(Topic ID: 322155)

Rotten Dog nvram problem system 11

By chickfisher68

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have a high speed with a rotten dog mpu and it has not been holding memory except free play . It was suggested to remove and reseat the nvram u25 so I did I installed it backwards and turned game on and nothing. Turned the chip around and now I have all 3 lights on the mpu on a gibberish on display. Can’t find a stk12c68-w45 any where . Anybody got one as I’m sure it fried. Hope there is no other damage. What if you put a standard ram in and hook up a battery back up and where would you hook it on rotten dog cpu?

#2 1 year ago

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-STK12C68_64_Kbit_(8_K_x_8)_AutoStore_nvSRAM_Datasheet-AdditionalTechnicalInformation-v09_00-EN.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c7d0d8da4017d0ecc045f45bf&utm_source=cypress&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=202110_globe_en_all_integration-files

That is a 64Kbit memory. The power pins are at the opposite corners so when installed backwards it reverses the power pin polarity pretty much guaranteed to kill the chip.

6264 is the generic part number for that kind of SRAM. If you want

FM1608 will probably work as an NVRAM, but I can't say for sure.

#3 1 year ago

Thank you barakandl . I ordered a fm1608 from marco and some used chips from china off ebay . I hope any chip works. Most of all I would like to fix the original problem of it not holding memory.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from chickfisher68:

Thank you barakandl . I ordered a fm1608 from marco and some used chips from china off ebay . I hope any chip works. Most of all I would like to fix the original problem of it not holding memory.

Those quantum trap NVRAM are a bit finicky. I tried to use one in the GTB sys 3 MPU that is not directly compatible with FM1608 and was having corruption issues at power up or down even with an extra cap.

The used pull FM1608 usually work okay. There is read/write endurance limit on the chip you don't know how much has been used up, but I really have never heard of one going bad in service that seems like an endurance issue, or any issue really. I asked Cypress why the endurance increased from a datasheet from 2004 vs 2016 or whenever the cypress rebranding came. They said the endurance rating is extremely conservative for worst case scenarios and in 2004 they where not ready to guarantee the life that they can now and the old date codes before the datasheet changed have the same endurance as the newer dated ones.

Give any used chip a good visual inspection. Sometimes you find a whisker of solder shorting two legs together that is hard to see.

#5 1 year ago

Rotten Dog your the best !!! They replied to email and are sending me a chip!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotten-dog-nvram-problem-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.