(Topic ID: 276843)

Rottendog. Anyone know why the website/account is suspended?

By sniffsnerk

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201221_193240 (resized).jpg
    20201221_193245 (resized).jpg
    20201223_200941 (resized).jpg
    wpc_printer (resized).jpg
    20200902_142154 (resized).jpg
    20200909_201445 (resized).jpg
    117953671_10101498084419152_1666832419019240694_n (resized).jpg
    117950940_10101498084878232_5454331454733200518_n (resized).jpg
    Pinball Basement (1) (resized).png
    WPC_Terminator2.jpg
    S11_Rollergames.jpg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Maybe others will chime in too but it is certainly something to consider. They don't have to be huge, just something reasonable.

For the pad size, I've finally found the 'golden standard' which works very well for me. IPC-2222 Class A. This is the industry standard for most robust productability in low density applications.

To quote the IPC standard....
    Hole size = maximum lead diameter + 0.25mm
    Pad diameter = minimum hole size + 0.7mm (there's a longer formula, but this is what it works out to).

Before I found the formulas it was a lot of guesswork that didn't always go well. Just make sure to measure the max lead size properly for square pins, it's from corner to corner, not from flat to flat. I've done that a few times and it gives you holes that are too small.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

If he wants a sample of a pinball basement board.... Let me know...

I will be talking to him in a couple of hours. I'm sure he'd like to get one. He's been on a system 11 machine buying spree.

Edit:

Yes, he would like a sample board. He said he'd be buying some more boards again shortly.

#103 3 years ago

Has anyone actually tried one of these new wpc89 power driver boards in a whitewater yet?

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

That's one thing, at some point, people will need to realize..... DIP components are almost completely gone from industrial manufacturing, and are becoming increasingly difficult to source. We are not far from the point where it will impossible to make boards with these parts.

On all the boards I design for my own personal use, I use SMD. Easier to design for, and route PCBs for - especially audio segments where you need a good separation of grounds, or good unbroken ground planes.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Has anyone actually tried one of these new wpc89 power driver boards in a whitewater yet?

The reason I ask is because the rottendog ones do not work in a whitewater. I am not the only one that found that out. It’s weird because it does work in so many others that share that same board with white water. I don’t know why, but the rotten dog board just does not work in a white water. I am interested in buying one of these boards but I would just like to know if someone has actually tried one in a Whitewater. I know what a pain in the ass it was dealing with rotten dog on that problem and I don’t want the headaches again. Thanks!

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeSinMD:

The reason I ask is because the rottendog ones do not work in a whitewater. I am not the only one that found that out. It’s weird because it does work in so many others that share that same board with white water. I don’t know why, but the rotten dog board just does not work in a white water. I am interested in buying one of these boards but I would just like to know if someone has actually tried one in a Whitewater. I know what a pain in the ass it was dealing with rotten dog on that problem and I don’t want the headaches again. Thanks!

I might be able to send you a board to test out, if it doesn't work just pay return shipping. I will look into the white water issue first and see if that game had a different board revision or not.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

I might be able to send you a board to test out, if it doesn't work just pay return shipping. I will look into the white water issue first and see if that game had a different board revision or not.

I believe from what I've read the chaser lights for the topper are also problematic/don't work.

#108 3 years ago

This is amazing news! I've had a STTNG and a WH20 down for a year dealing with rottendog WPC89 Driver boards.
    Same experience as others. Definitely not tested. Pain in the ass getting a refund or repair only for it to have new issues obvious issues. - Original boards worked just fine swapped in from other games.
    If this new board works in whitewater I'll be placing an order for 2.

#109 3 years ago

... They also most likely used lead free solder, so that makes working on the boards harder.

Just add some 37/63 solder w/a rosin core...much easier then.

Can't stand the lead free stuff due to the higher melting point. Lead free is susceptible to tin wiskering, unless precautions are taken. That's a big deal for things that can easily have a 30 year lifespan (i.e. military equipment).

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I believe from what I've read the chaser lights for the topper are also problematic/don't work.

I've heard that the Rottendog WPC driver isn't bad in some games but in some of the widebody games can cause weird noise with the sound card, etc. I just picked one up that needed repair as a backup board. Should have it fixed this week once the odd .62 ohm resistors arrive.

One thing I noticed it that it uses 5 large 10,000uf capacitors for filtering instead of the larger 15,000uf caps on my factory Williams/Bally board. Thought that was an odd substitution since I'd replace any of the factory caps before they dipped to 10,000uf and would consider those bad. I wonder if replacing those 5 with the 15,000uf caps would help make some of the issues people see with the replacement board go away?

#111 3 years ago

I'm certain that would cause issues. I've seen lower value capacitors used in some aftermarket power supplies that causes the 12v supply to dip. I confirmed this by swapping the capacitor with one of the correct value. I'd say if you have a White Water, replace those caps before installing the Rottendog driver board.

#112 3 years ago

That would be awesome! If it does work as it should, I would definitely buy.

#113 3 years ago

A local pin repair shop has a game plan fixture i'd like to buy if he is selling, as eventually i'd like to keep expanding to niche stuff like game plan and give it some love.

Holy sh!t. If you make Game Plan stuff I’ll lose my marbles.
    I’m on the list for the next batch of Echo Lake boards. They’re about to make a new run of them again.

I asked outright “what would happen if you or your shop wasn’t around tomorrow and I needed to swap out the rom? Could I or someone else do it?”
    He told me no.
    That’s a bit disappointing that it’s proprietary.
    Game Plan games are amazing, and I only know of 2 places that fix the boards and most of them are absolutely destroyed.

I would love to see more boards available to fix these games!

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Holy sh!t. If you make Game Plan stuff I’ll lose my marbles.
    I’m on the list for the next batch of Echo Lake boards. They’re about to make a new run of them again.
    I asked outright “what would happen if you or your shop wasn’t around tomorrow and I needed to swap out the rom? Could I or someone else do it?”
    He told me no.
    That’s a bit disappointing that it’s proprietary.
    Game Plan games are amazing, and I only know of 2 places that fix the boards and most of them are absolutely destroyed.
    I would love to see more boards available to fix these games!

I need to advertise more and get these Williams boards selling first. Sales are OK so far, but not enough to expand to other board types yet.

Dream is to have every major test fixture and boards for that Era

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I need to advertise more and get these Williams boards selling first. Sales are OK so far, but not enough to expand to other board types yet.
    Dream is to have every major test fixture and boards for that Era

I just prototyped an 8x10 lamp matrix set for Sega/Stern. Want a sample?

-Hans

#116 3 years ago

I will be the test guy for whitewater. If it works, I will buy at least 1, maybe 2.

1 week later
    #117 3 years ago

Just had to come back and give a big shout to yaksplat - that explanation of the 6821s being pulls, causing you display issues wqs exactly was fixed the MPU9211 I was struggling with. Thank you so much for taking the time out to post your talk with Xpin.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

Just had to come back and give a big shout to yaksplat - that explanation of the 6821s being pulls, causing you display issues wqs exactly was fixed the MPU9211 I was struggling with. Thank you so much for taking the time out to post your talk with Xpin.

Ha! That's awesome. Glad my knowledge regurgitation helped!

1 week later
    #119 3 years ago

I purchased an MPU/CPU for my Star Trek TNG from Pinball Basement and I’m really impressed with the quality. The board looks great and works perfectly. I’m so glad there’s another option now.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffpaletz:

I purchased an MPU/CPU for my Star Trek TNG from Pinball Basement and I’m really impressed with the quality. The board looks great and works perfectly. I’m so glad there’s another option now.

I'm glad I could help.

I have 12 left from my current batch if anyone else needs one.

https://pinballbasement.com/collections/wpc89-boards/products/a-12742-wpc-89-mpu-board

#121 3 years ago

Do you have an idea of when the WPC 89 power boards will be back in stock? I just picked up a backup for my 95s from you, and would like to get one for a CFTBL I have. Thx for making these and good luck!

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Do you have an idea of when the WPC 89 power boards will be back in stock? I just picked up a backup for my 95s from you, and would like to get one for a CFTBL I have. Thx for making these and good luck!

It will be in a couple weeks. I will reach out when they are back in stock.

1 month later
    #123 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Can't stress (no pun intended) this enough. Every board I have built and sent out (and it's not that many) has been run through the test fixture (System 11 or WPC89) that I built. I only have one of each (I don't produce at scale) as they were hand built. Everyone has been happy (although that does not say much because as has been noted a working board is better than no board).
    I believe in testing and verifying so strongly that I even built my own opto tester to test my opto boards on the bench before sending them out.
    I live by the belief that "how you succeed depends on how you deal with failure". Yes ... you will fail ... you're human. It's not that you failed it's how you recover from it.

Reminds me of something Alfred once said.

#124 3 years ago

Anyone know if Rottendog is on Pinside could be interested in purchasing the company if it is indeed forsale

1 week later
    #125 3 years ago
    Quoted from Swoods5688:

Anyone know if Rottendog is on Pinside could be interested in purchasing the company if it is indeed forsale

Have you heard from anyone? Would really love some good news that they have contacted you. There is a definite need and it couldn’t come fast enough for me and my Tommy!

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from bsrhardy:

Have you heard from anyone? Would really love some good news that they have contacted you. There is a definite need and it couldn’t come fast enough for me and my Tommy!

I think RottenDog sold off inventory and closed up shop. Pinball_Basement is now making boards. Not sure on Data East/Sega boards....

#127 3 years ago

Dumbass is considering a Data East MPU board.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I think RottenDog sold off inventory and closed up shop. Pinball_Basement is now making boards. Not sure on Data East/Sega boards....

Quoted from Crash:

Dumbass is considering a Data East MPU board.

Data east ppb is done, data east power supply is almost done and mpu will be done in two weeks.

#129 3 years ago

Very excited about the Quality and quantity I'm able to start putting out soon.

20201221_193240 (resized).jpg20201221_193240 (resized).jpg20201221_193245 (resized).jpg20201221_193245 (resized).jpg20201223_200941 (resized).jpg20201223_200941 (resized).jpg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-anyone-know-why-the-website-account-is-suspended/page/3?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.