Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Has any one had problems with rotten dog replacement boards? I got a flipper board for my JP and it played great for a day. The next day it would have like flipper chatter. You would push the flipper buttons and it would quiver or chatter but after being on for a bit, it would stop. Third day the left flipper just stopped then started and stopped. Fourth day worked great. Fifth day chatter.
Thanks, Todd

#2 11 years ago

I had a board that had the wrong resistor wired in. They did not believe me so much, sent it in for repair they said it was fine/fixed, still did not work. Had a local repair person look at the board and they found the issue. I don't think they ever accepted it was an issue but at the end of the day - working it was. I also have another board I use to help figure out problems in my stern games, one of the coils does not pulse like it does with an original stern board... so it might not be you. However, it could be another issue, such as end of stroke issue. I always assume board last.

#3 11 years ago

Todd, Send us back the board and we will take a look!
Jim Knight
224 Thomason Rd
Albertville AL 35951

We will be closed from Sat 11/22 until 1/4. If you send by USPS no prob, they will hold. If you send by UPS/FedEX it might be returned!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Tvpinballs:

Has any one had problems with rotten dog replacement boards? I got a flipper board for my JP and it played great for a day. The next day it would have like flipper chatter. You would push the flipper buttons and it would quiver or chatter but after being on for a bit, it would stop. Third day the left flipper just stopped then started and stopped. Fourth day worked great. Fifth day chatter.
Thanks, Todd

I have ordered two of these boards over the last couple years and both had chatter. I ended up repairing the original boards. The chatter is caused by dead hold power. Rottendog offered to fix them but since I repaired the originals and didn't need them anymore I've been way too lazy to mail them out.

#5 11 years ago

They are a standup company btw - just like all pinball you have issues from time to time. They were insanely nice to work with, just trying to help you out that it could be a board... Did not want my post to come across as bashing.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

but at the end of the day - working it was.

Haha, I heard Yoda in my head when I read this...

Sorry, it just made me chuckle.

#7 11 years ago

I just played SWEP1 so been having fun with that I have been.

#8 11 years ago

I had a pop bumper board show up DOA once, but they sent me a new one no problem.

#9 11 years ago

I will get it sent out asap Jim. Thanks

1 week later
#10 11 years ago

sending out my board today as well. Has no hold voltage so flippers machine gun.

#11 11 years ago

I always have problems with the wpc 89 boards in the flipper area of the board. I thought I had the problem fixed at one point but now its doing it again. One of the resistors burns up always and its only on bride of pinbot and seems to happen when the chase light board is installed.

#12 11 years ago

Im up in the air about their replacement wpc 89 driver board. I would like to buy about three, but see mixed reviews all over....Any good stories?!!

#13 11 years ago

Jim totally took care of me when one of my Sorcerer displays lost a few lines.
Send me a replacement immediately.
Game has been perfect ever since.

2 weeks later
#14 11 years ago

When I got my BOP the driver board wasnt included. I Cleaned it up and threw a rottendog in it and always had problems with the resistors on the board in the flipper circuit burning up. This was an ongoing thing and the helmet chase lights also never worked. I repaired the chase light board with all new parts and then it sort of worked but the lights wouldnt twinkle like they are supposed to when you start a game before locking a ball. I aquired a real WPC 89 board and installed it and guess what? No problems and everything works the way it is supposed to. Rather than re-imagining these boards I would be more interested in a factory spec replacement at this point. How many patents are still valid/why cant this happen?

#15 11 years ago

I should also mention that I contacted Jim and he was more than willing to help me but every time I thought I had it fixed so I never bothered calling. He's a good guy, there just seems to be different quirks as the boards work with different machines. I have had 2 WPC89 rottendog power drivers in my BOP and the same thing happens with both, the lights dont work properly and the resistors burn up. In my funhouse I have resetting issues so I abandoned using the boards in that. I actually have a hacked up RD in my TZ now because there seems to be no issues and the hacked up parts are the flipper circuit which TZ doesnt use anyway. The other RD board is in a box waiting for a machine to crap out.

#16 11 years ago

I don't have any of their boards in newer machines, but my Black Knight has the combo System 7 MPU / Driver board in it.

Works 98%. I have a slight speech issue that clears up if the factory boards are re-installed, but those are so flaky I would rather have the game work and deal with a slight speech issue. Sometimes the speech leaves out a word or 2. In the attract mode, there is no laugh after "The Black Knight will slay you...."

I had e-mailed Jim a while back about this and was told they had one other person with a similar issue, but have heard nothign since then. Like I said, I can live with it to have a working machine.

The flipper issue is much more of a hinderance though. Hope you can get it resolved. Jim has always been courteous and willing to help when I had issues or questions.

Chris

#17 11 years ago

The only issue I've had is that their WPC driver board causes the WH2O topper lights to stop chasing. I bought a new and improved version from RD but the problem persisted.
After contacting Jim, it was determined that one of the reisistors was still wrong.
I was waitign around for a replacement, but my buddy happened to have the necessary resistor and I fixed it. Works fine now.

My only other beef is that they make the connectors so tight. Pulling connectors off an RD board can be a chore.

Aside from that, great products. I've used several.

#18 11 years ago

quick update.

received my flipper board back today and all is well.

#19 11 years ago

My only issue is they stopped making the Taxi display about the same time my Taxi display decided to die. Love the one I got for my ES.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotten-dog-replacement-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.