(Topic ID: 336188)

Rottendog 3-1 flipper board transistor substitute (Q7, Q8, Q9)

By Archon9000

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Working on a Rottendog FLP023 board and there is a shorted MOSFET at Q7. The component is a MTP12P10G (100V 12A). These are now obsolete so I'm looking to get my hands on a suitable substitute. Wondering what others have used.

I am leaning towards this IRF9530PBF : https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/vishay-siliconix/IRF9530PBF/811815

Thanks in advance

2 weeks later
    #2 1 year ago

Just wanted to follow up on my own post. The IRF9530PBF is in fact a good replacement for the MTP12P10. Game is back up and running fine.
    In my case, the MOSFET at Q7 blew and took out the COIL A fuse. With the MOSFET still in circuit, the diode and resistor in the same circuit test shorted and out of spec, but they are actually fine. Just remove the shorted MOSFET and test them again... they should be good.
    I looked for something on the flipper mechanism and coil that might have caused the MOSFET to blow (diode, EOS, etc...) but everything seemed fine. So I'm thinking the part just failed and took the fuse with it.
    Hope this can help someone down the road

1 month later
    #3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Archon9000:

Just wanted to follow up on my own post. The IRF9530PBF is in fact a good replacement for the MTP12P10. Game is back up and running fine.
    In my case, the MOSFET at Q7 blew and took out the COIL A fuse. With the MOSFET still in circuit, the diode and resistor in the same circuit test shorted and out of spec, but they are actually fine. Just remove the shorted MOSFET and test them again... they should be good.
    I looked for something on the flipper mechanism and coil that might have caused the MOSFET to blow (diode, EOS, etc...) but everything seemed fine. So I'm thinking the part just failed and took the fuse with it.
    Hope this can help someone down the road

What symptoms led you to this discovery? I just pulled a FLP023 from a customer's JP and I'm trying to figure out why Coil A is always locked on high voltage and blowing the fuse. I'm getting better at reading schematics like this, but I'm pretty slow sometimes.

I checked everything I could find on the flipper just like you described, and even replaced the diode on the coil just to be safe, issue persisted.

I did feel a bit rushed to leave by the customer, so I just grabbed the board and said I'd run some tests on it.

#4 1 year ago

And just to verify, your post did help someone!

After I replied, I went and checked Q7 and sure enough it was shorted. And thanks to you posting the link, I've got some parts in the cart now.

Thanks!

1 week later
    #5 1 year ago

Happy to hear that I could help. In my case, aside from the shorted MOSFET and blown fuse, everything else was #1. Sounds like the same thing happened in your case... Q7 shorted and took out the fuse. Good news is that you'll probably be back up and running with a 2$ MOSFET and a fuse
    Hope it all works out

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.