Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wallybgood
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Novus_Is_Obsolete.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I was wondering what that guy with the camera was doing...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11493706

Nice video in the story too.

#2 8 years ago

Good read!"Knocked me in the nuts"

#3 8 years ago

That was great way to spend 15 mins. Always nice to see pinball in the media and get to see a fellow pinsider in real life.

#4 8 years ago

Great article. I'm hoping to come out for the next Kiwi Pincade.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You should come out it is an awesome event. The exchange rate will be working for you too it will be cheap!

#6 8 years ago

Coolness, I read it in my NZ accent too!

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

The exchange rate will be working for you too it will be cheap!

Got me thinking. Good job RotorDave!

#8 8 years ago

Nice feature and an amazing game room. Too bad they used footage of factory high scores when he was talking about putting up his initials! Haha

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Too bad they used footage of factory high scores when he was talking about putting up his initials! Haha

First thing i noticed too

Cool piece and now I can hear Dave's accent when I read his posts.

#11 8 years ago

Ahhhh... I have a sleep in and wake to this.

Brett from the Herald took some sweet photos and pieced together a nice video. He took a lot of that footage back at the Pukekohe IFPA Classic back in November. We did the interview two weeks ago at the Pukekohe Pingolf Classic.

I haven't got the newspaper as yet, but the story is front page on the NZ Herald website, so good coverage for the pinball scene in NZ.

rd.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Yes, announcement is pending very shortly on the date, but looks like early March 2016.

This year Pincade will start in Christchurch in the South Island (so a good chance to go to Queenstown if you come earlier) and then come to Auckland for a few days, culminating with a new international pinball event at my place on Sunday.

Stand by ....

rd

#13 8 years ago

Awesome Dave!! Nice job!

#14 8 years ago

Very cool piece about pinball and great video! Nice shout out to Pinside too.

#16 8 years ago

RotorDave is not only a great pinball player, he is also one of the nicest guys around! Along with his equally awesome family, RD is a quintessential ambassador of Pinball. The generosity my wife and I were shown at this year's Pincade was quite amazing. Sure we were "technically" friends from his Route 66 trip but, we were still blown away with his five star hospitality all throughout the week+ we were there.
    Anyone on here that might be waffling about visiting for next year's Pincade won't be disappointed if they decide to go.
    RD's collection aside, there are other generous NZ pinheads that open their homes up to play for a couple of hours throughout the visit, which rounds out the Pincade experience quite nicely.
    Thanks again RD and family!
    Can't wait to see you guys in October for Chicago and beyond!

#17 8 years ago

Congrats, Dave. A great article, and even better collection. Wow.

Also neat to hear about your daughter's interest and success in competitive pinball! Nice!

-Ryan

#18 8 years ago

I know it is a quote from the lyrics, but supple wrist? Come on! Very cool that they quoted kick in the nuts though.

#19 8 years ago

Very nice. I was a bit surprised to learn that RotorDave coos.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Evets:

So was I. Lol

rd

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

RotorDave is not only a great pinball player, he is also one of the nicest guys around! Along with his equally awesome family, RD is a quintessential ambassador of Pinball. The generosity my wife and I were shown at this year's Pincade was quite amazing

Thanks for the kind words NimbleNuts!!

I must add that Nimble is very diligent with his housekeeping skills and I have never seen anyone vacuum my carpet with as much vigour .....

rd

#22 8 years ago

I still enjoy watching that herst going around in the yard while someone plays pinball in the back lol

#23 8 years ago

Nice Dave, I like seeing pinball in the media

#24 8 years ago

Damn. Thought this was gonna be one of those,..."Fugitive on lamb for last 35 years finally get's caught playing pinball next to bank he robbed" stories.
    Looks like the coast is clear, for now, RD.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Evets:

I was about to make a coo crack too. Nice job man.

#26 8 years ago

RD, with all this fame and fortune, I hope you will still have time at Expo for a beer with the commoners (me)...
    I am so stoked to watch you play live and in person ! Great story homie !

#27 8 years ago

Wonderful write up, and great Blessings, Dave, to have your family involvement and support!

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

RD, with all this fame and fortune, I hope you will still have time at Expo for a beer with the commoners (me)...
    I am so stoked to watch you play live and in person ! Great story homie !

Haha I'm as common as they get. I basically moved furniture for 20 years so I know where my position in life is.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Wonderful write up, and great Blessings, Dave, to have your family involvement and support!

Yes, it is great to have everyone involved. I can't imagine if my wife and daughter were not into it. I guess I wouldn't have started collecting pins. My wife collects soft toys, so that's her thing ... And I encourage her at her hobby. Plus she gets to go on overseas trips when we play pinball so she loves that. Win win!!

rd

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

My wife collects soft toys, so that's her thing

Is that why she married you RD

Great article RD, you da man!

