New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 58880)

RotorDave moves house ..... and many pins follow

By rotordave

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    First_Pin_Meet_(5).JPG
    First_Pin_Meet.JPG
    First_Pin_Meet_(3).JPG
    First_Pin_Meet_(7).JPG
    First_Pin_Meet_(6).JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    games_room_(8)S.jpg
    games_room_(5)S.jpg
    games_room_(7)s.jpg
    games_room_(6)S.jpg
    games_room_(4)S.jpg
    games_room_(1)S.jpg
    Sterns.JPG

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 7 years ago

I've been posting a few pics of my gamesroom I have been building in the "show us your gamesroom" thread. Lots of interest so I'd thought I'd do a thread on it.

This isn't a "wow look at me and all my stuff" thread, I have been buying and collecting (and occassionally selling) pinballs since I was 18. Which is 20+ years ago ... So I did get a lot of my pins before Pinflation.

If you haven't seen the other pictures, lets start there.

Here are a few pics of the new gamesroom.

The room is 17 metres long x 10.5 metres wide. 180 sqm (around 2000sqft)

Here is the framework. Thats my daughter checking it out.

frames.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Next all the gib went up.

I designed the room to hold 100 pins, with room for my driving games and an airhockey table etc.

It has 2 big stacking doors on the front side, and 4 windows on the rear. There is a small bathroom at the end with a toilet and basin for pinball guests

building.JPG building_(1).JPG building_(2).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Next, the paint, and then the carpet.

I designed the electrical system. It has its own 40 way switchboard, with 18 odd wall sockets, and 8 floor mounted points. Each has its own circuit.

There are 18 single halogen downlights, but these have proved inadequate ... as the pins block the windows. And at night it's dark as hell. I will need to upgrade them to doubles. Live and learn ....

building_(3).JPG building_(4).JPG

#4 7 years ago

On Saturday the 3rd, we made the move.

I have been in my existing house/warehouse in a Business Park for 4 years now (was only going to be 6 months ... hey, I got busy!) Lots of people have been to this place, from all over the world to play the pins and talk pinball.

Here it was in all its glory ...

arcade4s.jpg arcade6s.jpg

#5 7 years ago

and here it is looking all sad-ass, with the machines packed down and ready to move ...

moving.JPG

#6 7 years ago

Looking good, will take a little while to set up 87 pins, if I lived locally I would help. You could hold your own pinball championship once done

#7 7 years ago

fucking shit ! my house is smaller than your gameroom !!!

you're a lucky guy indeed, but i assume you know that already

#8 7 years ago

I had lots of offers of help from fellow Auckland Pinheads ... thanks guys ... but one of my tenants, a MMA Fighting gym offered to help. I thought, sweet ... muscley dudes, away we go ...

My good friend (and master flooring practitioner) NICKS FIGURES was champing at the bit to come and help out as well, so I gratefully accepted.

Just as well NICKS FIGURES came, as we ended up moving all the pins between me and him! The gym guys put them outside, me and Nick loaded em on the truck, drove 5 minutes out to the new place, and unloaded them all. 60 of them. Check out THE FIGURES in these pictures ... he's buggered!!

moving_(1).JPG moving_(2).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Wow that's a lot of pins. I thought it was a bitch moving 20 machines last year when I moved.

#10 7 years ago

I told the truck rental guys I would have the truck back at 3pm (I got it at 9am ...)

Me and Nick were still going at 6pm! Nick had to bail as his family thought he had been abducted.

I did another load by myself after pizza (and watching some Rugby League on TV) and finished about 11pm.

Excuse the pics, iphone and dark rooms are not good friends ...

moving_(3).JPG moving_(4).JPG moving_(5).JPG moving_(6).JPG

#11 7 years ago

The next morning I roped in the gym guys again and they were really cool. I bought another 12 pins out of my warehouse, plus my Skud Race twin driver, my air hockey table and a couple of DJ type Arcades I have picked up.

The room is chocka full now!!

photo.JPG

#12 7 years ago

Man I'd love to do a trolley dash in that room (need a big freaking trolley), well played RD.

#13 7 years ago

I've been busy today (its Monday night here) and busy again tomorrow but I will get around to moving them around tomorrow night.

I'll post more pictures when I get them all sorted out!

cheers for looking!

rd

#14 7 years ago

Genius that you left the legs on whilst in transit, that would take forever to reattach all the legs

#15 7 years ago

Wow, this is just amazing! Nice new space you have there!

Congrats on the move.

Chris

#16 7 years ago

Nice work Dave, I'll be following with interest.

#17 7 years ago

Nice work RD, that room is not looking so big now

#18 7 years ago

Nice work Dave, keep the pics coming

#19 7 years ago

Wow Dave .... just wow !!

REAALLLLY looking forward to March next year now .

#20 7 years ago

Now I have to ask the million dollar question.....how are you planning on setting up all the games (group by age, theme, company, designer, cabinet, etc)?

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Now I have to ask the million dollar question.....how are you planning on setting up all the games (group by age, theme, company, designer, cabinet, etc)?

With that many I'd use the ball drop strategy good question though.

#22 7 years ago

Awesome rd, nice to see the pins make it to there new home.....hopefully to stay there a while!

Great job on the new room too.

#23 7 years ago

Love it! Can't wait to see more pictures. You're livin' the dream!

#24 7 years ago

Good work Rotor and well done to Nick for lending a hand.

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I have some ideas

We shall see how they pan out ... Stay tuned ...

rd.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from sleazius:

Nice work Dave, I'll be following with interest.

Thanks Leigh, hope to see you here for Pincade next March.

Same goes to all you guys, come on over.

rd.

#27 7 years ago

Fantastic setup RD! I hope you had more than a few beers on hand to pay off all the free help.

I had the pleasure of traveling to New Zealand on business a couple years ago. Most of my time was spent between Queenstown/Wanaka areas on the south island. After driving across the South Island all I can say is its a phenomenal place! The highlight of my trip was finding a super clean Twilight Zone in the Aukland Airport's International terminal.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

Love it! Can't wait to see more pictures. You're livin' the dream!

Living the sore arms at the moment.... Haha!

I worked out today ...

65 pins ... On to the tail lift, On to the truck, back onto the tail lift, off the truck into the house ... 4 lifts per machine.

So me and Nick lifted 260 pinball machines on Saturday. No wonder my arms hurt .... And my muscles look like Hugh Jackman in Wolverine 2. Possibly.

rd.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I have some ideas
    We shall see how they pan out ... Stay tuned ...
    rd.

Hope you have leg dolly's to move the pins around when that decision is finally made.

#30 7 years ago

F'ing brilliant space!!

#31 7 years ago

So awesome!!!!!!!!

#32 7 years ago

Sweet thread!

#33 7 years ago

Show me to the guestroom!

#34 7 years ago

This gameroom is awesome , the biggest i v never seen .... very impressive

#35 7 years ago

Nicccce!!!

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

Fantastic setup RD! I hope you had more than a few beers on hand to pay off all the free help.

Actually, Nick ran off without any beer and the gym guys don't drink! But I grabbed a Corona ...

Quoted from jgreene:

I had the pleasure of traveling to New Zealand on business a couple years ago. Most of my time was spent between Queenstown/Wanaka areas on the south island. After driving across the South Island all I can say is its a phenomenal place!

Yeah, it's nice down there alright. Very picturesque.

rd

#37 7 years ago

Looking awesome Dave! Just amazing. I can't wait to see this at Pincade next year. I'll be sure not to fly out on the night that you're hosting this time!

#38 7 years ago

Started moving pins around tonight.....

Here is the "wall-o-Stern" ...

Sterns.JPG

#39 7 years ago

Nice. Do all exports just have a single coin slot?

#40 7 years ago

I now know what my #1 2014's New Year's Resolution is going to be...
    Visit Rotordave...For a month!

(Don't forget the Aleve for that back RD. For your health!)

#41 7 years ago

Hopefully we are spending a bit more time there next Pincade horse!

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Nice. Do all exports just have a single coin slot?

Yes, all NZ models have a single coin slot, and a Tournament button.

rd

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from spacies:

Hopefully we are spending a bit more time there next Pincade horse!

You'll have to talk to "Yee who must be obeyed" about that one Horse!

haha Just joking Yee! We love ya!

rd

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I now know what my #1 2014's New Year's Resolution is going to be...
    Visit Rotordave...For a month!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiwi-pincade-event-2014-plan-early-free-accomodation

rd

#45 7 years ago

Oh yeah, that'll work...
    Just let me grab my passport and I'll be there faster than you can say "Burt Munro".

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

It has its own 40 way switchboard, with 18 odd wall sockets, and 8 floor mounted points. Each has its own circuit.

Very nice....I am building an arcade and had some questions about this. Do you mean 40 breaker panel? Is this coming off your house's main service, or sub panel?....What size(amps)? How come so many separate circuits? How many games is normal per (15 or 20 a) circuit?

Sorry....not trying to derail the thread.PM me the answers when if you got time ...thanks

#47 7 years ago

That's going to look fantastic Dave when finished well done! The old place looked great but this looks like "pinball heaven".

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

Very nice....I am building an arcade and had some questions about this. Do you mean 40 breaker panel? Is this coming off your house's main service, or sub panel?....What size(amps)? How come so many separate circuits? How many games is normal per (15 or 20 a) circuit?

Remember in NZ we have 230v. Also our electrical regulations would probably be different to yours. But here is what we did.

There is a 60amp 3 phase feed to the house.

The feed comes into the Pinball room 40 way board first then splits off into the main house board which is 60 way. (ie Room for 60 mcbs ... Miniature Circuit breakers)

Each 20 amp MCB runs 2.5 TPS cable to a socket, each socket will run 6-8 pins max.

There are also MCBs for the lights and the 2x air conditioners that are going in later on.

Think that about covers it!

rd.

#49 7 years ago

what energy company you with RD? Just thinking about my investment portfolio at the moment, might need to throw some coin at ....<insert RDs answer here>

#50 7 years ago

Wow nice room.. When do we get to see the rest of the house lol?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Cobra Amusements
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.00
    $ 299.00
    $ 219.99
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    £ 50.00
    $ 289.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.99
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside