(Topic ID: 276843)

Rottendog. Anyone know why the website/account is suspended?

By sniffsnerk

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201221_193240 (resized).jpg
    20201221_193245 (resized).jpg
    20201223_200941 (resized).jpg
    wpc_printer (resized).jpg
    20200902_142154 (resized).jpg
    20200909_201445 (resized).jpg
    117953671_10101498084419152_1666832419019240694_n (resized).jpg
    117950940_10101498084878232_5454331454733200518_n (resized).jpg
    Pinball Basement (1) (resized).png
    WPC_Terminator2.jpg
    S11_Rollergames.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hhaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 3 years ago

I'm not aware of any company that has manufactured a DIP insertion machine in decades. Nobody uses them anymore because almost nobody is still designing new boards with DIP components. So the bent over leads likely won't be an issue going forward. Fun machines to work on and watch operate. Used to maintain one at my previous job. We ran it maybe one shift per month. I think they scrapped it by now.

That's one thing, at some point, people will need to realize..... DIP components are almost completely gone from industrial manufacturing, and are becoming increasingly difficult to source. We are not far from the point where it will impossible to make boards with these parts. I know at least one pinball PCB maker that is dependent on used parts for multiple components. Audio processing and amplifiers are the biggest examples right now but even 74XX logic stuff is rapidly disappearing in quantity. Eventually, as a hobby, we're going to have to accept surface mount manufacturing in order to survive.

Same with axial resistors and diodes. On the industrial level, they're becoming increasingly rare. Parts are easy to get but very few places are still running axial sequencers and inserters. Too much of a footprint and they're maintenance hogs. That and, again, nobody is designing stuff with axial resistors anymore for production purposes. They're exponentially more expensive than SMT parts, and take a massive amount more labor. Getting harder to find places that are even willing to give a quote on assemblies with high numbers of axial parts.

#101 3 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Maybe others will chime in too but it is certainly something to consider. They don't have to be huge, just something reasonable.

For the pad size, I've finally found the 'golden standard' which works very well for me. IPC-2222 Class A. This is the industry standard for most robust productability in low density applications.

To quote the IPC standard....
    Hole size = maximum lead diameter + 0.25mm
    Pad diameter = minimum hole size + 0.7mm (there's a longer formula, but this is what it works out to).

Before I found the formulas it was a lot of guesswork that didn't always go well. Just make sure to measure the max lead size properly for square pins, it's from corner to corner, not from flat to flat. I've done that a few times and it gives you holes that are too small.

1 week later
    #115 3 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I need to advertise more and get these Williams boards selling first. Sales are OK so far, but not enough to expand to other board types yet.
    Dream is to have every major test fixture and boards for that Era

I just prototyped an 8x10 lamp matrix set for Sega/Stern. Want a sample?

-Hans

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hhaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-anyone-know-why-the-website-account-is-suspended?tu=hhaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.