(Topic ID: 89456)

RotorDaves Route 66 odyssey is underway ....

By rotordave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,057 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
JFgrin.jpeg
image-918.jpg
image.jpg
image-258.jpg
image-677.jpg
image-829.jpg
image-441.jpg
image-141.jpg
image-527.jpg
RD trailer.jpg
Psssst....jpeg
Downwind.jpg
207575-v2.jpg
modelo-218.jpg
th-87.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

408 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rotordave. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Well, I'm here....

A lot of guys asked me to send pics of the Route 66 trip, so I started this thread.

I'll update it as I travel across the USA, when I have wifi.

The pictures will just be iPhone pics, I don't have any way to upload my good pics out on the road. They are what they are.

We spent a week in Los Angeles first, haven't been there for a while. Hasn't really changed much ...

Well, Disneyland has doubled the price ($130 USD for a one day pass) and also got insanely busy. We were there on a Wednesday which should usually be quiet, and there was like 50,000 people there. People were queuing an hour for a "fast pass". Mental. The RD trick is do "single rider" when ever you can ... my longest wait was the new Cars ride which was 35-40 mins. The normal queue was 120 minutes.

We went to Pinball Land in Santa Ana on Saturday for the Mustang Launch Party. Cool setup down there, a good mix of DMD and classic titles. Ron and team were lovely hosts, even shouting us a few drinks for "being from another continent"

After that I had the privilege of meeting a hep cat and seeing his private setup up in the hills. He knows he has to send me his 50s Ford pickup truck when he's done with it ...

Otherwise we just spent the week driving around the city, which is what I like to do. Well, usually I like to walk everywhere, but you can't do that in L.A, it's just too spread out.

rd

image-663.jpgimage-663.jpg

#3 9 years ago

The meals in the States haven't decreased in size ... Add in a Double Gulp soda and you're on a winner!

Or having a heart attack. Take your pick.

image-179.jpgimage-179.jpg

#5 9 years ago

While in Los Angeles, I hit solid gold in the 99c shop.

Pinsiders favorite beverage. Except Carl, he prefers Pepsi products.

image-848.jpgimage-848.jpg

#6 9 years ago

We flew into Chicago yesterday night. Got this cool pic of the city out the plane window.

Hope it comes up ok here. The city was shrouded in rain and looked quite dark and menacing.

image-317.jpgimage-317.jpg

#7 9 years ago

We drove down to DeMotte, Indiana today to collect the hearse for the Route 66 trip.

The funeral home website said the address was 621 N Hallett Street, we looked and looked and finally found the address which was a house (!!!) I went in there and knocked on the door ... Nobody there ... Went around back, all around, place was deserted. I thought, this can't be right ... I went next door to a store, and they knew where the home was, it was a mile down the road at 621 S Hallett Street ... Dohhhh! Lucky 621 N Hallett wasn't home or I might have got some shotgun pellets for my troubles!

When we got to the home, the funeral director was waiting. He was a nice guy ... I asked him why the address is wrong on his website and he's like "I've asked them to change it but they won't" Time for a new web company buddy!

The good news .. The hearse is pretty mint! It has a little rust around the back door handle which I knew of, otherwise for a 1993 car it is very good indeed. The air con even works! It's only done 60,000 miles.

PS the guy also has a 1997 White Caddy hearse for sale ... Looks mint. Don't know the price.

image-99.jpgimage-99.jpg

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Great stuff! Looking forward to this thread for a long time! I hope you brought meat pies to share!

I was soooooo going to bring a 12 pack of Mince and Cheese pies!

But having a 12 hour flight, then a week in L.A., plus another 4 hour flight, plus no refrigeration would equal ...

PIE APOCALYPSE!

I wouldn't want to food poison my Pinside pals!

rd.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Are you complaining? You could always try "plate splitting", when available. My wife brought a Maggianos "take home" meal with her the other day and i ate it for lunch and dinner

That's what we do ... Split the meals. They are just too big.

Danni and I split those ribs between us. And good they were too!

rd.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is what I expected. Nothing worse than a bunch of putrified meat pies and some drunken midwestern pinheads eating them and getting sick...
Curious >> Do you drink burbon RD?

Occasionally ... Like Gary Stern, vodka would probably be my first choice.

Might be limited to a few beers on this trip though, I don't think Fiona is too keen to pilot the hearse. It's massive!

rd.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man the Griswolds have got nothing on you RD!! This is the ULTIMATE vacation !! Simply. Awesome. Safe travels bro.

Thanks!

The Griswolds are our big inspiration for the trip! "Hi Holmes!"

I can't wait to strap a body to the roof. Because there won't be room inside .. It's full of pins!

Holiday roadddddddddd!

rd.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Have fun Dave! Looking forward to following It!

Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Have a blast RD & family

Thanks guys, and also thanks to the other kiwis that emailed.

rd.

#33 9 years ago

The weather has been crap up in Chicago today. I wanted to walk around and check out the city ... But it's been too wet.

Did an Architect Society tour at the Merchandise Mart building. This was the biggest building in the world when it was built in the 1920s. 4,200,000 sq foot. It takes up two city blocks.

And I got insurance on the Hearse! $200 for 6 months with State Farm. Even though I only need 1 month. Oh well, cheap enough and I have to have it or my ass will be in a sling.

Went to Guiliana and Bills restaurant for dinner. Big place ... Had a queue out the door at 630pm. Luckily Fiona booked 3 months ago. . Food was good, wasn't too pricey.

image-503.jpgimage-503.jpg

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

And someday we all will ride in one.

Nothing truer!

rd

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Did you notice the upside down Williams logo in the corridors? There was one at the main entrance in early March. I was in the building last week but did not use the main entrance so not sure if that sign is still there.

IMAG2234.jpg 280 KB

Yes, the MM logo does look a little like an upside down Williams logo .. There are the big Ms on the floor (reportedly standing for Marshall Fields who built the place in the 20s for $35m) and this main MM logo.

image-986.jpgimage-986.jpg

rd.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I meant the Motorola logo that looks like an upside down Williams "W"

Yeah that does ...

They have three whole floors. That's a lot of square footage!

rd.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Ah, shit.
Is your plan to go to Lyons, RD? If so.... I'll meet you there. And buy you some good beer.

Yes, we are playing in the Classic on the friday. Plus all the other comps that week.

rd

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

rd,
Are you and the family gonna take in a tour of Stern factory this week?
If so, offer to take Gary and Gomez for a Blues Brothers style cruise around town in the pin hearse, and then fill us in on the highlights.

Yeah, heading there in an hour. I already offered Gary a ride in the hearse ...

We will see if he's into it soon ...

rd

#54 9 years ago

Gary and Jody are loving the hearse!

rd

image-229.jpgimage-229.jpg

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

I thought Jody was a DUDE !!

He was holding the iPhone and taking the picture

rd

#73 9 years ago

The first victim has gone into the hearse ...

And a fitting one it was.

Check out the handy extending table ... You can lift the machine up here, remove the legs, swivel it around ... Winner!

rd

image-197.jpgimage-197.jpg

image-51.jpgimage-51.jpg

#74 9 years ago

BangerJay was cool enough to invite us and a few dudes to his house.

He's got a great collection of pins. Some real nice 80s ones ... Even a Joust!!

Check out his crazy rocking Flash. We had a 4 player $1 game and I won first out. Nice.

Even better, it was Centreflanks $1 so he is up $3. Super winner!

rd

#76 9 years ago

I bought BangerJay and Centerflank some top quality gifts!!

image-687.jpgimage-687.jpg

#81 9 years ago

The Flank and RD rocking some Shasta at 130am.

Hey, it's only an hour drive back to Chicago...

image-504.jpgimage-504.jpg

#82 9 years ago

Sorry Jetzxi!

image-999.jpgimage-999.jpg

#94 9 years ago

Well, it's 3.30am and we just got back to the hotel.

Big pin day! Stern factory tour, picking up pins, Pinball Life (cheers Terry!) BangerJays ...

The Hearse has done almost 400 miles since we picked it up!

Averages 22mpg so far. But with the pins in the back, it certainly feels a lot heavier. So the mileage will go down the toilet, I bet ...

BangerJay, thanks for the hospitality tonight. Awesome.

Corey, thanks for bringing my pin and my boards ... I hope the beers (and Shasta!) show my appreciation

Nice to meet all you other dudes too!

Sweeeeet

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We will be rooting for you both!

You guys and your rooting! We've had this discussion!

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Guns don't kill people,
LIONMAN kills people

Lionmans neighbours kill Lionman when his guests shout LIONMAAAANNNNN repeatedly at 230am ...

rd

#110 9 years ago

"Sweet home, Chicago..."

image-880.jpgimage-880.jpg

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Please tell me your valeting your car while your staying downtown.
chris

You know it!

Actually, we booked into the only hotel in downtown Chicago with free parking.

The car park attendant said to me this morning ... "I saw the boxes in the back of it last night (the pins) and I thought Shitttttttt they got a body in that thinnnnnng! But then I saw they were just boxes ..."

Lol

rd

#119 9 years ago

Had to do some emergency pin surgery in the hotel carpark tonight.

I hadn't accounted for the curve in the cars roof. So the headboxes needed to come off.

I knew I would have to remove one of them when I planned it ... But not all of them!

So armed with my Walmart socket set, off I went ....

// Error: Image 228681 not found //

image-888.jpgimage-888.jpg

image-275.jpgimage-275.jpg

image-528.jpgimage-528.jpg

image-485.jpgimage-485.jpg

#121 9 years ago

And you know what's funny?

This is totally by accident .....

Look in the side door windows of the Hearse ....

image-814.jpgimage-814.jpg

image-277.jpgimage-277.jpg

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Ohio House? That and the long gone Avenue Motel were the only two with free parking when I first started visiting Chicago in the Mid to late '70's. The Ohio House is still going strong.

Best Western River North. Bit of an older place, but it's a good spot and a reasonable price.

And free Hearse parking

rd

// Error: Image 228691 not found //
#124 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Hey----I forgot to ask or I dont remember how you liked TRON with all powerballs in it?

It was insane. When I walked up to the machine I saw the high score and thought "I'm in here!"

