(Topic ID: 151456)

Rottendog flipper board data east hold delay

By dieseldogpi

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey all. Just got and installed my rottendog flipper board for my data east TMNT. The issue in having is that the flipper actuates and holds correctly, but there seems to be a delay when I let off the flipper button before the hold is released. This wasn't happening with the old board (with the one flipper that wasn't stuck on). The dip switches are set correctly, I verified. What could this be? Anyone else experience something similar? Have had great luck with rottendog boards in the past. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I acquired a Data East Tales from the Crypt that had a Rottendog flipper board in it. All kinds of problems ensued, many parts were replaced 2x, I finally got the original board back in the game and it's been working great ever since. I think I remember a delay like you mentioned. It caused other issues that were worse, and there was also an issue that affected the 3rd flipper. If I remember correctly, when my upper flipper would hold for a delay, you could hear an electrical discharge type sound when it released.

#3 8 years ago

Ugh. I have the original, but I figured instead of figuring out why the right flipper was stuck in the up position, I would buy a brand new board. Is this something that rottendog would fix?

#4 8 years ago

I sent the Rottendog board back trying to get a refund and something towards the extra repairs it cost me. They wouldn't cover anything their board destroyed on my game, but I tried anyway. They would only exchange the one I had for a different one, which I later sold.

To be fair, when I was having issues, I did not really notice many others having issues with Rottendog flipper boards in their Data East games. But I did see chatter about some issues people have with some of their boards at times.

I feel like I'm not the only one who has had those issues or similar issues with their flipper board on a Data East either, but it doesn't seem too common on the web.

It seems that overall, their success rate is pretty good. They've done a lot to help people keep games running over the years, so I don't want this to sound like I am trashing them because I have a lot of respect for what they do. It just didn't work out for me with my particular situation.

#5 8 years ago

it could be that the flipper needs to be rebuilt. I had some issues with my flipper sticking up for a couple of sec's after I let off the button. I rebuilt both of them, now they work great. This was on my Rocky and Bullwinkle. Mine had some bad parts, one of the springs not hooked up, etc.

#6 8 years ago

Flippers were completely rebuilt. The one that worked with the old board worked perfectly.

#7 8 years ago

Before you indict the RD board, you may want to check your diode on the coil? (Unless by rebuilt you mean all new coils were installed?)

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#flip0

Check this thread. Staying held could be indicative of a diode going bad.

#8 8 years ago

Brand new coils too and it's on both flippers that has the hold issue. With the old board, the one that worked was working perfectly with the new coil.

#9 8 years ago

Well then. "If it was my game" and I had this problem, and I was at this point, I would consider swapping the output from the flipper board and swapping them to see if the problem followed the output or stayed with the coil.

You could also put a meter across the good coil when energized and see what unenergized voltage is, then compare to the bad side.

7 years later
#10 5 months ago

Absolutely had the same thing with a rocky and Bullwinkle!
I was trying to save the customer money by making me not have to do a return trip so I had them order a rotten dog board.
I then took the original board home and replaced a transistor in it and brought it back in the problem went away . (The terrible delay when you take your finger off the flipper button).
Rotten dog stuff is about as reliable as 1980s general motors vehicles!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-flipper-board-data-east-hold-delay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.