Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

820708B1-0C24-438B-BABA-14188E563CED (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider german-pinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doggy:

I have a problem with my system 1 rottendog power supply, while testing the 60 volt pin my hand slipped and I inadvertently hit either the ground or the 42 volt pin. It gave off a little spark. Then I had no voltage coming out of the 60 or the 42 pins.
    I installed a new HV regulator LM317AHV and now I get 58 volts from both pins.. could I have fried something else when my hand slipped?? I can’t adjust the voltage like you can with the original power supply. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

You also killed the 18V Zener-Diode 1N4746A - replace it and your 42 V should be back. Could you post a photo of your board, mightbe, you also killed a resistor "behind" the regulator.

And there is no poti for adjustment as on the original.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

FYI -- LM317AHVT is on the end of life list from the manufacturer. I suspect there will be a last time buy issued within the next few months (if it hasn't been issued already).

My few cents: LM317AHVT is a bad choice in the HV-section. Imho that is no improvement.

Better way is to go the "traditional" way; good old series pass transistor type regulator (will never be end of life product and always be available) with extra current fold back circuit - thats the way how it has to be done.

Only alternative for SYS-1 machines could be a TL783-design - only my few cents.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doggy:

So those of us who invested in the rottendog PS, which regulator would you suggest when/if the LM317AHVT malfunctions? Also if we change out the LM317AHVT regulator, is there other components you must change also??
    I know the obvious answer is stay away from the power supplies which use that regulator, but if you already have it what would be the best modification??

Simple answer: You should put a few LM317AHV in stock for replacement.
    You cannot simply replace it by e.g. TL783 without changing parts around it; that would require modifications on the board.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doggy:

So those of us who invested in the rottendog PS, which regulator would you suggest when/if the LM317AHVT malfunctions? Also if we change out the LM317AHVT regulator, is there other components you must change also??
    I know the obvious answer is stay away from the power supplies which use that regulator, but if you already have it what would be the best modification??

Quoted from Doggy:

Thanks German-pinball I have 2 system 1’s. I will buy a couple LM317AHVT just in case. But for my future projects I’ll stay away from those power supply’s that use the LM317AHVT regulator’s thanks to you and G-P-E for the heads up.

I thought a bit about it - and it is easy to change to TL783C-design, when LM317AHVT will become obsolete!!!!

LM317AHVT and TL783C are pin compatible, so it is easy, to modify the RD board to TL783C-design without any modifications to the board!!!

1.) Replace capacitor C6 (220uF) to 10uF /100V capacitor
    2.) Replace voltage regulator U1 (LM317AHVT) to TL783C
    3.) Replace resistor R4 (215R) to 470R / 1/4W
    4.) Replace resistor R3 (10K) to 22K / 1/4W
    5.) Add Diode 1N4004 to the legs of the new TL783C - Cathode to Pin3 (IN) and Anode to PIN2 (OUT) - recommended, but not necessary

A 2-bucks modification .... pretty easy, isn´t it?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider german-pinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotten-dog-power-supply-voltage?tu=german-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.