Then a powerball came out. Ok ... I'll get a Multiball going and get rid of it.

Oh ... There are now 3 powerballs. Hmmmm.

I think I got up to 20m odd which was pretty good considering the chaos.

Mind you, I think my retinas were damaged from playing the Ironman the game before. Ooooofffff !!

rd

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from clg:

You are going to have some interesting conversations with people along the way when they see those side windows that is awesome! Are you sure you can fit in pins 3 and 4?

3 ... No sweat.

4 .... Hmmm ....

rd.

#129 9 years ago

Three is better than the zero I would have got in a rental car!

These are all ones I wanted so that's cool.

Hey, I would have loved to take 10 ... But it is what it is ...

rd

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You gotta grab an Italian beef sandwich while you're in town. There are some great places right by your hotel. Portillo's, Al's and Mr. Beef are all within walking distance. I would also recommend getting some classic deep dish Chicago style pizza. Due's would be my recommendation, and it's also right by you.

That Portillos place is crazy ... I haven't eaten there yet, but I walked past the other day at about 3pm and there was 2 lanes of cars blocking the road waiting for drivethru hotdogs!

I read the business might be coming up for sale. 50 restaurants and 4000 employees. All owned by Mr Portillo.

I had a Chicago Hotdog yesterday from somewhere else. Had a polish sausage, pickles and onions and lots of other stuff on it. Enjoyed it! Its like a whole meal on a bun.

rd.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There is another very popular place by where you're staying called Eataly. It's relatively new. I've never been there, but I hear it's pretty cool. If you're looking for something a little more upscale, The Chicago Chop House is one of my absolute favorite steakhouses in the city.

There is no shortage of food outlets in this city ... There must be 20 in this block!

Eataly had a queue of 50 people outside last night at 9pm. Every place is crazy busy.

The recession must be over.

rd

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Holy crap that's tight! Great side window view, RD!
Those cushions covering the wheel well can likely be removed quite easily, not sure how much room they'll gain you but just a thought.
Keep posting pics, great thread!
Art

Cheers Art! I need a cool 1950s truck to fill up with pins so I can do a convoy ... Do you know of any?

rd.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The Galloping Ghost is a very cool place indeed. If you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend visiting the Museum of Science and Industry. When are you leaving Chicago and beginning your journey down Route 66?

Leaving here Monday.

Don't know if we will hit Galloping Ghost .. Only 7 pins (I have most of em) and I'm not really into arcades.

We are going to Logan Hardware at 12 (ish) if anyone wants to head over.

We will be there for an hour or two.

You can watch a machine being loaded into a hearse around 12

rd.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

I woke up today and got this pic from my buddy that's in Chicago for a cubs game. Small world.IMG_6899.jpg 54 KB

Hahaha what a classic!

rd

#157 9 years ago

I'm at Logan Hardware arcade. This is possibly the coolest place in the world.

Vintage Arcade games ... Check
Pinballs from all eras ... Check
Lots of beer .... Check
Lots of hearse parking ... Check
Checkered shirts .... Check

F*** me this place is cool. I just wish I could stay here all day.

Thanks to Barron for organizing the visit so Danni could play the games (she's under 21)

Jim Zespy, the owner, is such a nice guy.

image-821.jpgimage-821.jpg

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Two plaid shirts??? Fashion disaster!Hope you guys had a good time!

Plaid shirts and mondo facial hair!

I thought I was in Seattle in 1992!

Hahaha!

rd.

#161 9 years ago

A couple of pictures from Stern the other day ...

The Mustang LEs were running down the line. This was the first day they were being made.

These machines were labeled for Australia and France.

rd

image-683.jpgimage-683.jpg

image-827.jpgimage-827.jpg

image-162.jpgimage-162.jpg

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

This thread has propelled you to the top of the thumbs up rankings.

Oooooh how exciting

That's some rare air up there!

rd

#166 9 years ago

4 people were shot last night not far from the hotel. Cops everywhere tonight.

3 people killed this weekend, 25 others shot (but not dead yet).

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/545/video/p2p-80097917/

Crikey!

rd

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

How did the art on the LE Mustang cabs look in person Dave . I've heard that pictures don't do it justice . Apparantly it's printed on some new metallic type decal .

Yes Scott, it's printed on foil type stuff. It gives it a slight 3D effect.

You can definitely notice it if you look closely.

PS I have your Pinball Life stash in the hearse

rd.

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Slow night in chiraq

I see what you did there ...

rd

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Yeah, but I'll bet none of them were driving a hearse.

Ironically, they will be riding in one.

rd.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I thought that Fiona said that you weren't going to stay in any dodgey places this time. lol Ange ..

We're on a budget, champ!

rd

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Hmmm...cool 50's truck for sale?? Nope, don't know of one at all :whistle:However, with your mad skills, how many pins can you fit in a 1969 Grand Prix???

It's been considered ....

rd.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from skristof:

If you get a chance, head out to Kristof's in Round Lake. We can play a few games of pinball, and I will hook you up with some bowling/mini golf while you are at it...
Not to mention, you can take a picture of your hearse... next to MY hearse.
call or text me at: 847.363.8799

Sorry mate, a bit late ... We are hitting the road today.

Holiday roaaaadddddd!

rd.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from jtimmons:

If you are heading down RT 66 towards St. Louis, there are some awesome pin places! CP Pinball, Silverballroom, Orbit Pinball Lounge......AND you gotta grab some Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (on RT 66)!

Good tips, cheers. We will be in St Louis Tuesday ... Will see if we can check em out!

rd.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

CP Pinball is a MUST stop if they are open when you go through!

Yes, they have a good collection of games.

Unfortunately only open Fridays and Saturdays so we will miss out this time around.

All good!

rd.

#186 9 years ago

This is the best thing about the hearse ... The locking system.

Locks them pins in good and tight!!

image-21.jpgimage-21.jpg

#187 9 years ago

That 25 years I spent moving furniture and packing trucks has finally paid off.

rd

image-996.jpgimage-996.jpg

#195 9 years ago

The last meal in Chicago ... Portillos Hot Dogs.

Right over the road from the huge Rock n Roll McDonalds.

To give you an idea how popular this place is ... Mcdonalds probably had 20 patrons. Portillos would have had 200. Plus huge lines of cars for the double lane drive through.

Hot dog was great. The best $3.15 I have spent today.

image-904.jpgimage-904.jpg

#202 9 years ago

The Route 66 Roadtrip started today.

Here we hit the Magnificent Mile Michigan Ave in the hearse.

We thought this soundtrack would be appropriate. Although technically, we should have been on Lake Shore Drive for this. But I thought it'd be funnier on Michigan Ave with the fancy stores.

rd

#203 9 years ago

Here's the beast at the start of Route 66 on Adams Drive. The sign is on the left hand side.

No room to park there ... So I just double parked it

image-225.jpgimage-225.jpg

#205 9 years ago

This picture was taken in Joliet. It just seemed appropriate.

image-253.jpgimage-253.jpg

#207 9 years ago

Of course, Illinois is the home of the Blues Brothers. Joliet Jake was in Joliet Prison, and Elwood is named after the town up the road.

So of course, Joliet has to have a Blues mobile up on a stick!

image-631.jpgimage-631.jpg

image-961.jpgimage-961.jpg

#208 9 years ago

Here is the famous Gemini Giant.

Unfortunately, the Launching Pad restaurant it is part of closed last year, and is up for sale.

If anyone is looking for a change of lifestyle, buy it and I'll give you some tips to make it into a winner.

image-186.jpgimage-186.jpg

image-835.jpgimage-835.jpg

// Error: Image 229428 not found // // Error: Image 229430 not found //
#209 9 years ago

One thing we don't have in NZ is huge truck stops like you have here in the states.

This one is a famous one, there would have been 50-60 big rigs here. All driven by big dudes!

image-684.jpgimage-684.jpg

image-727.jpgimage-727.jpg

I needed to go to the bathroom ... I was a bit worried that SeaBass might come in ....

image-968.jpgimage-968.jpg

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

thanks for sharing Dave, awesome stuff.
which port are you dropping your pins off at ?

The Hearse and it's contents are shipping out of Los Angeles to Auckland.

rd.

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How long til we get to Wallyworld?

The day we get to your house.

Hahaha!

rd.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Has anyone else done the Route 66 trip before? I have always been interested in doing it, but heard it isn't as rewarding as some make it out to believe.

I'll let you know at the end.

I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you want dancing girls and Vegas shows, I ain't seen too many of them so far.

If you want to see a slice of middle America, I think that's what you'll see. We're in Springfield Illinois now, today we will check out the Abraham Lincoln stuff around here and a few other things.

Another update tonight!

rd.

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

I'd say the Route 66 today is more about exploration. Sorry for sounding like a postcard, but it's about the journey not necessarily the destination. You have to be willing to get out and talk to people. Appreciate the changing landscapes and even the different cultures. Things in New Mexico are just different than things in Illinois. A lot of the old geegaws and roadside attractions are gone or have fallen into disrepair, but there is still adventure out there if you're willing to look for it. If you just stick to the old route and drive with your head down you're probably going to have a bad time. It's the type of trip where you get back whatever you're willing to put into it.

This.

rd

#240 9 years ago

The Roadtrip Breakfast of Champions.

image-822.jpgimage-822.jpg

#253 9 years ago

Rightyho! Today started in Springfield.

We visited Lincoln's house first ... Run by the National Parks Service, they've rebuilt the whole neighborhood to be as it was when Lincoln lived here pre 1860. What that cost ... I don't know. But I bet it was plenty!

image-812.jpgimage-812.jpg

Then we visited Lincoln's tomb. Nobody does a tomb like the USA does. I went to Arlington in 2006 and saw the JFK tomb. What an cool experience that was. Very eerie.

image-117.jpgimage-117.jpg

image-111.jpgimage-111.jpg

image-447.jpgimage-447.jpg

#254 9 years ago

Then we went to OSheas museum. They knew we were coming so they were closed. Lol

Looked like a big pile of junk anyway! Haha! But they had an Airstream caravan that would have been cool to see.

image-775.jpgimage-775.jpg

image-974.jpgimage-974.jpg

#255 9 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot!

We had a hearse convention at the Springfield cemetery.

Two ladies were driving this white Caddy. It was identical to mine (except a caddy of course) made by the same dudes, Sayers and Scovill.

Then a black Ford hearse showed up! It was a hearse ho down at the cemetery!

image-883.jpgimage-883.jpg

#256 9 years ago

The hearse seemed pleased to be back in its natural habitat.

image-394.jpgimage-394.jpg

image-522.jpgimage-522.jpg

#257 9 years ago

You'd think the capital of Illinois would be Chicago. It ain't. It's Springfield.

image-629.jpgimage-629.jpg

#260 9 years ago

On to a highlight so far ... COZY DOG!

This place does hot dogs on a stick. In NZ, that's what a "hot dog" is. On a stick. We have them in a bun too, we call those ones "American hot dogs"

The Cozy Dog ones were nice. Different to NZ ones. The coating was more like a doughnut. NZ ones are fryed crispy.

But nice all the same. And they were nice guys too. Family owned for 50 years. Or something.

image-883.jpgimage-883.jpg

image-970.jpgimage-970.jpg

image-873.jpgimage-873.jpg

#262 9 years ago

Out of Springfield, down to Mt Olive. There's an old motel and service station there, long abandoned ...

The Belevidere motel. The Cafe still had all the fittings inside it!

image-199.jpgimage-199.jpg

#263 9 years ago

On to Staunton ... Where we find Henry's Ra66it (that's rabbit..) Ranch.

We got there after closing. The guy was there mowing his lawns. I saw all the crap around the place and thought "this guys a whacko"

But he came on over and got talking, opened up his store, and was probably one of the nicest guys I've met.

He did have a strange penchant for rabbits though. Both the furry kind, and the VW kind. Hmmm.

image-843.jpgimage-843.jpg

image-212.jpgimage-212.jpg

#264 9 years ago

Then we made it through to St Louis. That arch is very large indeed.

We were too late to get inside it ... But I got some cool "magic hour" photos of it.

Now we are at the Hard Rock in St Louis in the restored Union Station. Having a beer to end off the day.

image-330.jpgimage-330.jpg

image-953.jpgimage-953.jpg

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hey Dave , even with the hearse loaded with pins , the hearse doesnt look loaded down by the looks of your pics. Must have some great suspension!

Made to handle fat dead people.

Actually the air suspension system in the rear is acting up. Seems to have a slow leak.

It's got worse with all the weight in the back. The car floats a little but isn't too bad.

I'll get it up on a hoist somewhere and check it out.

rd

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from spacies:

You keep eating that type of food horse and ya'll be one of those fat dead people! Ha ha.

Everything in moderation Horse.

rd.

#284 9 years ago

Yep!

We split the meals up. For example tonight at Hard Rock we had a Cobb Salad main meal and Chicken Tenders starter. Me and Danni had a few tenders each and Fiona and I had some salad.

Neat!

rd.

#287 9 years ago
Quoted from lefttee:

Today you get to see the worlds largest rocking chair in my town.

Indeed we do!

rd

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Hey how does this compare to driving around NZ ? Similar?

You drive on the wrong side of the road. What's wrong with you people?

In Los Angeles and Chicago the drivers are a lot more aggressive for sure. Cutting in and out of traffic. Rarely using turn signals. Cutting right in front of you. Out in the country things are better

The country roads are surprisingly narrow considering the size of the cars/trucks using them.

Also, a lot of the main freeways in Chicago and L.A. are third world standards. Where do all the road tolls go?

Honestly, I went over a pothole in Chicago the other day, it was so big there were three families living in it.

Boom boom tish!

rd.

#307 9 years ago

Today's extravaganza ... We stayed overnight in Wildwood Hotel just south of St Louis.

First we headed to the Meramac Caverns. Jesse James hid out here from the chasing lawmen.

Pretty extensive cave network. I think he said there were 16 miles of caves?

Worth a look if you're passing. About $16 a head for a 90 minute tour.

image-130.jpgimage-130.jpg

image-825.jpgimage-825.jpg

image-840.jpgimage-840.jpg

#308 9 years ago

Oh yeah! In the gift shop, I found a shirt for Ted!

image-528.jpgimage-528.jpg

#309 9 years ago

In Fanning MO, It's the Worlds Biggest Rocking Chair! Presumably for the Worlds Biggest Ass! Which I saw at dinner tonight, coincidently.

While the chair is a bit lame, the store has a good selection of Route 66 shit and an archery range out back where you can go and shoot off some arrows. At fake animals. THUNK!

image-906.jpgimage-906.jpg

#311 9 years ago

The Famous Munger Moss Motel in Lebanon, MO.

This place is still going strong after 50+ years.

image-852.jpgimage-852.jpg

#312 9 years ago

This is the Laura Ingalls house in Mansfield, MO. Not the one on the TV show Little House on the Prarie, but the one where she lived when she wrote the books.

Of course, we missed it by half an hour ... But probably not a huge loss.

image-98.jpgimage-98.jpg

#313 9 years ago

We made it to Branson Missouri tonight.

Tomorrow we are off to Silver Dollar City to ride the roller coasters.

Just had a nice dinner at Montana Mikes Steak House. I had a great steak. Fiona ordered a $10 salad ... I think it was big enough for the whole family ...!!

image-174.jpgimage-174.jpg

#314 9 years ago

Look what I found today ....

image-157.jpgimage-157.jpg

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Your wife is looking at that salad and I'm guessing she's thinking "Why are all the meals in America so huge?" That's because many American's are huge!
Seriously, I'm loving this thread and I'm putting Route 66 on my 'bucket list'.
Curious, when you bought the hearse, how did you go about insurance and the personal license plate as a resident of another country? And in case I missed it, what does "FRAZIER" stand for?

FRAZIER is the funeral director I bought it off. I have X number of days to get the title changed to my name. By that time, she's on the boat to NZ.

With the insurance, I got it from State Farm. $200 for 6 months. Of which I'm only using 1 month, but it's worth it and of course, I have to have insurance in the USA.

rd.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Your wife is looking at that salad and I'm guessing she's thinking "Why are all the meals in America so huge?" That's because many American's are huge!

Well, you're right there. I think when you need to use an Electric Scooter to get around Walmart, it's time to reassess your life decisions.

There was a guy on the cave tour this morning, probably my age but twice my size (and I'm hardly small ..)

He couldn't make it up the stairs to the final section of the cave. He needed to wait there for everyone to come back. That's pretty stink!

rd

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Ahhh, I see, nice of him to leave his plate on. When I sell a vehicle, I take the plate off before it leaves my property, that way I can transfer it to my next car plus I don't have to worry about the cops showing up in case the buyer holds up a bank on the way home! (Not that you would do something like that before you fly out of the country!)

Hmmmmmmm now you got me thinking ....

rd.

#329 9 years ago

Talking of meth, reminds me of a funny story from the other day.

We were driving to the Belvedere Motels. We went past an old run down motel place, and some redneck type guy was sitting outside a room on a deck chair. Looked a bit down and out.

Anyway, he sees the hearse driving past slowly because we are looking for the Belvedere place.

He stands up and takes his cap off and holds it in front of his chest to pay respect to the dead guy in the hearse ...

It was pretty funny to see ....

rd.

#330 9 years ago

Oh yeah ... Yesterday we clicked up 1000 miles on the trip so far (1600km)

I had the iPhone poised by the trip meter to record this momentous occasion, and it rolled from 999 miles to 0 miles ... It only went to 999! That was a bit of an anticlimax.

rd.

#336 9 years ago

Spent the day at Silver Dollar City, Branson, Missouri.

What a top place. Had a similar "family feel" to KennyWood over in Pittsburgh.

It's been built in the middle of the woods, so plenty of mature trees around. Really well done.

We went on the Outlaw Run ... Indeed, it's probably one of the best coasters I've ever been on. And I've been on a few.

Possibly Hades at Mt Olympus in Wisconsin Dells tops it for sheer "ohhh faaark I'm gonna die" fear ... But Outlaw Run is definitely cooler.

A wooden coaster that does a corkscrew? Say whaaaat! You have to ride it to believe it. It's very fast, the whole ride would last a minute I guess. Maybe 90 seconds.

We had one ride and decided to come back later to have more.

We hit up all the other rides, but around 2pm a huge thunder/lightning storm came in. We were on the Wide Fire coaster when it started, we got pelted with huge ran drops in the face at 60mph. It was cool! And wet.

And that was it. The place had to close because of all the lightning.

So we only got one go on Outlaw Run. But we really enjoyed the place.

Possibly the best park I've been to overall? Not as many rides as Cedar Point but it balances all the stuff it has got nicely with other stuff like the "bluegrass and BBQ" thing it's got running now.

image-7.jpgimage-7.jpg

image-975.jpgimage-975.jpg

image-71.jpgimage-71.jpg

We waited till 330 but it was obvious the rain wasn't going to stop. So we bailed off for the 2 hour drive to Joplin MO for the night.

image-919.jpgimage-919.jpg

#337 9 years ago

There were a few candidates for "Worlds biggest ass" to use the Worlds biggest Rocking chair we saw the other day.

Oddly, all these pictures were taken around food outlets.

image-678.jpgimage-678.jpg

image-984.jpgimage-984.jpg

#338 9 years ago

Missouri is the home of churches. I have never seen so many churches.

In stores, "Thank you" and "have a nice day" have been replaced by "bless you" and "have a blessed day"

We started a car game. Everytime we spot a church, we shout CHURCH and hit the person next to us.

We all have bruised legs.

image-404.jpgimage-404.jpg

#340 9 years ago

A funny story. We started talking to a lovely lady at Silver Dollar City who was tending to the goats and other farm animals they have there.

She asked "where y'all from" and we said New Zealand ...

She immediately started talking really slow so we could understand her!

"Wel - come to Sil - ver Doll - ar cit - y Ya - all .... Do You Like It Here ?"

Imagine her surprise when we answered in almost perfect queens English. She sped it up a little after that.