#30 8 years ago

great article, thanks for sharing,,

#31 8 years ago

Congratulations Dave.Nice story and vid.I followed your route 66 adventure every step of the way.

#32 8 years ago

Great story. Congrats Dave.

#33 8 years ago

Wow what a collection & awesome gameroom Dave congrats. That was a fantastic & informed interview-you are an admirable ambassador for the hobby. It is also so nice for the personal touch of the involvement of the whole family particularly your daughter. And I must admit when your high score came up at the end of the video & it was labelled 'Dad' that brought a lovely touch to the article and pinball in general.

#34 8 years ago

I can confirm that RD's wrists are not the only supple thing...

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Wow what a collection & awesome gameroom Dave congrats. That was a fantastic & informed interview-you are an admirable ambassador for the hobby. It is also so nice for the personal touch of the involvement of the whole family particularly your daughter. And I must admit when your high score came up at the end of the video & it was labelled 'Dad' that brought a lovely touch to the article and pinball in general.

I think DAD is a factory score.... I installed heaps of remote battery holders over the last few months so most of my games are back to fresh factory settings. Otherwise they say RD! Or DAN ... She has a few high scores up too.

rd

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I can confirm that RD's wrists are not the only supple thing...

Oooooooh do tell!! I didn't drink that many Modelos ...

rd

#37 8 years ago

Great story and vid! RD you are truly a great representative of pinball! Next time ChrisS goes on tour on that side of the world I'm sneaking into his road case.

#38 8 years ago

New Zealand is at the top of my bucket-list places to visit! I've heard (and from what I've seen in pictures/videos) nothing but great things! I want to visit both the North and South Islands. If I ever make it over there, can I visit your awesome gameroom Dave?

Note: My folks hosted some New Zealanders at their house in Georgia a couple of years ago. Great people those visitors were! I was sometimes confused by how fast those Kiwis talked. Those same Kiwis were also amused at how slow some of us here in the USA talk. Haha...Good times!

PS: While over in that part of the world, I'd also love to visit that "BIG" island just west of New Zealand!

#39 8 years ago

Where's the picture of that WPT I sent over there, lol. Looks like it found a great home, looks amazing.

#40 8 years ago

Are you just going to ignore the soft nut sack rugby reference RD?

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Are you just going to ignore the soft nut sack rugby reference RD?

You'll keep Icey .... Don't forget it's your shout at Expo!!

rd

#42 8 years ago

Big shout out to my brother inlaw Brett Phibbs for doing this. I hit him up about doing this last year, Brett has won many awards for photography and did some nice work on this story.
    We keep talking about doing a coffee table style book on crazy ass collectors in New Zealand obviously including pinball nutters like You know who

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from icust298:

Where's the picture of that WPT I sent over there, lol. Looks like it found a great home, looks amazing.

I hope it wasn't this one!

Novus_Is_Obsolete.jpgNovus_Is_Obsolete.jpg

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptK:

If I ever make it over there, can I visit your awesome gameroom Dave?

Yes, it's pretty much open to anyone who wants to come. Just let me know and we will tee it up.

In the last twelve months, there's been (off the top of my head...)
    3 Frenchmen (Franck, adam, Oliver)
    1 Dutchman (ad)
    25 Australians (lots!)
    50-60 kiwis
    7 Americans (nimble, joy, ChrisS, Brandon, Candice, TheYank, his wife ..)
    1 canadian (ChrisSs road crew mate ..)

I'm probably forgetting some ...

rd

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from MSN22:

Big shout out to my brother inlaw Brett Phibbs for doing this

Brett is a top guy and a skilled photographer. He made a sweet job on the video. He wanted to fly a drone around the room with a video camera on it, but he ran out of time ....

rd.

#46 8 years ago

Looking sharp on there Mr RD!

Shame it did not have this for the boys on pinside, maybe next time on your famous outing....
    No "shasta", the drink of pinball legends
    "Lionman" call outs
    or for Nickfigures the one and only "Wayne Anderson"

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from icust298:

It's still here, with all the 4 i bought back from the states in the hearse. It's up on the block now though, I didn't really bond with it and I need more room ...! Cool pin, but sometimes they just don't click. The others that came in the hearse were Elvira, Grand Lizard and Fireball, they're all staying long term.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

Looking sharp on there Mr RD!
    Shame it did not have this for the boys on pinside, maybe next time on your famous outing....
    No "shasta", the drink of pinball legends
    "Lionman" call outs
    or for Nickfigures the one and only "Wayne Anderson"

Nicks figures!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 8 years ago

Awesome piece Dave! Great collection!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#50 8 years ago

Yeah, man when the article said 95 pins I thought, hmmm, RD has over 100. Then it listed the other places you have pins. I know this is not a for sale add, but I am going to throw out the classic "I wish I was closer". Cool article.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotordave-in-the-news and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.