Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-5951 (resized).JPG
IMG-5953 (resized).JPG
IMG-5952 (resized).JPG
IMG-5954 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I have a RottenDog DIS200 inside a Cyclone System 11. Some of the LCD segments have been problematic since I purchased the unit second-hand: some segments were not always lit, or lit when they should not be. None of the segments are burned out. I've lived with it because it was not too bad.

Today I replaced the AA batteries in the backbox. Now the display is much, much worse. Same problem, but now the display is sometimes impossible to read because of incorrect LCD segments light/unlit.

Any advice?
IMG-5951 (resized).JPGIMG-5951 (resized).JPGIMG-5952 (resized).JPGIMG-5952 (resized).JPGIMG-5953 (resized).JPGIMG-5953 (resized).JPGIMG-5954 (resized).JPGIMG-5954 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

The problem might be your CPU board. The signal and chips that send the signal to the display are all right around the batteries on the CPU.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from athens95:

The problem might be your CPU board. The signal and chips that send the signal to the display are all right around the batteries on the CPU.

Thanks for the reply! There is no leakage onto the boards from the batteries. They look clean. Is there any way to test this short of buying a new board? I would not want to buy a new board, replace it, only to still have the problem ... could it be the display, for example (or the board behind the display)?

I have checked the all connections are tight.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from grimholtz:

Is there any way to test this short of buying a new board?

Run the display test. When the test starts invert the state of the auto/manual button to stop the test. Then individually step the test by using the advance button. Note what you see. The test displays all the digits zero through nine on all the strobes then enables all the segments on each individual strobe before finally enabling each individual segment on all the strobes. Look for a pattern. It should be able to help you narrow whether it is the CPU board or the display board.

#5 3 years ago

Check/reseat the connections on the display board.

Maybe a bad ribbon cable from the MPU board to the display board.

It has been a few years since I work on one of these, but maybe a cold solder connection on the connectors that feed the wiring to the display board (not on the display board but at the other end).

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Run the display test. When the test starts invert the state of the auto/manual button to stop the test. Then individually step the test by using the advance button. Note what you see. The test displays all the digits zero through nine on all the strobes then enables all the segments on each individual strobe before finally enabling each individual segment on all the strobes. Look for a pattern. It should be able to help you narrow whether it is the CPU board or the display board.

Here's a video of the test in auto mode -- is this at all helpful?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Check/reseat the connections on the display board. Maybe a bad ribbon cable from the MPU board to the display board.

I reseated connections on the display board and also on the MPU. That fixed it. Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-dis200-display-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.