She was a really nice lady... As was everyone at the park. A lot of older folk work there which makes a change from kids you see at the other parks.

rd

image-555.jpgimage-555.jpg

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is Hades the one that goes under the parking lot?

Yep, that's the one. It's shakin all over the place ... You think it's gonna fly off the tracks and smash you into the underground tunnel.

I rarely get scared on rides, but I poohed my pants on that one!!

One girl was so traumatized by her ride, she wouldn't/couldn't get out of the car at the end. They had to close the ride until her friends could get her out. Then she crawled (literally) out of the car, over to the hand rail and held onto it for like 15 minutes.

rd.

#344 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Good riddance to that bone shaking pile of crap.

Lol! I looked up a video of it. It sure looked rough.

The coasters at Silver Dollar were all buttery smooth.

rd.

#345 9 years ago

Just cracked open a Route 66 beer.

Looks light ... But tastes dark! Quite weird. It's made in Wisconsin.

Not a bad drop!

image-668.jpgimage-668.jpg

#348 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hey Dave, when you get back to So Cal, I've got a coaster for you.
» YouTube video

I've been on it! Great coaster.

My father in Law was siting next to me on it ... Honestly, I thought he was having a heart attack. He was puffing and wheezing ... He gave me the shits!

rd.

#350 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Dave when you meeting up with the rest of the guys?? Lol and can you give us a ride in the Hearse at Pincade next March???

Probably catching up with Scott and Wagenwacsher either in Albuquerque or Lyons.

Of course you can have a ride! If I still have it. I may keep it, I may sell it. I will have too many cars so I might list them all up for sale and see what happens. We shall see.

rd

#352 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What's the exchange rate like these days, rd? When I visited New Zealand back in 1993, the US dollar was nearly double the value of the NZD. Talk about a cheap holiday!

Yeah, I came here once about 15 years ago and I got 49 US cents for my $1.

Talk about a shitter!

At present it's about 85-87 US cents for my $1. So pretty good for me!

That makes my 39c Shasta cans about 45 NZ cents! Nice!

rd.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Don't forget to hit an All-American drive-thru during your travels rd!

fast-food-20.jpg 37 KB

Haha classic!

We are staying over the road from a Sonic Drive In ... That looks pretty sweet!

rd

#356 9 years ago

I can not believe how different Missouri is from Illinois.

It's like a different country. Yet it's an hour down the road.

The people are all "down south" types.

The accent is different. Way different.

Churches everywhere. Everywhere! 1000s of em!

"Bless you" everywhere. Christian radio stations. Christian ads on the other radio stations.

People wear dungarees. In public!

Just amazing the difference a line on a map makes.

I'm sure I'll see some more changes when I get to Oklahoma tomorrow.

rd

#362 9 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

You've been to Cedar Point too? That's only about 50 minutes west of Cleveland... when were you up here?
Great trip report Dave... loving reading along!

In 2006 we drove from Chicago - Wisconsin - Cedar Point - Cleveland - Pittsburgh - Washington DC - Philly - New. York City in a rented Chrysler 300c. Good trip.

Can't wait to get back to NYC one day. Cool city.

rd.

#363 9 years ago

Look what I found under the hearse seat

image-608.jpgimage-608.jpg

#366 9 years ago

Bless Rock 107.1. Good to finally hear some decent hard rock music on this trip.

I used to love driving in Los Angeles blasting KROQ but that's shit now.

107.1 is blasting some good stuff. Even Steel Panther!

Don't know where it broadcasts from, they didn't say.

rd.

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Steel Panther is awesome. Not sure EXACTLY what your route is, but they're playing Oklahoma City tomorrow night and Houston on Sunday. Something to see...
Luke

I will be there. I have tickets lined up already

I've seen them twice before, in London and in Auckland.

They rule!

rd.

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The hearse was not equipped with satellite radio?

I don't think that was invented in 1993.

rd.

#378 9 years ago

Huge day today on Route 66.

Started the day in Joplin, Missouri. They've done the Main Street up nicely to showcase Route 66. Even though Route 66 never went down the Main Street. (Shhhh don't tell anyone!)

image-442.jpgimage-442.jpg

image-365.jpgimage-365.jpg

I also saw my first "dumpster diver" there. He got a great pair of sneakers and a cool plastic bucket.

image-683.jpgimage-683.jpg

#380 9 years ago

Then onwards to Galina, Kansas .. Not far down the road from Joplin. There is only 13 miles of Route 66 in Kansas.

This place is the real deal. They get Route 66 and how it should be done.

The place was derelict 10 years ago and 4 local ladies took it upon themselves to start doing the place up and preserving it. The rest of the town laughed at them but a few years later, the townsfolk came asking for advice how to do up their stores!

This place was the inspiration for a lot of the things you see in the Cars movie including Tow Mater.

The driving force behind all this is a 4'6" dynamo called "Melba the Mouth"

Jeeeezus she never shuts up! She's crazy passionate about what she's doing.

image-653.jpgimage-653.jpg

image-306.jpgimage-306.jpg

#381 9 years ago

Over the road from Melba's place (Cars on Route 66) she has restored an old house that was a Bordello back in the day.

She showed us the pictures of it ... Seriously, it was falling down.

The place is haunted by two ghosts. They have been recorded speaking.

Melba can't get any of the locals to work in there! They come in and work for a few weeks, eventually they get spooked and leave! So we couldn't go in there unfortunately.

image-783.jpgimage-783.jpg

#382 9 years ago

Then we passed through Baxter Springs, which got smashed by the tornado two weeks ago.

One side of the Main Street was ok ... The other side was big piles of rubble. A whole concrete gas station was munted up. Lots of houses were missing roofs and we saw roofing iron in paddocks and up in trees 2 miles up the road.

As I said, only 13 miles of Route 66 in Kansas ... But they did it well.

image-446.jpgimage-446.jpg

#383 9 years ago

Over the border to Miami, Oklahoma. First place we sought out is the famous Waylon's Ku-Ku burger stand.

There used to be 200 of these things, but this is the last one left.

Killer burgers! And waffle fries. Well worth a visit.

image-764.jpgimage-764.jpg

Also in Miami is the historic Coleman Theatre. We stopped for pictures and ended up getting a whole tour of the place.

Again, lovely people in there. They even fired up the original pipe organ for us.

image-731.jpgimage-731.jpg

image-870.jpgimage-870.jpg

#384 9 years ago

Off to Catoosa to see the famous (and ultra crusty!) Blue Whale.

Originally part of a reptile park, this is all that remains. The locals voluntarily maintain the place.

You can climb up into the head of the whale ... Dannis up there in the picture.

image-452.jpgimage-452.jpg

image-233.jpgimage-233.jpg

#385 9 years ago

There's a huge Hard Rock Casino in Tulsa. Fiona collects Hard Rock Hurricane Glasses (as you do..) so we went to get one.

The valet guys loved the hearse and let me park it in the driveway. Nice!

image-622.jpgimage-622.jpg

#386 9 years ago

Then off to Stroud, Oklahoma. A old classic Route 66 restaurant, made out of rocks from the construction of Route 66.

Not open when we passed, so I can't comment on the food.

image-715.jpgimage-715.jpg

#388 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Did you win enough at the casino to pay for the trip?

Nope! I don't gamble. Except on Hearses.

rd

#389 9 years ago

Then off to Arcadia to visit POPS, a huge place in the middle of nowhere.

And it was packed! Basically a service station with hamburger restaurant and 250 different sorts of Soda for sale.

Including this Bacon beauty for Pinsiders!

image-388.jpgimage-388.jpg

They have a cool huge soda bottle out front which lights up in different colours and patterns. Pretty funky!

image-709.jpgimage-709.jpg

#391 9 years ago

Then we made the drive into Oklahoma City where we are staying for the night.

So it's been a big day on Route 66!

The hearse trip is up to 1400 miles, and the hearse is averaging 20.2mpg which is pretty good considering it's probably got a metric tonne of crap in it.

rd.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Dave, when you finally get the Lincoln home, what will happen to the car? Sell it? Do you have to convert it to right hand drive? Add Amber turn signals to the rear of the car? Alter the windshield wipers?

None of the above. It's over 20 years old so it's classified as a "vintage car" in New Zealand.

If it was under 20 years old, it would need to be converted and that'd be a disaster all round.

So I can get it registered and drive it around as it is now. Nice!

rd.

#394 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

The 1993 Town Car has a combined MPG rating of 19. 24 MPG is attainable. The extra coachwork, of the Hearse will lower the MPG.

Add 3 pinball machines and 3 humans and a heap of pinball parts and a heap of luggage

It really feels the extra weight when it comes to a hill. I drove trucks for 25 years so I basically drive it like a diesel 10 tonne truck and keep the momentum up and it goes along ok.

I always get good MPG on all my vehicles. I've averaged 11 l/100km (22mpg) on my V8 Lexus ISF over the 58,000km since I bought it new. Considering its 420hp and I drive a lot in town, and give it some good thrashing a occasionally, that's pretty darn good.

rd.

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

where did you go in wisconsin? The Dells?

Yes, Wisconsin Dells for a night. Cool little town.

rd.

#401 9 years ago

Happiness is:

Hooters wings
Hooters beer
Hooters girls
Hooters sports tv

Doesn't get better really. I'm a man of simple needs.

image-270.jpgimage-270.jpg

#405 9 years ago
Quoted from spacies:

Horse, vintage is 40 years, not 20.

Not according to LTSA regarding imports. Maybe vintage isn't the right term but that's what the importers use.

You can import 20 year old cars as "vintage". Check Trade Me and see all the 92 and 93 RX7s that are coming in again. Previously you couldn't import pre 2000 RX7s as they didn't meet frontal impact laws. But after they are 20 years old ... It's a free for all.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/step-one/cars.html

40 years old is regarded "vintage" in regards to getting cheaper registration.

rd.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#406 9 years ago

Had a day in Okahoma City today.

The town is NBA crazy because the Thunder is in the Playoffs. A kiwi plays for the a Thunder, Steven Adams.

