(Topic ID: 89456)

RotorDaves Route 66 odyssey is underway ....

By rotordave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,057 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
JFgrin.jpeg
image-918.jpg
image.jpg
image-258.jpg
image-677.jpg
image-829.jpg
image-441.jpg
image-141.jpg
image-527.jpg
RD trailer.jpg
Psssst....jpeg
Downwind.jpg
207575-v2.jpg
modelo-218.jpg
th-87.jpeg
There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.
#851 9 years ago

No Danni, don't beat all Odins high scores!

image-475.jpgimage-475.jpg

#852 9 years ago

"Vinnie Vincent? That's not Vinnie Vincent! Sure looks like him though!!"

Hahahaha

image-91.jpgimage-91.jpg

#853 9 years ago

Oh dear! Odins neighbours are complaining about the noise

Whaaaaaat! It's only 1.15an! Man up!

Time to wind down the metal!

rd.

#854 9 years ago

That's a lot of empties!

image-488.jpgimage-488.jpg

#855 9 years ago

I'de like to thank Rotordave, Fiona, Danni, Nimblepin, Joy, RobT, Tony,and Shazia for stopping by tonite. It sure was fun.

#856 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'de like to thank Rotordave, Fiona, Danni, Nimblepin, Joy, RobT, Tony,and Shazia for stopping by tonite. It sure was fun.

Indeed it was! Thanks for having us. Bring on Knotts Berry Farm!

rd.

#857 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Bring on Knotts Berry Farm!

Dude, it's 3 AM right now. I think Knotts is a direct possibility. Call me in the morning,

#858 9 years ago

Cool, a German Fireball going to New Zeeland...

#859 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oh dear! Old mate Nimblepin walked through the screen door. Chaos ensured!!
Ohhhhh actually it was me! Sorry Odin!
RobT physically pissed in his pants he was laughing so hard!!
The screen door is made of INVISISCREEN.
Jezzzzzzzus!!! Lucky Odin is a mechanical genius!
Can he fix it? Yes he can!

image-74.jpg 95 KB
image-465.jpg 103 KB
image-363.jpg 113 KB

Thank a God for no flash on the camera and to underwear!!!

#860 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oh dear! Old mate Nimblepin walked through the screen door. Chaos ensured!!

Ohhhhh actually it was me! Sorry Odin!

RobT physically pissed in his pants he was laughing so hard!!

The screen door is made of INVISISCREEN.

Jezzzzzzzus!!! Lucky Odin is a mechanical genius!

Can he fix it? Yes he can!

It's been a long LONG time since I laughed so hard! Tears rolling down my eyes, and stomach hurting from laughing so hard. Good times!

Quoted from o-din:

Thanks for having us! My wife says thanks for the Green Gold too.

#861 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Play some air guitar Odin!!

How could I not? Sometimes the perfect song seems to come on at just the right time!

#862 9 years ago

Another beautiful Saturday morning here in Fullerton. Did someone say Knotts Berry Farm?
DSCN2712.JPGDSCN2712.JPG

#863 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Another beautiful Saturday morning here in Fullerton. Did someone say Knotts Berry Farm?

Yeah man! You want us to come pick you up in an hour (ish) ?

Probably around 11 or so. We are just packing everything up now.

rd.

#864 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah man! You want us to come pick you up in an hour (ish) ?

Let's do it! I'll be ready.
Ghostrider1.jpgGhostrider1.jpg

#865 9 years ago

It makes me happy seeing a Big Hurt in that gameroom O-din!

#866 9 years ago

Ghostrider is a great wooden coaster ...

image-577.jpgimage-577.jpg

#867 9 years ago

Omg, I lived at KBF in the 70's, and THAT coaster was NOT there! That thing is sweet. Is it as big as the one at great America up north? It looks like more big drops.

#868 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Omg, I lived at KBF in the 70's, and THAT coaster was NOT there! That thing is sweet. Is it as big as the one at great America up north? It looks like more big drops.

Knotts has completely changed in the 30 years since I first came here. That would have been 1982 I think.

Odin has been coming here since the 60s. He remembers when there were berries here lol

rd.

#869 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

"Vinnie Vincent? That's not Vinnie Vincent! Sure looks like him though!!"
Hahahaha

image-91.jpg 205 KB

Sure does look like VV, maybe this explains where he has been since he's been "lost" for some time now.

VV Invasion - one of the best metal albums from the 80's.

#870 9 years ago

Omg, I lived at KBF in the 70's, and THAT coaster was NOT there!

And neither is the Corksrew anymore. They took it out in the early 90s. But they have added several great coasters since then including the Silver Bullet.

We finished up our day at Knott's and after having dinner at Portillos, we dropped Dave, Fiona, and Danni off at their car, and now they are on their way to the airport. This has been one of the best weekends I can remember, and I now feel like I have not just made some new friends, but like part of the family. And a great family they are!

Thank's guys (and gals), see you next time around!

#871 9 years ago

Thanks again RD (+family) for letting Pinside live vicariously through you in your epic journey across America!
Glad we could clog your arteries one last time at Portillo's too! (I'm sure the people next to you on your loooooonnng flight will love you as well! ) I hope we provided some "Centerflank-esque" hospitality to make your stay here in the OC a little bit more memorable. O-Din's screen won't miss you a bit but, the rest of us that got to share in the fun will definitely be sad to see you go!
I've already started saving my pennies to be one of the first Americans to attend the LOTR RD Pinstravaganza tour next year! Fingers crossed my ramen stockpile will hold past winter.
Kiss the girls for me and as always, godspeed Rotordave!!!

I'll finish my last Trooper in your honour!

Also,
Keep sharpening up those flipper skills Danni; I'm sure we'll see you on PAPATV in no time!
(You are a worthy foe! )

#872 9 years ago

Danni and "uncle Odin" on the Supreme Scream thing that takes you 100s of feet in the air them drops you to your doom below.

image-231.jpgimage-231.jpg

#873 9 years ago

Odin, Danni and Fiona after a ride on the Silver Bullet coaster. It's a real nice coaster, good speed, long track and very smooth. Nice.

image-538.jpgimage-538.jpg

#874 9 years ago

Appropriate photo as the sun sets on the RD Route 66 journey.

image-653.jpgimage-653.jpg
#875 9 years ago

Thanks to Uncle Odin, NimblePin the door destroyer (cough...) and RobT for the last few days in the OC.

Good times in the OC for sure.

Thanks to Crazy Centreflank, BangerJay, Whysnow, Terry and all the Chicago/Wisconsin crew for showing us such a good time up there.

Also Barron and Jim Zespy from Logan Hardware for being really cool dudes and showing us a good time. Awesome setup you've got there.

Thanks to Gary Stern and Jody from Stern for showing us around the Stern factory. Good luck with the move.

Thanks to Tim and Kristen Mezelmods for opening your home to us and showing us a great night in ABQ (I still can't spell it ...)

Kevin and Carol from Lyons for having the most awesome collection of pins and sharing my love of great rock music. You guys are awesome.

All the Denver dudes ... JJ, Kevin, Zen, Adam and Escher, Spud ... Thanks for sharing the love of pinball.

Everyone who was at the IFPA .. From Europe, Aussie and the US. Thanks for thrashing me in the pinball and more importantly, being so kind and generous to Danni. To the Sharps and the Brians, you all do an awesome job with the IFPA and it's appreciated by all.

Of course, I've left out heaps of people ... Thanks to everyone who we've met over the last 5 1/2 weeks as we crossed the country.

And of course, all the Pinsiders for reading the thread and posting suggestions and tips. We had some many invitations to visit people, we just couldn't fit everything in. Maybe next time!

Awesome!

rd.

#876 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Odin has been coming here since the 60s. He remembers when there were berries here lol

rd.

Yeah buddy!
As I told you, I haven't been in a few years since my daughter lost interest, but today was great fun! I've got lots of great memories of Knotts going back to my childhood, and this also becomes one of them. I couldn't help but feel as the day went on, that you are never too old for this kind of fun, and in some ways it makes you feel like a kid all over again.

#877 9 years ago

It was great meeting you and your family Rotordave! I'm glad that I was able to participate at least in a small way in one of the most epic threads on Pinside in a long time.

It might take awhile for me to get that image of you crashing through Odin's screen door (and without missing a beat, immediately blaming Nimblepin for it) out of my head. That was pure comedy gold!

#878 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It was great meeting you and your family Rotordave! I'm glad that I was able to participate at least in a small way in one of the most epic threads on Pinside in a long time.It might take awhile for me to get that image of you crashing through Odin's screen door (and without missing a beat, immediately blaming Nimblepin for it) out of my head. That was pure comedy gold!

That Nimblepin. He sure is a clumsy bastard! Crashing down the door like that.

He hadn't even had that much to drink!

rd.

#879 9 years ago

There! Fixed it for you!
DSCN2713.JPGDSCN2713.JPG

#880 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There! Fixed it for you! DSCN2713.JPG 74 KB

Lucky you're a mechanical legend Odin!!

Now, get back to watering those avocados!

rd.

#881 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Now, get back to watering those avocados!

Yeah, unfortunately now that you guys are gone, tomorrow will be just another day.

#882 9 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Thanks again RD (+family) for letting Pinside live vicariously through you in your epic journey across America!Glad we could clog your arteries one last time at Portillo's too!

Yeah man. When I get back to NZ I'm eating nothing but fruit for a week.

That should clean out my system!!

Sitting on the Fiji Airways Airbus 330-200 now at LAX ... Time to power off the iPhone and buckle in for a thrilling (cough ...) 12 hour trip back to Auckland.

Catch you on the other side!

rd.

#883 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Here's the famous Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. It's a swimming hole.

It really is quite blue. It's 80ft deep.

It is actually WAAAYY deeper than that. Deeper than a human can dive. They blocked off the entrance to the cavern at about 90 feet. That is the best place to learn to SCUBA in the Rockies. Certainly beats a pool or a murky lake.

Well, I guess I should have checked this thread out earlier. lol
I am glad you had a great time in the Wild Wild West.

#884 9 years ago

Epic thread! I can only hope to have such a family vacation someday, meeting fellow pinheads along the route!

#885 9 years ago

Thanks for letting us all share and be part of your adventure!

Safe travels home and hope to see you on the flip side someday.

#886 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah buddy!
As I told you, I haven't been in a few years since my daughter lost interest, but today was great fun! I've got lots of great memories of Knotts going back to my childhood, and this also becomes one of them. I couldn't help but feel as the day went on, that you are never too old for this kind of fun, and in some ways it makes you feel like a kid all over again.

Can you still pan for gold, lol? Knotts was so chill back in the day. I remember when the corkscrew opened! And now it's gone. It was never as exciting as the revolution at Magic Mountain, but it was good enough at the time.

Safe travels RD! You've joined Lewis and Clark and Jack Kerouac in the annals of American exploration! Well done!

#887 9 years ago

havent been to knotts since the early 80s. would love to go back and revisit.

#888 9 years ago

How is the hearse holding up? Such a sweet pinball mover...great seeing you at Banger Jays previously.

#889 9 years ago

Great RL-story to follow, with great pic's and in most of them .... proudly the Hearse Guy!

Thanks for tagging us along.

#890 9 years ago

Happy to be a part of this epic journey

#891 9 years ago

Will be doing a somewhat similar drive in a few weeks with BallyKid; Detroit to Reno to Seattle to San Francisco taking the PCH down to Los Angeles to San Diego where we'll stay for a bit with family. A quick trip to Disneyland (Did California Adventure a few years back) then to Vegas for a day then through Glenwood Canyon & I-70 in Colorado so he can experiece I-70 mountain travel and the Eisenhower Tunnel. Then will see more family in Oklahoma City but that depends on time. Main pinball purpose is to give Minnesota's pinfixer who now resides in SoCal an unobtainium backglass that I promised him I would somehow get eight+ years ago. I will deliver by hand so only I can be blamed for breaking it. May stop at Bally Brian's on the home stretch of the trip as well. And you never know if Sam Harvey might be home so we could drop in on him. The Seattle leg of the trip is subject to cancellation depending on trip start date but we're still talking one helluva drive.

BallyKid, being a motorhead is looking forward to it as well. I did a similar trip with my late dad in '89.

#892 9 years ago

Can you still pan for gold, lol? Knotts was so chill back in the day. I remember when the corkscrew opened! And now it's gone. It was never as exciting as the revolution at Magic Mountain, but it was good enough at the tim

Yep, pan for gold is still there, although they moved it to make room for Ghostrider.

I, like you spent a lot of time at Knotts during the 70s when I was a young teen. When they first opened the Roaring 20s area, there was no better place to spend a summer evening. But long gone are the Corkscrew, the Motorcycle Chase, the Loop Trainer, and the Parachute Jump (although the tower is still there). Jungle Island is also long gone, and now there is a water park over there.

But progress marches on, and although some of the charm and great attractions from our youth are now distant memories, they have tried to upgrade the place with some serious thrill rides, and I think they have done a real good job.

#893 9 years ago

Great reading!
Now waiting for the epilogue: getting the Hearse back from suspicious custom officers !

#894 9 years ago

Thanks Dave , Fiona, and Danni for a great thread and a fun visit. You are welcome to come jam and play pinball any time you are in the area(country). Loved odin's Angel concert add, one of my fave somewhat unknown early hard rock bands. Thanks Danni for showing me how to play some of my games properly .
Take care guys,
Kevin , Carole, and Roxy

#895 9 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Loved odin's Angel concert add, one of my fave somewhat unknown early hard rock bands

I actually went to both of those shows on the flyer. I brought it out because I knew rd was a big Dio fan, and we had talked about that Rainbow show in the past. Angel was great and Helluva Band was one of my favorite albums at the time, but on that evening it was The Godz that stole the show.

#896 9 years ago

Here is another flyer that I brought out from my early days as a concert promotor.
I don't know how it got all spotty.
DSCN2715.JPGDSCN2715.JPG

#897 9 years ago

Very Nice!

#898 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here is another flyer that I brought out from my early days as a concert promotor.
I don't know how it got all spotty.

DSCN2715.JPG 111 KB

Did you ever hit any of the house parties in The Anaheim Hills that Van Halen played before they hit the big time? I can only imagine!

#899 9 years ago

Did you ever hit any of the house parties in The Anaheim Hills that Van Halen played before they hit the big time? I can only imagine!

No, but they did play at our high school. I remember a lot of great parties out in Yorba Linda and New Years eves out in Carbon Canyon.

The story behind that Social D. flyer is that I was working at Carls Liquor at the time, and one of the older guys that I worked with was looking for a band for his daughters birthday party, and Mike Ness had told me they had just formed a band and needed somewhere to play. So I hooked them up, and we had one raging party right here in Fullerton.

SD actually did Van Halen covers when they started out, but on that night they introduced us to a new song called Amoeba. One that the Adolescents would end up turning into sort of a hit later on.

#900 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Angel was great and Helluva Band

Yep. I think that Angel was on Casablanca Records with KISS. Not sure but the two bands had some connection. Was it Gene Simmons or the manager for KISS at that time, roughly 1975?? Because of Angel was being used, that other band from Aus. had to alter their name to Angel City. Thats some trivia, for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 70.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 49.99
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotordaves-route-66-odessy-is-underway/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.