5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pecos
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

This is a tech post for future problems you might have.

I took on a repair recently for a WMS Laser Cue where the owner used a MPU 327 to resolve multiple issues with the original boards. He swapped J2 and J6 (they are keyed alike) and his displays stopped working. In short - he fried IC6 (74HCT154) and it has to be replaced (you will have to add socket unless yours already has one). You can use the original 74HCT154 in the Rottendog board or a 74154 if you can find one. It is likely that a 74LS154 will also work. This fix was tested when the output of the '154 heads to a Pinscore board, but should also with the original WMS Display Driver board.

Here is my log of the problem for those that want to see - or could use an example of how to log your electronics troubleshooting:

SYMPTOM: Only one 7 segment display is working on 2 of the 5 displays. User has a Pinscore display replacement. Using the test button on the display yields 2 "8's" where the two 7 segs are working.
    DIAGNOSTIC: Pinscore display history shows it is new. Passing this as problem. Inspection of connections to MPU 327 identify that owner swapped J2 with J6. Both are keyed alike. Owner doesn't have manual in game, IPDB doesn't have schematics. Based upon Jungle Lord Schematics, user sent 12V on Pin 9 of the J6 connector. These are coming from the 74HCT154 4 to 16 decoder. 12V was sent to an OUTPUT of the decoder, likely destroying most or all of the IC.
    PROCEDURE 1: 74HCT154 is not socketed. Try swap of PIA feeding the decoder since it is socketed.
    RESULT: No change - reverting.
    PROCEDURE 2: Remove and replace 74HCT154. Add socket.
    RESULT: Problem resolved.
    NOTE: Consider using 74154 from NOS to see if TTL levels drive the display driver board correctly. They should be more powerful than the HCT.
    UPDATE: 74154 also works correctly.

If you are new to electronics and want to learn more about components, schematics, and troubleshooting, plan to attend my 2 hour seminar at Pinball Expo 2018!
    -Rob Craig

#2 5 years ago

Rottendog usually repairs these under warranty, even when connected wrong. I'm sure you would have to pay shipping both ways. Also, it could be out for repair for a while.

#3 5 years ago

Side note, Rottendog sent me to K's arcade for Repair of their boards now. Doesn't appear that they do them anymore.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from smileymatthew:

Side note, Rottendog sent me to K's arcade for Repair of their boards now. Doesn't appear that they do them anymore.

Still under warranty?

1 year later
    #5 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

This is a tech post for future problems you might have.

I took on a repair recently for a WMS Laser Cue where the owner used a MPU 327 to resolve multiple issues with the original boards. He swapped J2 and J6 (they are keyed alike) and his displays stopped working. In short - he fried IC6 (74HCT154) and it has to be replaced (you will have to add socket unless yours already has one). You can use the original 74HCT154 in the Rottendog board or a 74154 if you can find one. It is likely that a 74LS154 will also work. This fix was tested when the output of the '154 heads to a Pinscore board, but should also with the original WMS Display Driver board.

Here is my log of the problem for those that want to see - or could use an example of how to log your electronics troubleshooting:

SYMPTOM: Only one 7 segment display is working on 2 of the 5 displays. User has a Pinscore display replacement. Using the test button on the display yields 2 "8's" where the two 7 segs are working.
    DIAGNOSTIC: Pinscore display history shows it is new. Passing this as problem. Inspection of connections to MPU 327 identify that owner swapped J2 with J6. Both are keyed alike. Owner doesn't have manual in game, IPDB doesn't have schematics. Based upon Jungle Lord Schematics, user sent 12V on Pin 9 of the J6 connector. These are coming from the 74HCT154 4 to 16 decoder. 12V was sent to an OUTPUT of the decoder, likely destroying most or all of the IC.
    PROCEDURE 1: 74HCT154 is not socketed. Try swap of PIA feeding the decoder since it is socketed.
    RESULT: No change - reverting.
    PROCEDURE 2: Remove and replace 74HCT154. Add socket.
    RESULT: Problem resolved.
    NOTE: Consider using 74154 from NOS to see if TTL levels drive the display driver board correctly. They should be more powerful than the HCT.
    UPDATE: 74154 also works correctly.

I got a Rottendog board with my Gorgar that had the same symptoms. I took out the old 74HCT154, put in a socket and a new 74HCT154N and I have displays!

THANK YOU for posting this information @robcraig!

Just a note - my board had the widebody 24 Pin DIP, 0.6" package. Be sure that you are ordering the right part!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-mpu-327-what-to-do-when-reversing-j2-amp-j6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.