• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey gang,

I need to replace or repair (repair being costly) my MPU/CPU board in my Twilight Zone. I would like to just buy the Rottendog replacement board (MPU089), but someone had told me there were some compatibility issues with that board and TZ.

So...just trying to poll you all to see if this is still the case...or perhaps Rottendog has made modifications to the board which fixed the TZ issue.

Are any of you running a TZ with the Rottendog MPU board? Any issues?

Thank you!!!

#2 9 years ago

I tried one in my TZ and the clock wouldn't work correctly. I put and original one in and everything worked correctly. There must still be a compatibility issues with that board and TZ.

#3 9 years ago

Are there different MPU revisions? I seem to remember reading about certain issues on other pins using certain versions of the board.

#4 9 years ago

I have in the past with out issues. However I have no idea what revision that board was. I try and use rottendogs as a temporary fix until I get the original working again. If it were me, I would wait for one to pop up on ebay (original board) and either get it fixed or buy one that works.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I have in the past with out issues. However I have no idea what revision that board was. I try and use rottendogs as a temporary fix until I get the original working again. If it were me, I would wait for one to pop up on ebay (original board) and either get it fixed or buy one that works.

Is there a reason why I should not use a Rottendog board as a permanent replacement?

#6 9 years ago

I have tried them in plenty of titles, wpc-89, wpc-s and wpc-95 and althought they generally work okay. They do not always work with all games. I have had problems with cpus and pdb as well. Sometimes they will work and other times cause problems. I have found the best solution is OEM.

#7 9 years ago

I got a nightmare TZ project with Rottendog CPU, PD board, Driver board, blowing fuse 115. Gotta be the boards, tested everything else.

Didin't have this issue before installing boards, just wanted new boards as opposed to the burnt and worn OEM boards.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I got a nightmare TZ project with Rottendog CPU, PD board, Driver board, blowing fuse 115. Gotta be the boards, tested everything else.
Didin't have this issue before installing boards, just wanted new boards as opposed to the burnt and worn OEM boards.

I had the same thought about 2 years ago. I spent 6k plus on a treasure trove of rottendog boards. Mostly to keep games going on location. my thought was went a board went down, put a rottendog in it and forget it. Well that never worked out, they seemed to go down more than 20 year old boards.

#9 9 years ago

So...

I could probably get a rottendog board out the door for $200. A repair and cleaning of my board which has bad battery acid damage would probably be about $250. I found one OEM super clean board, but that would be about $360.

I am torn about what to do...

#10 9 years ago

I put both the MPU and Power Driver boards from Rottendog in my TZ and they worked fine, clock and all.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I put both the MPU and Power Driver boards from Rottendog in my TZ and they worked fine, clock and all.

Mixed reviews I guess. TZ has a lot of shit on it, so I can see where an adequate board, not an over engineered board could be stressed. I am going to see if I can have Coin OP Cauldron update/repair my boards, and now I gotta find a cpu.

Anyone got a cpu for TZ?

#12 9 years ago

I actually sent my original boards out to Chris Hibler and he bulletproofed them while I had the rottendogs in it. When I had the game restored, we put the original boards back in. Kept the Rottendog boards as spares for TZ, TAF, etc.

#13 9 years ago

Still trying to decide between repo board/getting my board repaired/or buying an OEM board.

Have any of you used pinled's boards? I see they make a repo WPC CPU/MPU board as well:

http://www.pinled.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=2_12&products_id=118

#14 9 years ago

Haven't used their MPU board, but have had their Power Driver board in mine for the last 5 years or so, and it's held up perfect. (May be a slight over-driving of the lamp matrix, which causes issues with some LED bulbs..)

#15 9 years ago

I don't remember exactly, but wasn't there some place that was selling bare WPC89 MPU boards(sans chips and everything)?

I'm wondering how much it'd be if you were to just buy one of those and send it and your original board to Hibler or borygard for a full swap out?

Just brainstorming...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-mpucpu-board-and-twilight-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.