We went to the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial. It's really nicely done. A Parks Ranger gave a 20 minute talk about the site and what happened back in 1995.

image-244.jpgimage-244.jpg

image-526.jpgimage-526.jpg

image-578.jpgimage-578.jpg

image-711.jpgimage-711.jpg

#407 9 years ago

Kiwi Steven Adams is featured promenently around the city.

His sister Valerie Adams is the World and Olympic Shotput champion, don't you know ....

This pic is on the front door of the Oklahoma Thunder stadium.

image-933.jpgimage-933.jpg

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from spacies:

Yeah that's it. 20 years old easy import, 40 years old cheap rego.
We were talking about your thread the meet last night at Nicks. We're all enjoying it

Sweet! Looks like Nick had a good turnout.

Congrats to K. Hogan for winning for the first time. And to Paul Choi for coming second. Good effort guys.

rd.

#412 9 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Are you going to get to see Steel Panther play "Girl from Oklahoma" in Oklahoma? Because that would be splendid...Luke

I am at the Diamond Ballroom right now!

Opening act just finished... "Future Villians" from Los Angeles. They were ok .. Singer was a bit whiney for my liking.

Their best songs were covers of "if you want blood" by ACDC and "highway star" by Deep Purple which kicked ass. So I guess that sums up their originals LOL

image-446.jpgimage-446.jpg

#413 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I review this thread every day and cant figure out why I badly want to buy a hearse.

You know you want one CF!!

I'll hook you up with that 97 white Caddy and we can be Hearse buddies!

rd

#417 9 years ago

Steel Panther were awesome, as per usual. These guys know how to put on a rock show.

image-219.jpgimage-219.jpg

image-912.jpgimage-912.jpg

For the song "17 Girls in a Row" they got a heap of girls up on stage. Probably 17!

Some hot ones, but ohhhhhboy a couple of real stump pullers! LOL!

image-805.jpgimage-805.jpg

image-400.jpgimage-400.jpg

#418 9 years ago

Then to top it off, after the show all the band members signed the hearse!

Bitching!

image-150.jpgimage-150.jpg

image-105.jpgimage-105.jpg

image-143.jpgimage-143.jpg

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

#419 9 years ago

Rock and rollllllllllll !!!!

rd.

#424 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If Flanker passes, I am seriously interested in the 97 and would like the info Dave. Please pass it along when you get a chance.

I just emailed the details to CF, and asked him to pass it along to you (I don't have your email)

rd.

#425 9 years ago

After the Steel Panther gig, and waiting around in the carpark for an hour for them to sign my hearse, I decided to drive back into OK City and get some pics of the Memorial all lit up.

I tell you what, at 1.30am it was a spooky place. The downtown area was deserted. No cars, no people, nothing. Really eerie. Lying on my stomach setting up the camera on my tiny tripod was freaky... Lots of noises from wildlife in the trees so you kept looking over your shoulder all the time.

This ones just off the iPhone but you can see what I was going for. The long exposures on my camera came out pretty good. The chairs were very hard to photograph nicely.

image-455.jpgimage-455.jpg

#426 9 years ago

Lexi Foxx and Satchel gave me some guitar pics. Nice!

image-604.jpgimage-604.jpg

#427 9 years ago

The Panther signed hearse ...

image-287.jpgimage-287.jpg

#430 9 years ago

Not much sleep last night after rocking with the Panther!

First stop today was Clinton, OK.

We found this ultra cool old motel called The Glancy.

I just can't believe these places are in the dilapidated condition they are. I just want to move here, buy it, and make it cool again. I just see all the potential in these places and cry a little inside ...

image-859.jpgimage-859.jpg

image-898.jpgimage-898.jpg

#431 9 years ago

Up the road was the Route 66 Museum in Clinton. Well worth a visit. Only $5 for adults.

You go through the entire history of 66 from the 20s to today. Excellent.

image-254.jpgimage-254.jpg

image-71.jpgimage-71.jpg

image-837.jpgimage-837.jpg

#432 9 years ago

All the way down Route 66, there are abandoned gas stations and motels. A sign of times past ....

image-913.jpgimage-913.jpg

#433 9 years ago

This cool mural was in Erick, Oklahoma.

image-470.jpgimage-470.jpg

image-866.jpgimage-866.jpg

// Error: Image 231911 not found //
#436 9 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

All other threads are jealous of this thread. Can't get enough of it. Looks like a rockin' good time so far.
I repeat: BEST. THREAD. EVER.

Thanks for the kind words

MrBally ... Yep, I know what happened. We had exactly the same thing happen in NZ when highways bypass small towns. The same thing happens all over the world.

But with a town like Clinton, which is only a 1/2 mile from the I40, a hotel like the Clancy could be a winner again.

You just need to make it a destination ... Not just another old motel.

rd.

#437 9 years ago

Over the border to Texas we go. Yeeeee Haawwwww. Where's Iceman??

They had a "most wanted" picture here with a picture of Rarehero on it? Hmmmm....

image-967.jpgimage-967.jpg

First stop was Shamrock, TX. Evidently called this because of all the Irish immigrants there.

Now, it seems a bit strange to me that a whole lot of Irish dudes would end up out here in the middle of Texas ... Maybe the beer was really good or something?

This 1930s deco building was used as the basis for Ramones Body Shop in the Cars movie.

image-234.jpgimage-234.jpg

#439 9 years ago

There is the world famous (in McLean TX anyway) Devils Rope Museum.

Dedicated to the history of BARBED WIRE!!

Mercifully it was closed by the time we got there lol

image-325.jpgimage-325.jpg

#440 9 years ago

Here is the "leaning tower of Texas" in Groom, Texas.

It's on a huge lean ... This picture doesn't really show it. I don't know how it's held up ...

image-146.jpgimage-146.jpg

#441 9 years ago

The biggest Cross in the Western Hemisphere is also in Groom.

Big cross you say? Whoopty do?

Actually, it was pretty darn cool. Around the cross were 14 statues depicting the 14 stages of the crucifixion. These were stunningly made. The church had a very cool water feature in the centre of it. I'm always a starter for a good water feature.

image-121.jpgimage-121.jpg

image-150.jpgimage-150.jpg

#442 9 years ago

All day we've been battling real strong headwinds ... All the way from OK to Texas.

It'll be ruining my gas mileage!

We had a couple of really good dust storms throughout the day too.

The wind was so strong, the Glancy Motel sign was swaying a foot in either direction. With the state of repair that it's in, I honestly thought it might blow over.

This pic is from the end if the day coming into Amarillo. Nice cloudy sky from all the dust.

image-836.jpgimage-836.jpg

#443 9 years ago

Finally, we made it to the destination we've been waiting for.

The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, Texas.

We showed up at 8pm, the place was packed but we got a table in 5 minutes. Nice.

One bigggg guy was up on the stage attempting the 72oz steak challenge. He gave it a good go, but he still had a plate of food left at the end of the hour you're given to eat it all. Not only do you have to eat the 72oz steak, you have to eat bread, shrimp cocktail, baked potato and a salad.

I struggled to eat my 18oz ribeye, so I don't think I would be man enough to try a 72oz on.

image-262.jpgimage-262.jpg

image-633.jpgimage-633.jpg

image-308.jpgimage-308.jpg

#444 9 years ago

The band took a liking to Danni ... What's the legal age for marriage in Texas again?

#446 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Great thread, enjoyable reading! (how does the "Redneck capitol of the world" look like?)

My house.

By seriously, the guys around here refer to themselves as rednecks.

At the Panther gig last night, there were hundreds of pickup trucks and cowboy hats.

It was cool to be rockin along with them. Rock n roll knows no boundaries!!

rd.

#447 9 years ago

Danni got a cool hat with her meal. I don't think it was edible though.

rd.

image-724.jpgimage-724.jpg

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But was it good?

It was superb!! At first I was bummed because I forgot to order the sauce for the top of the steak.

But it didn't need it! It was super juicy and moist!

Hmmmmmmm moist

rd

#457 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

RotorDave will be at my house within the hour. Made room for the hearse, Kristin cooking up some green chile enchiladas and I'm icing the drinks.

Exciting! Just leaving hotel now ...

rd.

#464 9 years ago

Right! Today we left Amarillo for New Mexico!

First stop was the Cadillac Ranch just out of Amarillo.

This place is pretty famous. All the Caddys are spray painted now. Check out the amount of paint on them! It's about an inch thick.

Honestly, my opinion ... They'd be cooler if they were all original. That'd rock.

image-951.jpgimage-951.jpg

image-256.jpgimage-256.jpg

image-472.jpgimage-472.jpg

#465 9 years ago

We made the mid point!

And the hearse hasn't blown up yet! What a winner.

image-383.jpgimage-383.jpg

image-746.jpgimage-746.jpg

#466 9 years ago

At the mid point, there's a cool diner and gift shop. I even bought a Texas Route 66 shirt for $10!

Next door is this cool deserted motel. I got talking to the owner of the diner who said the family that own it have just left it to rot. She'd been trying to buy it for 10 years but they won't sell it. Just crazy.

The diner is so busy, she'd sold out of cakes by lunchtime and was out back making more.

image-544.jpgimage-544.jpg

image-64.jpgimage-64.jpg

image-879.jpgimage-879.jpg

image-445.jpgimage-445.jpg

#470 9 years ago

Right on the New Mexico border, there's this cool ghost town called GlenRio.

It's a photographers wet dream ... I probably rattled off 100 shots on my big camera.

image-770.jpgimage-770.jpg

image-405.jpgimage-405.jpg

image-412.jpgimage-412.jpg

image-868.jpgimage-868.jpg

#471 9 years ago

Here's the famous Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. It's a swimming hole.

It really is quite blue. It's 80ft deep.

image-206.jpgimage-206.jpg

image-506.jpgimage-506.jpg

#472 9 years ago

Here's a vid I shot cruising up the Interstate 40 across New Mexico.

As you can see, there is a wide expanse of nothing! For about 150 miles, this is what you see.

Check out the radio station

#473 9 years ago

We hit Albuquerque about 630 ... Finally found a shop that sold beer (target and walgreens didn't!!) and headed to Tim Mezelmods house.

Tim's wife made us some lovely New Mexican food. Don came over and we drank a lot and played some pinball!

It's like 1230 now and we are still going ... Tim is helping to finance my trip by playing me for $20s

image-623.jpgimage-623.jpg

image-720.jpgimage-720.jpg

image-437.jpgimage-437.jpg

Tim showed me his Mezelmods setup and I was most impressed. These things are so cheap!

I'm getting an ACDC bell mod for my ACDC! Bitchin! Tim rules!

#474 9 years ago

No Tim, no!

image-996.jpgimage-996.jpg

#475 9 years ago

What a great night at the Mezelmods HQ.

Thanks to Tim and Kristen for inviting us over. And to Don for popping over and drinking the beers!

Sweeeeeeeeet

rd.

#476 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hey Dave , how much to fill the tank on the hearse? Whats the price of gas?

Gas price depends on the State Clive ... I've seen $3.29 to $3.89 on the trip.

I guess the hearse has a 20 gallon tank because I put 18 in there the other day, and the EMPTY EMPTY FULL IT UP YOU IDIOT!! light was on.

I filled it to the brim and took the mileage, and filled it today when I was on the New Mexican leg.

It'd done 295 miles on 14.2 gallons so that's 20.8mpg which is pretty much in line with the 20.4mpg that the trip computer is saying we've averaged after 2000 miles (we hit 2000 miles today!!) Which isn't too bad considering all the weight we are lugging around.

rd

#478 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Nice awkward picture lol!

Look closely at my hand

rd.

#483 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Ha my Subaru gets 20-21 on prem Gas when Im behaving my self. Turbo dosn't help =)

My RX7s are the same... I can get reasonable mileage just putting around ... But crank the turbos and the gas mileage goes out the window.

Nothing gives you a thrill like a good turbo setup.

rd.

#486 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Nope. That's me.

12 seconds for a Jeep is hauling ass! Does it do wheel stands?

rd.

#490 9 years ago

12 is fast for a street car. My first RX7 did 12.9 at 108mph back in the day. It was the second fastest import in NZ at the time (fastest was 12.5)

Fast forward 15 years and there are 30 imports in NZ that run under 10. The fastest are low 7s.

rd.

#493 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What I'd like to know is how Dave manages to drive and type all these posts at the same time.

Dave only posts when he's sitting where there is WIFI

Mezelmods gave Danni these cool LED gloves!

Rumour is Mezelmods is going to adapt the glove to fit Johnny Nemonic .... Hmmmmn

image-410.jpgimage-410.jpg

#495 9 years ago

We decided to start our day in ABQ with a trip to the dark side.

image-790.jpgimage-790.jpg

Danni and I shared a $7.19 breakfast between us.

#496 9 years ago

Knock knock .... "Hello, is Walter White in?"

"Errr no ..."

"How about Heisenburg?"

image-681.jpgimage-681.jpg

#498 9 years ago

Skylar wasn't in, but we paid our fee and gave the piece of paper to Ramon and we had an A1 day.

image-498.jpgimage-498.jpg

#501 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I should have peed on your tires for the photo bomb. Last night was blast, lots of beer and some good schooling on ACDC. You and the family are very nice indeed. Tonight it's the Aussies!

Just keep an eye on those Aussies. They're all descended from convicts don't you know.

Make sure to count all your cutlery pieces and Bell Mods just in case ....

#502 9 years ago

More Breaking Bad stuff!!

Since Sal Goodman "disappeared" cough cough his office has been turned into a dodgy looking night club!

image-358.jpgimage-358.jpg

Hank and Marees house looked a bit empty now Hank isn't around ....

image-614.jpgimage-614.jpg

#503 9 years ago

Los Pollos Hermanos!!

Gus Fring wasn't in when we visited.

image-393.jpgimage-393.jpg

image-538.jpgimage-538.jpg

#504 9 years ago

Jesses house. This is only a few blocks from the ABQ "old town"

image-666.jpgimage-666.jpg

image-488.jpgimage-488.jpg

#506 9 years ago

Breaking Bad is big business around Albuquerque.

Heisenberg T-shirts are everywhere. The candy shop makes blue "meth candy". They do bus tours of the locations.

I was talking to the nice lady who owns Walter Whites house. She says people from all over the world come there. The other day 2 guys from Siberia (!!) on a motorbike came. She said they didn't speak any english at all ... But they knew where the house was ...

I was only there for 5 minutes and two other cars pulled up there.

image-413.jpgimage-413.jpg

#507 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Did you score some blue meth?

Only the fake stuff. I like my teeth too much to do the real stuff.

rd.

#508 9 years ago
Quoted from mikeincali:

More important question: Who's selling that Iron Maiden Beer in the US??

I got a bottle last night in New Mexico, just at a bottle store. Fiona spotted it and I said I gotta take that to Odins place!!

rd

#510 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We'll take all the donations we can get! Shall I start rounding up the crew?

Yeah man! Make it happen for the Friday night!

You might be able to coax down the Los Angeles crew ...

rd

#516 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Wait! wheres my Enchiladas!!!
RD look forward to seeing you guys in Denver.. Wanna hit 1 Up for Lunch?
JJ

Yeah sounds good JJ. When I get into Denver I'll pop into GEX and we can sort something out

rd.

#517 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would that be like a week from Friday?

Friday 30th May. We fly out the next day.

It'll be rockin!!

rd.

#518 9 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Things are right in Jay's world

Post edited by bangerjay: Meow

image-952.jpg 238 KB

Haha! Next time I come I won't drink so much before I play

It always helps when you can see the ball clearly.

Danni is still trying to talk me into putting "Gangnam Styles" on my Metallica ....

rd.

#519 9 years ago

We are leaving Route 66 now and starting the 400 mile drive up to Denver for a week of pinball events.

We stayed in Santa Fe last night, we will have a quick look around and then get on the road.

The weather is all over the show! It snowed a little on the car yesterday in ABQ.

When we entered the Steak Ranch in Amarillo at 8pm, it was 97 degrees.

When we came out at 930pm, it was 42 degrees. The wind was freezing. Weird!

It was mid 40s in ABQ yesterday.

rd.

#523 9 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

Hey Dave . We must've slipped ahead of you I think . We are staying in Colorado Springs ( Manitou region ) at the Eagle Motel . It's on the left as your driving from the I-25 to the Manitou area . We just got back from taking the cog train ride up to the very top of Pike's Peak . Awesome views but take plenty of warm clothes .
We might have to keep an eye out for you . The hearse should be easy to spot .

Passed you about 3 hours ago.

Just arrived in Longmont, 2 days ahead of schedule.

Today was the longest drive of the trip, Santa Fe to Longmont (north west of Denver) which was 430 miles (700km) of driving. Took almost 7 hours for the trip.

We thought we'd smash it out today so we can rest up for the pinball. All this driving makes you pretty tired!

rd.

#524 9 years ago

We had a quick whip around Santa Fe this morning before we left.

Route 66 ran through Santa Fe in the early days (1920s) before it was rerouted through ABQ.

Just up the road is Las Vegas. I thought this place was the MGM grand ... But no, it's not ....

image-783.jpgimage-783.jpg

Lots of historic buildings around the original train station. The original train station has been nicely restored, but nothing else has. Check out the massive old abandoned hotel which is right next door to the station. It would have done massive business back in its day.

image-719.jpgimage-719.jpg

image-88.jpgimage-88.jpg

#526 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi Dave, I presume you are the only one driving? I drove from Arizona across New Mexico into Texas in 1 trip. I was very tired after that one so I know how you feel.

Yep, I'm doing all the driving.

Fiona was going to drive the hearse after BangerJays party.

She got in, started it up and said "is this the brake?"

Move over champ, I'll drive ....

lol

rd.

#531 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Really enjoying this thread. Makes me want to try the same trip.
Is that an AMC service sign next to that abandoned hotel?

Yes it was, in mint condition. I got some pics of it on my big camera.

There was a long one above the garage door, about 8-10ft long x 2ft high.

Both verrrry cool. It would be worth going there at 3am and "borrowing them" permanently.

Imagine all the Pacers and Gremlins getting serviced there back in the 70s ...

rd.

#532 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

If you are in longmont. make the 30 min drive to Pinball Jones in Ft. Collins

We are playing there in a pre-IFPA comp on Tuesday night.

Thursday-Sat ... Lyons Classic
Sunday ... PAPA State champs
Monday night ... 1up in Denver (lodo)
Tuesday night .... Pinball jones
Weds night ... 1up in Denver (colfax)
Thursday night - Sunday ... IFPA finals.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar.php

It's a full on week of pinball!

rd.

#535 9 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

I swear, when you get back home and how all of your pictures to your friends, they'll swear the US is the most run-down country they've ever seen. By and large, most of the pictures are of dilapidated old buildings.

That's what I like to take pictures of.

Shiny new strip malls aren't of any interest to me, photography wise anyways.

I'm a property owner/developer, so the 1000s of empty and deserted buildings fascinate me. What's the backstory? Who owns this place? Whys it empty? Why don't they fix it up? All questions I ask ...

Most of the States is very nice, as everyone knows ... But there are a lot of areas that are in disrepair. I notice the President announced yesterday that they are putting more money into infrastructure upgrades which is great news.

If you do Route 66 ... Half the small towns are deserted and run down. It's just the way it is. It's people like Melba The Mouth up in Galina, Kansas who are doing the right thing and saving the heritage before it's all gone.

rd.

#536 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Isn't 1up the place where the bartender tried to kick a pinsiders ass for not tipping on every round? Place seems very rough around the edges. You guys play nice! If I am wrong someone please correct me as I am going from memory and might have gotten it mixed up.

Yes, I believe that is the case ... I will report back if I hear of any problems when I'm there.

rd.

#538 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Oh, well. See you tomorrow then!

Sounds good!

rd.

#541 9 years ago

Just to show everyone that the USA isn't all deserted hotels and condemned buildings ...

We are staying in Longmont, Colorado for the Lyons Pinball Classic which starts tonight.

Stunning new neighbourhood with all you'd ever need within walking distance.

Well, we walk, but judging by the lack of crosswalks I don't think anyone else does.

Sweet new Holiday Inn (so I can live in sin ... At the holiday Inn!)

image-694.jpgimage-694.jpg

Huge Kohls over the road which always has great bargains on quality goods!

image-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

rd.

#543 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Right on! I was just over at that Kohl's looking for a KME Gangsta Hoodie
Asked for you at the Best Western in Longmont... I said, "They're from New Zealand, they're driving a hearse, you can't miss 'em!"

I even did the Holiday Inn a big favor and parked the Hearse right out front!

image-770.jpgimage-770.jpg

#549 9 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

When I first read about your plan , for some reason , this popped into my head

image.jpg 9 KB

Once Were Warriors! That's some classic viewing right there.

"Cook the man some f**kin eggs!"

rd.

#550 9 years ago

Tonight we went out to Lyons Pinball to check it out and have a few games.

Met up with Chad who's a great guy and we played some of the pins.

Turns out they have a Thursday night comp on. Double elimination format.

So we all entered. Of course, I draw 3 games I've never played before. Kismet and 2001 which both had tiny flippers and Stern Galaxy .. At least that had big flippers! One win and two losses. Oh dear.

Kevin and Carole have done an awesome job at Lyons and are the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

// Error: Image 233984 not found //// Error: Image 233984 not found //

#551 9 years ago

Here's the future of pinball. Well, two of them anyway.

Danni took on Escher in Fish Tales. Danni came out on top this time by 10m.

image-857.jpgimage-857.jpg

#555 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Dave is Escher playing in IFPA 11?? If so is Danni still the youngest player ever to play?? Would be great to get them both on video playing... I have a feeling that it wont be your last time in the states for pinball... Pinburgh or PAPA next year?

No, he's not this year. But he won't be far away. He's really good. And really into it.

He has an amazing knowledge of the rules of every game. I was asking him how to play some of the games and he had all the answers!

rd.

#556 9 years ago

Some pics from last night at Lyons Classic Pinball.

Kevin and Carole ... The owners. Nice guys!

image-836.jpgimage-836.jpg

About 30 machines upstairs (I guess) and there are about 20 more downstairs in the basement especially for the weekend.

image-750.jpgimage-750.jpg

image-577.jpgimage-577.jpg

#562 9 years ago

Played at the Lyons Classic today. 100 plus players played Pingolf to qualify for match play tomorrow.

It was my first experience with Pingolf and it's a cool format. You have a goal to aim for and a set number of balls to get it. For example, 12m on Ironman with 4 balls, and "lock a ball" on Banzai Run in 3 balls.

I did pretty averagely. Got Banzai in 2 and Ironman in 3 and 50m on Fishtales in 2 but otherwise nothing good. Then I got disqualified on Kismet for plunging the wrong ball so that was an instant 6. Bummer.

Scott did best of the Aussie/kiwis with 33, Danni 36, me 37, Rob M 38, Rob D 43 (all from memory)

So I don't know if any of us will make the cut for tomorrow.

Regardless, it was a fun day of pinball played with a great bunch of people.

rd.

#563 9 years ago

Kevin wanted the Hearse parked right in front of Lyons Classic Pinball.

Maybe he wanted to scare the customers away? lol

Elvira made a guest appearance for the day.

image-838.jpgimage-838.jpg

#564 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Dave you should have played Cosmos some more, that has small flippers. They really do have a strange feel to them. Good to see some older games there.

You're right there. I just couldn't get into Cosmos at all.

You'd love Space Time ... What a cool game that is once you understand how it works.

rd.

#565 9 years ago

All the kiwis and Aussies headed out to Chillis for dinner and some margaritas tonight.

chadderack (Chad from Utah) came along to see if he could decipher what the Aussies where talking about.

A good night was had by all!

rd.

image-32.jpgimage-32.jpg

#567 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Stories of Aussie toilets overflowing and anacondas while stuffing our faces. It doesn't get better than that
Good luck in the tourney tomorrow Dave, Danni and Scott (the Aussie) as well! You guys should make the cut.

Ooooooooh I don't know about that ... But we shall see.

Rob Ds stories of fecal misadventure were riveting dinner time conversation lol

rd.

#571 9 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I will say I'm eager to read it, as the little I've seen looks like, as I would expect, a breath of fresh air, the kind of thing I'd like to see more of here on Pinside. So go home already!

You'll have to put up with me for another 2 weeks, then I'll gracefully retreat back into my kiwi batcave and leave you all to it

rd.

#572 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Stories of Aussie toilets overflowing and anacondas while stuffing our faces. It doesn't get better than that
Good luck in the tourney tomorrow Dave, Danni and Scott (the Aussie) as well! You guys should make the cut.

Scott's in. Danni made the playoff tiebreaker for the last place.

I just missed the cut ... Best of the rest. If I hadn't plunged the wrong ball I would have been in.

F**********kkkkkkkkkkkkk!! What a downer. Back to the bar.

lol

rd.

#581 9 years ago

Had a good day out at Lyons Classic Pinball.

Danni made the playoffs as she was first reserve and some guy didn't show up in time.

She went out in two though, as did Scott.

When I left Escher just knocked Bowen out of the comp! Both were on their last chance games.

It's all on in Lyons. The standard of pinball is astounding ... As you'd expect, cause most of the best players in the world are there.

rd.

#582 9 years ago

Danni getting some advice from Bowen before the tiebreaker on Kismet. Thanks for the words, Bowen.

image-978.jpgimage-978.jpg

#583 9 years ago

Danni was coming up strong on Kismet ... On the last ball, she got a house ball SDTM.

What do you think about that, Danni??

image-486.jpgimage-486.jpg

#584 9 years ago

We had a day off pinball today so we decided to go check out Boulder, Colorado.

What a cool town. Really nice.

Of course, being from NZ the only thing we knew about Boulder was that Mork and Mindy lived there.

So I stalked down Mindys house! As you do.

image-875.jpgimage-875.jpg

#585 9 years ago

When we were driving down the highway, I saw this sign.

I think this is possibly the best thing I've ever seen!!

I tried to talk Fiona into it, but she wasn't keen .... Too many people around for this sort of thing she reckoned ...

image-167.jpgimage-167.jpg

#586 9 years ago

We went to the 1up Lodo in Denver. About 15 machines and 20 video games there.

Make sure you take your ID or you won't be going in. Even if you look as old as me.

Quite a cool bar. We got there about 3pm, when we left at 5 there was 50 people there drinking and playing.

These pics were taken at 3 ...

image-205.jpgimage-205.jpg

image-809.jpgimage-809.jpg

#588 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I'm sure that Danni would not want to see that either......

She'd have to go hide in the back with the machines

rd.

#590 9 years ago
Quoted from spacies:

Yeah I really like Boulder too. Did you see the big bull made from chrome bumper bars in the main street? Man it is sweet.

No, can't say I did ... We didn't walk up the Main Street mall. No hearse parking nearby

Heaps of people around there too, at 12pm on a Sunday. Good to see a downtown area thriving.

rd.

#591 9 years ago

Downtown Denver is very cool too, what we saw of it today.

Lots of old buildings, restored and repurposed. Warehouses turned to retail and apartments, lots of bars and restaurants.

Lots of people around the city too. There was a big baseball game on at Coors Field as well.

image-721.jpgimage-721.jpg

image-829.jpgimage-829.jpg

#593 9 years ago

I'll be there next week, I'll check it out. Sure looks shiny!

rd.

#596 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Stalking in combination with driving a hearse around will most definitely turn some heads rd.
By the way, have you been getting some funny looks or curious looks from others while driving cross country and around towns?
Wonder what would happen if you bought and wore a scary monster/slasher type mask while driving around during daylight hrs??

Yes, lots of people like to look in the hearse when they're driving past ...

Lots of young guys give us the thumbs up or the occasional devils horns which is cool.

Old people walking on the sidewalk are funny ... They look at the hearse with fear in their eyes as if it's coming for them.

Fiona says inside the car "we'll be back for you later..."

rd.

#597 9 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Hey RD what'd ya think of the micro-brew beers they serve up in Lyons/Longmont at Oskar Blues?
I have about thirty lbs worth currently surrounding my midsection

Only had the chance to try a Dales Pale Ale from Oskar Blue yesterday. Quite strong! They have it on tap at 1up.

Strong beers and playing pinball ... Not a good idea. I need all the help I can get! lol

I had a really nice red/amber draft at Buffalo Wild Wings the other day but I don't know what that was.

rd.

#600 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

You and your family has some serious endurance, rotor. have you guys taken a break yet? I would be a zombie by now.

No, not really. We got to Longmont one day early so we got 1/2 a day off from driving.

Trying to take it easy this week as I can't play pinball when I'm tired. It just doesn't happen. The wheels fall off.

rd.

#601 9 years ago

Lucky I got a hearse .... Fiona has been to Toys R Us ...

image-305.jpgimage-305.jpg

Thumbs up to the probable Pinsider who passed us on the freeway in a Subaru wagon and waved out.

rd.

#604 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Stocking up on the latest little people play sets?

She collects soft toys. She's got like 300 soft toys (plushes) ... I have 100 pinball machines.

Seems like a fair deal.

Her toys take up a lot less room though!!

rd.

#605 9 years ago

Today is the first of the "pre tournaments" for IFPA. It's at 1up, lodo.

First round, Danielle draws Daniele ....

image-285.jpgimage-285.jpg

#607 9 years ago

65 top players showed up for the event. Format was double elimination Brakelope.

Unfortunately Scott, Rob McA and Danni were out in the second round.

I fueled up on Coke (the liquid kind!!) and had a good day of pinball.

First up ... I played Trent Augenstein (world number 11) on Mustang.

This was my 3rd ever game of Mustang ... I played it twice at Stern in Chicago.

I went down ... But not in a heap. The coke was making the flow return

image-160.jpgimage-160.jpg

#608 9 years ago

Next up was Jon Replongle (world #17) on CFTBL. Not my favorite game but this one played nice.

I was player one.

image-583.jpgimage-583.jpg

#609 9 years ago

Nice!!

Next up was Mike, a nice local guy. We played on LOTR. Game was tough!

I won on that one by 12m to 3m (from memory)

Next up, my old mate Stevey Zahler from New York (world #44) We played Family Guy.

I was player one again. What's with the coin toss around here?

image-834.jpgimage-834.jpg

#610 9 years ago

Next up, Takashi Ito from Japan. I played him last year in Germany and he's a very good player.

We played Metallica LE ... Again, I was player 1. WTF??

I got 24m on the 3rd ball ... He had 4m at the start of his 3rd ball and he slowly reeled me in by playing really good, safe pinball. Lots of orbits ... Not many points, but nice safe shots.

On his last shot, he shot the scoop to get the extra ball (2,500,000 in comps) and took the game.

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

So, 3 wins and 2 losses and I'm history. Top 24 though!

CocaCola made the flow come back! I must have had 10 of the things!

I was doing cartwheels across the bar I was so buzzed on sugar!! Lol

rd.

#613 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Late to the thread, but it was nice meeting you and your great family, Dave.

Likewise!! How did you two go today? Atticus go ok?

rd.

#615 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

I recently moved to Japan and met Ito-san at the last competition here in Tokyo: he's a super nice guy, did a bunch of translating for me, introducing me to the other players and so on.
That leaves me cheering for the ANZ crowd because I lived there for four years, and the Japanese too All of the Pacific Rim underdogs.
Good luck to you and him for the rest of the week!

Awesome man. Japan is the coolest place in the world. I've been there 5 times and I can't want to go back again.

I hope you enjoy your time up there!

rd.

#616 9 years ago

This is the level of competition on display here ....

Cryss Stephens (world 21) played Brian Shepherd (68) ... First ball, Cryss gets to Portal Multiball ... With no SOS. Straight to Portal. 228m first ball. Astounding.

image-271.jpgimage-271.jpg

I said to Brian ... "Mate, you're lucky to have got zero!" Hahaha. Brian is a cool dude.

I think it ended up at 290m vs 64m. Or something.

image-415.jpgimage-415.jpg

#618 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

Thanks for the thread it has been the best thread i have read on any forum..
passion for pinball ...and it is even better with the family ..really cool mate..

Cheers man

rd.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Not intending for this to sound mean, but that's a lot of talent (and a reasoanbly high profile?) tournament in a smaller venue than I would have guessed. I don't know that I want those scores coming to town ( ) but that gives me hope for my local 30 game location. If nothing else, sure would be fun to travel to play in one of those... and promptly get sent packing.

The IFPA World Champs #11 is at Game Exchange in Denver this Thurs-Sunday.

Hence why everyone is in Denver.

IFPA organizes a lot of warm up comps and last nights was one of those. There is another tonight up at Pinball Jones in Fort Collins.

rd.

#624 9 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Great thread RD!

It going to take some work but hope it will turn out nice.
1954 Henney Packard.
Post edited by Soapman: Its one of the guys at work

20140520_093357[1].jpg 139 KB

That's one cool hearse! I would have loved one like that ... But I don't know if it'd make it back to Los Angeles like that ...

rd.

#625 9 years ago

2,999 miles ....

image-48.jpgimage-48.jpg

3,000 ....

image-512.jpgimage-512.jpg

#626 9 years ago

Today's contest was at Pinball Jones in Fort Collins.

Good line up of machines, with some cool old amusement machines from the 70s in the attached basement.

Not all the machines played "as expected" though. That's me being politically correct.

I was out in two rounds. So was Rob McC. And Cryss Stephens. And lots of other guys who did well last night at 1UP.

I went down to Jorian Engelbrektsson (who is #5 and won Lyons) on South Park ... I had it lined up for the win, went to start Multiball and the ball rolled back down the ramp and STD fu****ing middle!! 24m to 18m. Doooohhhhh.

Then I lost to Frank C on Scared Stiff. I've never seen a ball back spin like it did on this game.

Danni won her first game on Tron 20m to 5m. Then she went down.

Denton won one game and then he was out.

When we left Scott M was still going, he lost the first game then won two after that.

rd.

#627 9 years ago

Oh yeah, this morning we went to Walmart.

They are nice enough to have mobility scooters for their customers.

I did a tour of the store in one.

image-392.jpgimage-392.jpg

#633 9 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Pretty sure if he stayed in the US a few more weeks he'll meet the first requirement

Yeah I'd definitely have to get a gym membership if I lived here.

Or a house with a kitchen so I could make some food instead of eating out 24/7

rd.

#634 9 years ago

Tonight we headed out to Kevin and Carole's place in Lyons. They own Lyons Classic Pinball.

As everyone who knows them knows, they're lovely guys.

Kevin is crazy on his hard rock music so we rigged up a Jam session.

I used to play guitar in bands (including the NZ KISS tribute band) but I haven't played for a while so I was a bit rusty.

Kevin plays bass and sings real good so we jammed out a few numbers. Some old KISS and some Thin Lizzy stuff I hadn't played since I was a teenager ...

image-914.jpgimage-914.jpg

image-122.jpgimage-122.jpg

image-322.jpgimage-322.jpg

#635 9 years ago

Danni played some pins ... Here she is on Big Bang Bar .. First time she'd seen one.

We got back to the hotel at 2.30am. Big day!

Cheers to Kevin and Carole for having us over. Appreciate it guys!

rd.

image-153.jpgimage-153.jpg

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I noticed the Check Air Suspension message on the dash. I hope it's not the dreaded GMC3/WABCO ECAS
(Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) electric air compressor going bad for you....

I put it over a pit last week. Everything underneath looks ok. Compressor runs ok.

Probably a bag gone. But if I keep it I will either replace it with a spring kit or put in hydraulics and make it bounce up and down

rd.

#643 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Lol Dave had a good laugh at the Walmart pic.. Heck I am going to run that when I get over there next time. Oh btw, if Pincade is going to be March 5,6,7,8 and PAPA is 11,12,13,14,15 you think you might be in on that???? PAPA worlds is swapping places with Pinburgh which will be in August. Thinking of getting a group together and flying from NZ on the monday to the states....

Sounds like a good trip. IFPA is in London next year so we will have to see what dates that is and work it out from there. I can only afford/justify one big trip a year

rd.

#647 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

So how many of you overseas guys will be visiting Dave and his hearse in New Zealand in March 2015 for pincade?

The invitations have been put out there ... I'm pretty sure Franck Bona and Ad Jonker are coming down.

Hopefully we get a few more guys come down!!

rd.

#648 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

LOL
We parked right next to the hearse at a hotel one night thinking: man that car is awesome. That was before we had met RD and his family, so we had no idea whose it was.
Now our families have met and it was a pleasure

Likewise mate

rd.

#649 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Yeah I am thinking about London as well...

I'll see if I can get some dates confirmed.

rd.

#651 9 years ago

Today's comp was held at 1up in Colfax Ave.

Again, killer tough comps. Jorgan Holm was out in the first round.

Danielle got a win up on POTC and then had two losses.

Scotty had two losses.

Rob McCauly has been on fire with 3 wins in a row, his best outing so far. He had a real nice game on LOTR vs an Italian chap.

I won first up on Monster Bash against Peter Frank ... 35m vs 8m.

Then a loss on the vicious POTC against Michael Trepp from Switzerland. He was the only guy I saw all day get over 10m. It was very hard to get he ball up the left ramp ... Miss, and it came back fast SDTM. He got Multiball going and got 30m. I got 5. (((((

Then I went down to local hotshot Kevin Ryan on Stern Playboy by a few hundred. Dooooohhhh.

So off we went to Grimaldis for pizza and beer instead. Lol

rd.

#652 9 years ago

Here is the "small" pizza at Grimaldis ....

No wonder Brian Shepherd was pissed off with the size of kiwi pizzas when he came down! Haha!

image-776.jpgimage-776.jpg

#654 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Hope you and your family are escaping the bad weather rolling thru Colorado?
Hopefully the Hearst did not get any Hail damage.
cheers
and safe driving the rest of your journey
Tom

Yeah it pisssssssed down with rain and hail today when we were walking across the city to Colfax (40 minute walk...)

We had to hide in a Subway ... So we had some lunch

Then the Tornado sirens went off ... And a message came up on my cellphone "Take cover Tornado Warning!"

The hail was a good size too. The sirens went for about an hour then it all cleared up.

rd.

#657 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

great updates, really enjoying.
I got an email today at work and this photo gave me a little laugh as it was titled having a bad day and this was one of many, but then I instantly thought of you and your hearse and how you wouldn't want a pin to fly out the back window of the hearse …..

Mail Attachment23.jpeg 21 KB

I was more worried about them coming through the front window ...

They're hard up against the back of the front seats. If I have to stop fast, they creep forward a little and move the seat lol

Normally I'd have the front beir pins in and they wouldn't move at all. But I maximized the room but not using the pins up the front.

rd.

#661 9 years ago
Quoted from Roscoe:

This made me laugh Dave, for some reason it reminded me of Penrith train station in the UK. Best of luck to you and Danni in the comp this weekend.

image.jpg 37 KB

Man that sign is 100% win!!

rd.

#662 9 years ago

So, we went down to Game Exchange where the IFPA11 World Champs are being held tomorrow.

I met JJ ... Cool dude. We couldn't get a picture because there was a tornado up the road and the sirens were going off again. More heavy rain. All blew over in 30 mins though.

This is a real good setup for the IFPA comp tomorrow. Plenty of good machines, and plenty of room. Nice!

The Epstein Cup is about to start. This is the top 8 players from USA vs the top 8 Euro players. No room for us foreigner dudes lol

image-940.jpgimage-940.jpg

10 points for naming the pinball legends checking out the EM ...

image-187.jpgimage-187.jpg

image-39.jpgimage-39.jpg

#663 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One week left Dave. If you make it this far, we're going here.

El Farolito.jpg 32 KB

Unless the hearse implodes, we will be there Thursday night as per plan. What a winner!!

rd.

#664 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

You've been 2Stepped!

Man, if only I had some funky glasses on like you did, I wouldn't have been blinded by the glare!!

Post a picture of you with the helmet/glasses combo on! I didn't get one ...

rd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
Trade
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 18.95
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 70.00
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 49.99
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

408 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rotordave. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotordaves-route-66-odessy-is-underway?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.