(Topic ID: 89456)

RotorDaves Route 66 odyssey is underway ....

By rotordave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,057 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
JFgrin.jpeg
image-918.jpg
image.jpg
image-258.jpg
image-677.jpg
image-829.jpg
image-441.jpg
image-141.jpg
image-527.jpg
RD trailer.jpg
Psssst....jpeg
Downwind.jpg
207575-v2.jpg
modelo-218.jpg
th-87.jpeg
There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 22.
#601 9 years ago

Lucky I got a hearse .... Fiona has been to Toys R Us ...

image-305.jpgimage-305.jpg

Thumbs up to the probable Pinsider who passed us on the freeway in a Subaru wagon and waved out.

rd.

#602 9 years ago

And the adventure continues..........

#603 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Lucky I got a hearse .... Fiona has been to Toys R Us

Stocking up on the latest little people play sets?

#604 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Stocking up on the latest little people play sets?

She collects soft toys. She's got like 300 soft toys (plushes) ... I have 100 pinball machines.

Seems like a fair deal.

Her toys take up a lot less room though!!

rd.

#605 9 years ago

Today is the first of the "pre tournaments" for IFPA. It's at 1up, lodo.

First round, Danielle draws Daniele ....

image-285.jpgimage-285.jpg

#606 9 years ago

Yeah, rotordave, if you're heading out to the West Coast, you'll probably pass through Utah on I-15. Feel free to stop in for some hospitality and pinball. I live only 2-3 minutes off of a freeway exit that you may pass by, depending on your route.

#607 9 years ago

65 top players showed up for the event. Format was double elimination Brakelope.

Unfortunately Scott, Rob McA and Danni were out in the second round.

I fueled up on Coke (the liquid kind!!) and had a good day of pinball.

First up ... I played Trent Augenstein (world number 11) on Mustang.

This was my 3rd ever game of Mustang ... I played it twice at Stern in Chicago.

I went down ... But not in a heap. The coke was making the flow return

image-160.jpgimage-160.jpg

#608 9 years ago

Next up was Jon Replongle (world #17) on CFTBL. Not my favorite game but this one played nice.

I was player one.

image-583.jpgimage-583.jpg

#609 9 years ago

Nice!!

Next up was Mike, a nice local guy. We played on LOTR. Game was tough!

I won on that one by 12m to 3m (from memory)

Next up, my old mate Stevey Zahler from New York (world #44) We played Family Guy.

I was player one again. What's with the coin toss around here?

image-834.jpgimage-834.jpg

#610 9 years ago

Next up, Takashi Ito from Japan. I played him last year in Germany and he's a very good player.

We played Metallica LE ... Again, I was player 1. WTF??

I got 24m on the 3rd ball ... He had 4m at the start of his 3rd ball and he slowly reeled me in by playing really good, safe pinball. Lots of orbits ... Not many points, but nice safe shots.

On his last shot, he shot the scoop to get the extra ball (2,500,000 in comps) and took the game.

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

So, 3 wins and 2 losses and I'm history. Top 24 though!

CocaCola made the flow come back! I must have had 10 of the things!

I was doing cartwheels across the bar I was so buzzed on sugar!! Lol

rd.

#611 9 years ago

I recently moved to Japan and met Ito-san at the last competition here in Tokyo: he's a super nice guy, did a bunch of translating for me, introducing me to the other players and so on.

That leaves me cheering for the ANZ crowd because I lived there for four years, and the Japanese too All of the Pacific Rim underdogs.

Good luck to you and him for the rest of the week!

#612 9 years ago

Late to the thread, but it was nice meeting you and your great family, Dave.

#613 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Likewise!! How did you two go today? Atticus go ok?

rd.

#614 9 years ago

Your thread is an inspiration, I hope one day I get to make an epic road trip like that! Thanks for great reading

#615 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

I recently moved to Japan and met Ito-san at the last competition here in Tokyo: he's a super nice guy, did a bunch of translating for me, introducing me to the other players and so on.
That leaves me cheering for the ANZ crowd because I lived there for four years, and the Japanese too All of the Pacific Rim underdogs.
Good luck to you and him for the rest of the week!

Awesome man. Japan is the coolest place in the world. I've been there 5 times and I can't want to go back again.

I hope you enjoy your time up there!

rd.

#616 9 years ago

This is the level of competition on display here ....

Cryss Stephens (world 21) played Brian Shepherd (68) ... First ball, Cryss gets to Portal Multiball ... With no SOS. Straight to Portal. 228m first ball. Astounding.

image-271.jpgimage-271.jpg

I said to Brian ... "Mate, you're lucky to have got zero!" Hahaha. Brian is a cool dude.

I think it ended up at 290m vs 64m. Or something.

image-415.jpgimage-415.jpg

#617 9 years ago

Thanks for the thread it has been the best thread i have read on any forum..

passion for pinball ...and it is even better with the family ..really cool mate..

#618 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

Thanks for the thread it has been the best thread i have read on any forum..
passion for pinball ...and it is even better with the family ..really cool mate..

Cheers man

rd.

#619 9 years ago

Not intending for this to sound mean, but that's a lot of talent (and a reasoanbly high profile?) tournament in a smaller venue than I would have guessed. I don't know that I want those scores coming to town ( ) but that gives me hope for my local 30 game location. If nothing else, sure would be fun to travel to play in one of those... and promptly get sent packing.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Not intending for this to sound mean, but that's a lot of talent (and a reasoanbly high profile?) tournament in a smaller venue than I would have guessed. I don't know that I want those scores coming to town ( ) but that gives me hope for my local 30 game location. If nothing else, sure would be fun to travel to play in one of those... and promptly get sent packing.

The IFPA World Champs #11 is at Game Exchange in Denver this Thurs-Sunday.

Hence why everyone is in Denver.

IFPA organizes a lot of warm up comps and last nights was one of those. There is another tonight up at Pinball Jones in Fort Collins.

rd.

#621 9 years ago

So, Pinballcorpse met up with RotorDave and his hearse. Things that make you go hmmmm....

Excellent thread by the way. Making me think about planning such a trip.

#622 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The IFPA World Champs #11 is at Game Exchange in Denver this Thurs-Sunday.
Hence why everyone is in Denver.
IFPA organizes a lot of warm up comps and last nights was one of those. There is another tonight up at Pinball Jones in Fort Collins.
rd.

That makes sense. I think I have seen the poster for that one on their site. I got into competing in the last 6 months, so still learning all of the major events and how the scoring works.

#623 9 years ago

Great thread RD!

20140520_093357[1].jpg20140520_093357[1].jpg

It going to take some work but hope it will turn out nice.
1954 Henney Packard.

Post edited by Soapman: Its one of the guys at work

#624 9 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Great thread RD!

It going to take some work but hope it will turn out nice.
1954 Henney Packard.
Post edited by Soapman: Its one of the guys at work

20140520_093357[1].jpg 139 KB

That's one cool hearse! I would have loved one like that ... But I don't know if it'd make it back to Los Angeles like that ...

rd.

#625 9 years ago

2,999 miles ....

image-48.jpgimage-48.jpg

3,000 ....

image-512.jpgimage-512.jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#626 9 years ago

Today's contest was at Pinball Jones in Fort Collins.

Good line up of machines, with some cool old amusement machines from the 70s in the attached basement.

Not all the machines played "as expected" though. That's me being politically correct.

I was out in two rounds. So was Rob McC. And Cryss Stephens. And lots of other guys who did well last night at 1UP.

I went down to Jorian Engelbrektsson (who is #5 and won Lyons) on South Park ... I had it lined up for the win, went to start Multiball and the ball rolled back down the ramp and STD fu****ing middle!! 24m to 18m. Doooohhhhh.

Then I lost to Frank C on Scared Stiff. I've never seen a ball back spin like it did on this game.

Danni won her first game on Tron 20m to 5m. Then she went down.

Denton won one game and then he was out.

When we left Scott M was still going, he lost the first game then won two after that.

rd.

#627 9 years ago

Oh yeah, this morning we went to Walmart.

They are nice enough to have mobility scooters for their customers.

I did a tour of the store in one.

image-392.jpgimage-392.jpg

#628 9 years ago

^^ And you know they're not for the elderly.

Loving this thread RD. Keep up the good work!

#629 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oh yeah, this morning we went to Walmart.
They are nice enough to have mobility scooters for their customers.
I did a tour of the store in one.

Funny pic rd, but aren't you supposed to be 150+ lbs heavier or disabled for riding around in one of those.

#630 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Funny pic rd, but aren't you supposed to be 150+ lbs heavier or disabled for riding around in one of those.

Pretty sure if he stayed in the US a few more weeks he'll meet the first requirement

#631 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

2,999 miles ....

3,000 ....

image-48.jpg 91 KB

image-512.jpg 104 KB

Well, your gauge plastics are cleaner than my BSD ramps

#632 9 years ago

Glad to meet up with the Pecks again today at Fort Collins . Was good to see Danni get a win up . Save all those good games for the weekend Danni . I was happy with my result and ending up getting through quite a few rounds before being defeated on CFTBL by Mats Runsten . Think I ended up somewhere in the top 24 or so .

Hey Dave we actually ran into some people outside PBJ as we were leaving that were from NZ . Well it was a married couple and he was NZ , she was American . We told them to keep an eye out for a hearse getting around and give you guys a wave if they see you ..... just hope they don't come across a hearse on funeral duty .

See you guys tomorrow .

#633 9 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Pretty sure if he stayed in the US a few more weeks he'll meet the first requirement

Yeah I'd definitely have to get a gym membership if I lived here.

Or a house with a kitchen so I could make some food instead of eating out 24/7

rd.

#634 9 years ago

Tonight we headed out to Kevin and Carole's place in Lyons. They own Lyons Classic Pinball.

As everyone who knows them knows, they're lovely guys.

Kevin is crazy on his hard rock music so we rigged up a Jam session.

I used to play guitar in bands (including the NZ KISS tribute band) but I haven't played for a while so I was a bit rusty.

Kevin plays bass and sings real good so we jammed out a few numbers. Some old KISS and some Thin Lizzy stuff I hadn't played since I was a teenager ...

image-914.jpgimage-914.jpg

image-122.jpgimage-122.jpg

image-322.jpgimage-322.jpg

#635 9 years ago

Danni played some pins ... Here she is on Big Bang Bar .. First time she'd seen one.

We got back to the hotel at 2.30am. Big day!

Cheers to Kevin and Carole for having us over. Appreciate it guys!

rd.

image-153.jpgimage-153.jpg

#636 9 years ago

Rock On!! Very cool.

What's that pin the background, i Can't quite make it out?
Does Kevin have a lot of pins at home, or are they all at Lyon's Classic?

Love the thread, always wanted to do a Route 66 trip. one of these years...

#637 9 years ago

Lol Dave had a good laugh at the Walmart pic.. Heck I am going to run that when I get over there next time. Oh btw, if Pincade is going to be March 5,6,7,8 and PAPA is 11,12,13,14,15 you think you might be in on that???? PAPA worlds is swapping places with Pinburgh which will be in August. Thinking of getting a group together and flying from NZ on the monday to the states....

#638 9 years ago

Awesome trip you are doing Dave
Wishin I coulda made it over with you guys. Looks like a great time.

Go the hearse .... wanted one years ago but thought better of it.

Good luck on the weekend ..... Go Dan

#639 9 years ago

I worked in the auto field years ago and I did some work on a hearse and than delivered it back to the parlor. It felt a little creepy to me. I figured I would be riding in one soon enough I did not need to be driving one. Sounds like you are having the trip of a lifetime have fun. Great post.

#640 9 years ago

Lyons is awesome and Kevin is SUPER nice! I look forward to me next trip.

All this CO play has me feeling sorry for any locals looking for a shot at state SCS. All these top players competing at huge comps in the state is gonna make it rough to even figure out how deep the SCS will go this year.

#641 9 years ago

I noticed the Check Air Suspension message on the dash. I hope it's not the dreaded GMC3/WABCO ECAS
(Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) electric air compressor going bad for you....

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I noticed the Check Air Suspension message on the dash. I hope it's not the dreaded GMC3/WABCO ECAS
(Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) electric air compressor going bad for you....

I put it over a pit last week. Everything underneath looks ok. Compressor runs ok.

Probably a bag gone. But if I keep it I will either replace it with a spring kit or put in hydraulics and make it bounce up and down

rd.

#643 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Lol Dave had a good laugh at the Walmart pic.. Heck I am going to run that when I get over there next time. Oh btw, if Pincade is going to be March 5,6,7,8 and PAPA is 11,12,13,14,15 you think you might be in on that???? PAPA worlds is swapping places with Pinburgh which will be in August. Thinking of getting a group together and flying from NZ on the monday to the states....

Sounds like a good trip. IFPA is in London next year so we will have to see what dates that is and work it out from there. I can only afford/justify one big trip a year

rd.

#644 9 years ago

Yeah I am thinking about London as well...

#645 9 years ago
Quoted from lost8ball:

So, Pinballcorpse met up with RotorDave and his hearse. Things that make you go hmmmm....
Excellent thread by the way. Making me think about planning such a trip.

LOL

We parked right next to the hearse at a hotel one night thinking: man that car is awesome. That was before we had met RD and his family, so we had no idea whose it was.

Now our families have met and it was a pleasure.

Funny how things work out like that.

#646 9 years ago

So how many of you overseas guys will be visiting Dave and his hearse in New Zealand in March 2015 for pincade?

#647 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

So how many of you overseas guys will be visiting Dave and his hearse in New Zealand in March 2015 for pincade?

The invitations have been put out there ... I'm pretty sure Franck Bona and Ad Jonker are coming down.

Hopefully we get a few more guys come down!!

rd.

#648 9 years ago

LOL
We parked right next to the hearse at a hotel one night thinking: man that car is awesome. That was before we had met RD and his family, so we had no idea whose it was.
Now our families have met and it was a pleasure

Likewise mate

rd.

#649 9 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Yeah I am thinking about London as well...

I'll see if I can get some dates confirmed.

rd.

#650 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lyons is awesome and Kevin is SUPER nice! I look forward to me next trip.
Agreed! Lyons Rules!
All this CO play has me feeling sorry for any locals looking for a shot at state SCS. All these top players competing at huge comps in the state is gonna make it rough to even figure out how deep the SCS will go this year.

I doubt any of the top players will choose to fly back to CO for the SCS, and only a few of the big point winners would earn enough to anyway. Also, some of the players winning (Jorian, Robert) are residents of other countries, I doubt they could, or would, play the SCS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
$ 49.99
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 70.00
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotordaves-route-66-odessy-is-underway/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.