on an equivalent pinball basement reproduction board to help meet new customers.

#21 30 days ago
Quoted from insight75:

I accidentally shorted a lamp socket replacing a bulb (don't ask) on my RD DataEast driver board.....now one row of lamps don't work. Does RD fix their own boards or do I need to find someone to repair it? I don't see anything on their web page anymore about repairs.

Quoted from insight75:

Probably an easy repair. Possibly lamp driver transistor is out for that row.

#22 30 days ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Probably an easy repair. Possibly lamp driver transistor is out for that row.

Thanks. I'm going to try replacing the transistor and if that doesn't work I will send for repair. I confirmed its the board by using another known working board in its place.

#23 29 days ago
Quoted from insight75:

I'm going to try replacing the transistor and if that doesn't work I will send for repair.

I can tell you that board repair guys absolutely hate this statement.
You really should send it to a pro to get it done right.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#24 28 days ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I can tell you that board repair guys absolutely hate this statement.
You really should send it to a pro to get it done right.
--

Chris, I will be in contact soon about a new WPC89 board. To get it professionally done right.

#25 28 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Chris, I will be in contact soon about a new WPC89 board. To get it professionally done right.

Chris told me that he is not repairing rottendog boards anymore due to the shitty build quality. Wanted him to repair a system 80 driver board that's doing some crazy stuff. He wouldn't take it

#26 28 days ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Chris told me that he is not repairing rottendog boards anymore due to the shitty build quality. Wanted him to repair a system 80 driver board that's doing some crazy stuff. He wouldn't take it

Can you elaborate on what the build issues were? So far the build quality on all the Rottendog boards I've had to repair was good. Main issues I had were that they have tiny pads and the leads on the IC's are folded which make repairs a pain but that aside I saw no issues with build quality. Was it a particular board?

#27 28 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Can you elaborate on what the build issues were? So far the build quality on all the Rottendog boards I've had to repair was good. Main issues I had were that they have tiny pads and the leads on the IC's are folded which make repairs a pain but that aside I saw no issues with build quality. Was it a particular board?

He didn't give me a exact reason just that he wasn't doing the rottendog boards due to quality issues. The board I was wanting to send him was a gottlieb system 80b driver board that would lock coils on on power up. My old gottlieb board went in and fired right up.

#28 28 days ago
Quoted from codered9394:

He didn't give me a exact reason just that he wasn't doing the rottendog boards due to quality issues. The board I was wanting to send him was a gottlieb system 80b driver board that would lock coils on on power up. My old gottlieb board went in and fired right up.

I've never had any of their Gottlieb boards in for repairs. Just their WPC and all in one early Williams combo boards.

#29 28 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I've never had any of their Gottlieb boards in for repairs. Just their WPC and all in one early Williams combo boards

I'll send you one if you want to give it a shot. I would like to have it repaired if possible.

#30 27 days ago

Robotworkshop, as codered9394 mentioned, I decline the opportunity to repair RD System 80 MPUs and WPC/WPC95 MPUs due to build quality.

I might have crossed signals with codered about the Gottlieb driver board. I will repair those, along with WPC driver boards.

The build quality issues with the RD MPUs are what you mentioned.
...the traces are super fine.
...the via holes sometimes almost miss the trace
...the board layout is sometimes different
...the schematics suck. Original schematics can't reliably be used

While I'm complaining about RD, the connectors used suck. The PS have known issues with design. The boards "creak" when flexed, which makes me wonder about solder joints.

I won't work on Swemmer System 80 MPUs either. OEM schematics don't match that board either.

I'm glad aftermarket boards are available, but I'd repair a janky OEM board any day before using some of the aftermarket boards that are out there.

--

#31 27 days ago

Cool. Thanks for the update Chris

#32 27 days ago
Quoted from codered9394:

It is not a rotten dog board by the way. It is a new just shipped replacement board from pinball basement, that arrived with cold solder joints on two transistors. After two bad boards in a row, not dealing with basement anymore.

#33 27 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

It is not a rotten dog board by the way. It is a new just shipped replacement board from pinball basement, that arrived with cold solder joints on two transistors. After two bad boards in a row, not dealing with basement anymore.

I had someone ship me a few WPC driver boards for repair. One was a Pinball Basement driver. I noticed the nut and bolt on the smaller heatsink had come loose and fell off in the shipping box. I re-installed those (tightly) and didn't see anything burned up so just returned that board. It is so new that it should have been covered under warranty and asked the owner to send it to them to check out. Didn't want to charge for a repair that they could have covered under warranty.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside