Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BeaverBrewing
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know what the replacement was for the original Sega/Whitestar driver board for the low voltage dropout.

But I have a new Rottendog Sega/Stern SDB004 Whitestar driver board. This one has LED's on the voltages and those are all lit up. I even tested it and the voltages are where they should be...

However when my Sega X-Files runs for a few hours, it will start to drop out. A simple on/off won't do it. But when it sits for a few hours, everything is fine again.

Any idea on what is causing this? Something on the MPU / Driver board heating up and causing the Low Voltage and the dropout? I haven't completely tested the CPU, but I just did a quick look at it and nothing looked like there was any heat damage. Again, works great for awhile then boom....resetting like crazy.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2 weeks later
#2 4 years ago

I can not help on why the rottendog whitestar board shuts off on you every few hours. I can tell you I just got one today in the mail for my whitestar Sharkey's Shootout and it is junk! The one I purchased turns off about every 3 to 5 minutes. I also called about it and was told to replug the connectors several times, so I tried this silly concept about 80 times, over approx. 3 hours over and over to no avail.. I have to say I am beyond perturbed with this crappy board, so I put the stern board back in, works like a champ, never shuts off when it is supposed to be on. I bought this so called replacement board because it seemed a viable solution to my transistor problem on a few of the under playfield flash lamps that were staying on. I absolutely wish I would have just used the 280 with shipping to just fix the stern board! I am sorry you have one of these junk boards as I now have! So my advice, fix the original board and trash that rottenjunk board!

3 months later
#3 4 years ago

Just to update, I talked to Jim Knight, very helpful.

It was very simple. It wasn't actually a LDO. It was the connection from MPU to Driver board...a little cleaning of the connectors and the game works fine!

He said when the connection is bad it acts like a LDO, but it is just the MPU not fully communicating with Driver board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wood Dale, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside