• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16483303436101248882402753963493 (resized).jpg
1AAEEDD0-BA6B-4112-8616-C263D5B46ED0 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

After some research I finally have most of my first gen mpu9211 boards fixed. Various post pointed to adding a 10k resister to the aux sound board for reducing unbearable sound volume. The board was basically unusable new out of the box. The newer gen boards have a 2nd sound pot added below c112 on the mpu. I tried adding 10k to c112 and it works great. I also tried lower values but this was the winner. As others have stated, the single sound pot seems irrelevant since no difference in adjustment. However some said it needs to be turned bunches. I hooked a small flathead bit in my drill and went to town. I finally made a difference. This allowed me to balance out the sound. You may be missing half of your sounds like me because of one volume way to loud and the other way low. After 2 Years I’m ready to put this baby to good use. Now on to finding out the display is out on another nib 9211.

1AAEEDD0-BA6B-4112-8616-C263D5B46ED0 (resized).jpeg1AAEEDD0-BA6B-4112-8616-C263D5B46ED0 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#2 2 years ago

So...I bought the mpu9211 from rottendog for my High Speed....it has the 2 blue variable adjust ment pots. I have no sounds at all. I turned them both a lot and still nothing. I times I get scratchy sounds for just a second or two then back to nothing. I was thinking the volume put in the bottom of the cabinet. But cleaned it with electronic cleaner and tested it on the DMM. Tested good. Any suggestions? Also any idea why there is a jumper on W8 and W9?

16483303436101248882402753963493 (resized).jpg16483303436101248882402753963493 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from BigDaveNM:

So...I bought the mpu9211 from rottendog for my High Speed....it has the 2 blue variable adjust ment pots. I have no sounds at all. I turned them both a lot and still nothing. I times I get scratchy sounds for just a second or two then back to nothing. I was thinking the volume put in the bottom of the cabinet. But cleaned it with electronic cleaner and tested it on the DMM. Tested good. Any suggestions? Also any idea why there is a jumper on W8 and W9?
[quoted image]

SAME EXACT PROBLEM as we speak…short scratchy sound and all…BUMP!!!

5 months later
#4 1 year ago

I have the same issue Feb22 sticker on the board,no sound and what is jumper W8,W9
running in Road Kings

4 months later
#5 1 year ago

My question if I may is using a new Rottendog MPU 9211 Board in an Earthshaker restoration.
The game operates with everything working. On power-up, a loud squeal noise is heard for about 2-3 seconds, then goes away.

I have read about this on several blogs, thoughts, suggestions or issues?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

SAME EXACT PROBLEM as we speak…short scratchy sound and all…BUMP!!!

There is a good chance the sound issue is from the sound board or ribbon cable. I would try it in a later sys11 game like space station or diner if possible. They have better diagnostics to flag any bad chips.

2 weeks later
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from pindel:

There is a good chance the sound issue is from the sound board or ribbon cable. I would try it in a later sys11 game like space station or diner if possible. They have better diagnostics to flag any bad chips.

The Power Supply board is new, Aux Power Board is new, Rottendog mpu9211 is new, Interconnect board is new, and just last night the Sound Board is completely "Re-Capped", ribbon cables are new.

here is a video letting you hear the issue mentioned:

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

The Power Supply board is new, Aux Power Board is new, Rottendog mpu9211 is new, Interconnect board is new, and just last night the Sound Board is completely "Re-Capped", ribbon cables are new.
here is a video letting you hear the issue mentioned:

That's the sound board initial state until it gets the reset signal from the MPU. That Rottendog MPU seems to take a little longer to boot than the stock System 11 board took.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

That's the sound board initial state until it gets the reset signal from the MPU. That Rottendog MPU seems to take a little longer to boot than the stock System 11 board took.

Thank you for the reply. Initial State? The noise? Then there is the "bong" sound. Since making this video, I got a cap rebuild kit, and replaced all the caps on the Sound Board. Told myself that would help lol. And..........no change. Sometimes get the distorted noise for 3 seconds, sometimes not.
Someone commented, if it works "why" worry about it? Just because the game works doesn't mean everything is right. I have a STTNG machine which did NOT have the Tie Back Mod suggested by the factory. Didn't know about it. Yes, I did cook a coil and fry a mini 8 driver board.

So when things seem "off" or "non standard", flags go up that something bad is going to happen

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

So when things seem "off" or "non standard", flags go up that something bad is going to happen

Yes. But sometimes, it's just that newly designed or reverse engineered boards may have oddities when installed. Many have odd issues with specific games that many other users have experienced. Some boards use newer surface mounted components that are difficult to replace, and some are completely redesigned with components from china that are let's just say "not thoroughly tested". For some boards, there's no schematics and for other certain boards, it's just not feasible to repair them when issues do arise. Original boards that are bulletproofed are usually my preferred option for these reasons and many more. The more you know.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes. But sometimes, it's just that newly designed or reverse engineered boards may have oddities when installed. Many have odd issues with specific games that many other users have experienced. Some boards use newer surface mounted components that are difficult to replace, and some are completely redesigned with components from china that are let's just say "not thoroughly tested". For some boards, there's no schematics and for other certain boards, it's just not feasible to repair them when issues do arise. Original boards that are bulletproofed are usually my preferred option for these reasons and many more. The more you know.

Very good post. And worthwhile information for consideration. Until now, I "assumed" newer was better, which is possibly not the case. I am very curious about the complete redesign of the System 11 Power Board, which is drastically different than the original.
Certainly the are times where a board has been damaged badly due to it's poor storage conditions, and/or battery leakage damage, or when the board traces are rotting, a replacement is needed. Your point is very good and information will immediately be used on upcoming machines I'll service. Thank you

9 months later
#12 4 months ago

I have an RD MPU in Big Guns Same sort of screech on boot, I believe the RD MPU has a short delay before data reaching the sound board. If you unplug the data cable to the sound board the screech is constant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-1st-gen-mpu-9211-sound-fix?hl=wrb1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.