• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi!

I'm just about to buy a Rottendog WPC95 MPU replacement board for my TOTAN. I see that there are 3 ICs missing from the sockets, I'm assuming I have to buy those as well. Could someone just tell me which ones are missing from the MPU board?

Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

You must install the ASIC chip in location U9, 6809 Processor U4, Security chip U22 and game ROM U6.

#3 8 years ago

You can swap the parts from the old MPU board.
Does the original have acid damage?

#4 8 years ago

Unfortunately yes, that's why I'm getting new ICs along with a new board. Thank you, Vid!

#5 8 years ago

Wow... MoP, Marco Specialties, and Bay Area Amusements are out of security chips. Any ideas where I can get one?

#7 8 years ago

Make sure to get the 68B09EP not a 6809P. The 'E' Suffix is important and needed for your WPC MPU. P suffix stands for it comes in a plastic package, not important.

People probably keep buying the 6809P from MarcoS and wonder why it doesnt work in their WMS sound board or WPC MPU. I wonder if Marcos even knows this.

Andrew

#8 8 years ago

No need to get new IC's if they were not hit by acid.

Can try getting a security chip from John. Though I think you would have to email him. www.thatpinballplace.com

#10 8 years ago

Microprocessor had some corrosion on the connector (specks of that coppery-green coloured substance), and since I'm actually investing in a new MPU I might as well present it with a wonderful gift of new ICs.

Shame on Rottendog, though. They advertise these boards as "plug and play"... I'm assuming the "plug" part includes plugging in the necessary ICs, but they still should mention that it's required since an unexperienced person might not know (although I doubt whether an unexperienced person would actually conduct board replacements themselves).

Thanks, I'll have a look around!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Shame on Rottendog, though. They advertise these boards as "plug and play"... I'm assuming the "plug" part includes plugging in the necessary ICs,

It says right on their MPU095 page:

~
Most of our distributors offer this board without game ROM, ASIC, Security Chip and Microprocessor. This is done to keep the price of the board as low as possible. The Game ROM, ASIC, Security Chip and Microprocessors rarely go bad and are socketed so they can be moved from the original board to our board with minimum of effort. Please check with the distributor you choose to see which chips you may need to move! Call us direct if this confuses you.
~

http://rottendog.us/MPU095.html

#12 8 years ago

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Rottendog pays any royalties on these repro boards or is the IP generally considered to be in the public domain? Only asking because I was surprised by how much they charge.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Rottendog pays any royalties on these repro boards or is the IP generally considered to be in the public domain? Only asking because I was surprised by how much they charge.

It is his own design so i would assume he doesnt have to give any royalties Planetary Pinball.

I have no idea what kind of profit he makes on the boards, but i can tell you there is a lot of money to made with selling stuff to hobbyists. Look at all the LED suppliers, mod makers, board repair people, NVRAM sellers, cl flippers, etc.

#14 8 years ago

THOSE guys are getting friggin' rich!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

If Rottendog was playing royalties, the boards would be coming with holograms from Planetary.

The ASIC chip on Rottendog's A/V board, for example, is an original WMS part. He hasn't taken WMS code and made his own part - he's using factory parts.

The other ICs are parts from the original MFGs (not proprietary Bally/WMS code), and their use would not be of interest to Planetary.

Rottendog does indicate his boards are redesigned, so it's not a 1 exact clone - probably allows him to avoid royalties.

The boards don't include ROMs, so no WMS specific code is included with them.

#16 8 years ago

The board costs are what they are largely because of the cost to manufacture them following whatever initial investment in research and development and to cover the costs of running a business. PCBs of this size are quite expensive though come down with large quantity orders.

#17 8 years ago

I have a security chip form a Totan I parted out a few year ago I would sell.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

PCBs of this size are quite expensive though come down with large quantity orders.

8x11" PCB, double sided, green = 1.50 each shipped in quantity 200.

http://pcbshopper.com/

#19 8 years ago

I'm well aware of the manufacturing costs as I worked in that industry in a former life. Boards are cheap, it's the silicon that will bankrupt you - as it did us. I still have some wafers from our last project though, they look cool.

I wasn't thinking of putting a wave soldering machine in the basement, just thinking aloud.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

8x11" PCB, double sided, green = 1.50 each shipped in quantity 200.
http://pcbshopper.com/

Those are bait and switch prices. You'll never get decent boards at that price.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Those are bait and switch prices. You'll never get decent boards at that price.

You can read the review of the different board manufacturers on PCBShopper.

Some have really good prices on small boards, and some just the larger ones.

So getting the best price from OSH Park on some small boards, does not mean in any way that their price will be good on the larger footprint ones.

I got some boards last month from PCB4U and not only did they have the lowest price, they were made in USA. That never happens.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 84.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 36.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-ics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.