New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 258024)

Rottendog Boards Vs Original Issue WPC Driver

By smileymatthew

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by pinfarmer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

So, I decided to upgrade original Driver in a Flintstones to a Rottendog. Original was OKAY but game was going far away so wanted to make sure the person that got it had a new driver so it would be trouble free.

Each Rottendog board I put in (3 total, all new) would blow Fuse F104 either upon startup or after the first ball and I'm assuming taking out some logic as well as some coils would lock on. I put the original back in and ZERO problems.

So 3 Different rottendog boards in all locked on coils and blew fuses, original did not and games runs fine with original.

totally stumped as to what's going on here. Sending the boards back to Rottendog to have them looked at. Any ideas why they would all "blow" but the original would not?

#2 10 months ago

Mixed up connector?

Possibility that the board was populated with the wrong parts. Had a customer buy one that he wanted installed into his Dr Who. After installation 4 random coils did not work. No pattern, thought it was a data line missing. With the board out I noticed 4 of the transistors had different tabs on them. Upon inspection it was the 4 non working coils and the Wrong transistors had been installed in those positions. Sent it back for a refund/replacement.

Have they updated their 5V regulator on that board. I've had 3 different customers in the last year call me to fix 2 resetting/ 1 dead games and they had a less than 1 year old rottendog WPC drivers in them. Bad 5V regulators on all of them.

#3 10 months ago

No Mixed up Connectors. I'm not sure what the issue is, but has to be something in the RD boards that is either wrong or bad.

No Issues on the 5V, but as described above coil(s) locking on right away or very quickly after the game gets going.

RD has a great variety of products and I use a ton of them, but I've had A LOT of issues with these boards and the WMS3-6 Boards with bad transistors/logic either out of the box or very soon.

Put a New 3-6 Board in a hot tip for someone, it lasted a day before the right slingshot locked on and fried the coil. Ended up replacing Coil and Transistor - board was brand new.

#4 10 months ago

I had this same issue recently. I sent it back for repair to RD, got it back. First put it in a 100% perfect game this time and it caused locked coils and blown fuses as before.
There is something seriously wrong with this board design, at least recently.
Someone else needs to design a new WPC power driver board for the hobby.
I had a DMD power supply fail after a couple hours as well.
I'm waiting until jan to send my OEM out for repair.
It was hard to get my money back. Took a lot of pestering.

#5 10 months ago

Yes - exact same issue I'm having. OEM stuff works fine.

Yeah, I like the products, but wow, having some issues on these. I contacted them but no reply back so I'm just sending them all in for Repair - don't really have much of a choice. I'm not sure if they changed the board design or what - but something isn't right. My only complaint is that it's wasting A LOT of time messing with all of this. Many hours, time and postage.

#6 10 months ago

Exactly. I'll send my dead "repaired" rd boards back to him once he sends me the money for postage first! I'm sick of all the time I spent dealing with this and getting my money back. The distributor would not to refunds or exchanges.

#7 10 months ago

hope it all works out. I'm grateful for some many replacement products, but like you said, it's a lot of messing around. I just need these things to work!

#8 10 months ago

I thought I read somewhere that one of the RD boards had an issue with a screw (that secures the screw to the metal backbox panel) was causing a couple traces to short out.

Check the back of the board around each of the screw mounts, and see if there are any bare traces that could be causing issues?

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:I thought I read somewhere that one of the RD boards had an issue with a screw (that secures the screw to the metal backbox panel) was causing a couple traces to short out.
Check the back of the board around each of the screw mounts, and see if there are any bare traces that could be causing issues?

It was a system 3-6 board--a pin on the back side was making contact with a bracket.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-to-rottendog-327-owners-check-it-now

Also on the same board, the wrong chip was installed in one spot. It might not be a bad idea to verify that all the correct chips are installed on the WPC driver board.

#10 10 months ago

I like that there is an alternative available but the OEM boards are always much preferred.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I like that there is an alternative available but the OEM boards are always much preferred.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Yes i agree

#12 10 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It was a system 3-6 board--a pin on the back side was making contact with a bracket.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-to-rottendog-327-owners-check-it-now
Also on the same board, the wrong chip was installed in one spot. It might not be a bad idea to verify that all the correct chips are installed on the WPC driver board.

Ah, good to know, and thanks for clarifying!

#13 10 months ago

I love how Rottendog doesn't even test their products before shipping them.

#14 10 months ago

They do apparently. There is a CQ sticker. The owner personally repaired my board that was still broken the second time I got it back. He determined it was I who was the issue...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 9.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside