Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spin Out Roto target (resized).jpg
Spin Out PB lights (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).JPG
IMG_5933 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I've got a Gottlieb Spin Out and when you hit a target on the roto target, it lights up the numbers for both targets. (left and right) It also lights both when for the outlane rollover where it says "score left value" or "score right value". Scores em both.
Anyone have this trouble? I'm thinking it has to be in the rotor. Wasn't doing that last week.

#2 6 years ago

Can you post a schematic?

#3 6 years ago

I wish! If I had one, I could probably figure it out. I've got a M.E. degree. Pin schematics don't seem to be available online... every site I find wants you to buy a paper copy. Arcade machines, schematics are everywhere!

I figured someone may have seen the problem before. Since it just popped up I figured something got bumped out of whack in that wheel. It parks correctly, and from what I read if the contacts don't align you usually just don't get score recognition. I get too much!

#4 6 years ago

Have you tried holding the roto target in a few positions other than the rest position and hitting one of the targets or an outlane rollover? If it is a roto target problem you might be able to find a working position by trial and error. If you do find a place where it works as it should it probably means that it's not coming to rest in the right spot. That could be because the set screws that hold the roto target on its shaft have worked loose and allowed it to slip, or perhaps that one of the ratchet stops has worked loose. Either one might let the target come to a stop in the wrong place.

/Mark

#5 6 years ago

Yup. Tried moving position slightly. All I managed to do was make it not score at all. :/

1 month later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from parzval:

Yup. Tried moving position slightly. All I managed to do was make it not score at all. :/

Argh. I have this same exact issue. Did you ever find tge solution?

#7 6 years ago

There should be two different relays for the roto, and something that controls the RO switches (alternate being lit up?). Look for a "score control" relay or two for the ROs. Check 'em out.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks... love this site and all the info from everyone! Well, I believe I am solved... I notice an arc would jump between the tiny gap between the leaf switches behind the targets when manually triggering a lane switch, resulting in a number or two being triggered by the rollover for one or both targets... or 1 target hit triggering both. After a slight increase in the gap between the leafs behind both targets, all was normal again... understandable given how often the target gets hit... probably reduced the gap over 43 years.

#9 6 years ago

Excellent. Please check as "resolved."

8 months later
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Excellent. Please check as "resolved."

That would be wonderful if it was his thread. But it is mine.

I also did solve this. Though now I've forgotten how. I do know I found a thin wire broken off that went to one circuit on the disc. But I don't believe that solved it. I did take it apart and clean the contacts as well... that's how I found the wire. I want to say the whole assembly's frame was contacting something because I remember removing the whole spin target and re-mounting it properly, but that may have been to rebuild the ratchet pawls. I'll think a bit more on it and if I remember, I'll update the thread. But in the meantime, I will mark it resolved.

1 year later
#11 3 years ago
Quoted from parzval:

That would be wonderful if it was his thread. But it is mine.
I also did solve this. Though now I've forgotten how. I do know I found a thin wire broken off that went to one circuit on the disc. But I don't believe that solved it. I did take it apart and clean the contacts as well... that's how I found the wire. I want to say the whole assembly's frame was contacting something because I remember removing the whole spin target and re-mounting it properly, but that may have been to rebuild the ratchet pawls. I'll think a bit more on it and if I remember, I'll update the thread. But in the meantime, I will mark it resolved.

That doesn't really give a firm explanation of how it was resolved, so did you ever figure out what you did to fix it? I'm going to hijack this thread if I may because it pertains to the same issue I've been having.

I just picked up a Spinout in nice condition and went through everything fixing minor issues here and there. I ended up setting it from 5 ball to 3 ball right away, and without noticing it at first, the Roto targets started scoring both sides at once. After going through EVERYTHING I looked at the schematics and it showed the 2 switches on the Roto targets being hooked up to the 3-5ball adjustment. A light bulb went off in my head and I switched it back to 5 ball and then the targets were scoring one at a time like they probably should.

Does anyone know if this is how it's supposed to be? Maybe it's just to make it easier when you only have 3 balls per game? I couldn't find a setting for Liberal/Conservative play so it doesn't seem like it's adjustable, so maybe there's a problem with my machine that I can't find. I have the full original manual and schematics for it and it doesn't show anything in there about a Liberal play adjustment.

Also my Pop bumpers are basically always lit, which I can see must be a problem because they're supposed to be 100 points when lit, which implies there's a time when they're not lit.
IMG_5932 (resized).JPGIMG_5932 (resized).JPGIMG_5933 (resized).JPGIMG_5933 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from CanadianGamer:

Also my Pop bumpers are basically always lit, which I can see must be a problem because they're supposed to be 100 points when lit, which implies there's a time when they're not lit.

After watching videos of working machines I see that they are pretty much always lit as mine are so that seems normal.

I still haven't figured out why both sides score when set to 3 ball play, so I've just left it on 5 ball. I would like to know if anyone has any input on this but I might have to start my own thread. Cheers.

1 month later
#13 3 years ago

The pop bumper lights should be on constantly except when the Score Motor is turning:
Spin Out PB lights (resized).jpgSpin Out PB lights (resized).jpg
When the Score Motor is turning during a game it is usually doing some kind of scoring or other computation that would prevent it from also reliably adding pop bumper points at the same time. Rather than periodically missing pop bumper points the pop bumper scoring is simply disabled by opening a normally closed switch when the motor runs. A Motor 3D switch is used to turn off the lights; A Motor 1C switch is used in the 100 point relay circuit (not shown). The pop bumper lights provide a clear indication when this is happening.

The same is also true for the rollover light shown although that light requires that the 14B trip relay also be tripped before the light comes on.

I still haven't figured out why both sides score when set to 3 ball play, so I've just left it on 5 ball. I would like to know if anyone has any input on this but I might have to start my own thread.

Both Roto Target sides score during a 3 ball game by design:
Spin Out Roto target (resized).jpgSpin Out Roto target (resized).jpg
If you look at the bottom half of this schematic you can see that the SL/slate wire runs from the right side rollover and target switches to the Roto Unit and connects to contacts at all seven positions. The short double ended arrow (shown connected to the 2B relay coil) indicates that the Roto Unit can connect the slate wire to any one of the seven trip relay coils (1B to 7B) based on the position of the Roto Target. When either of the right side target switches closes the circuit to one of the trip relays is completed based on the position of the Roto Target. That's pretty much how all Roto Targets work.

This one is interesting because there is an identical but separate circuit at the top of the schematic connected to the left side target switches through an OR/orange wire. Although the schematic for this circuit is drawn differently for simplicity, the intention and behavior of the circuit is the same. The Roto Target can connect the orange wire to any of the seven trip relay coils (but not the same one as the slate wire).

The 3-5 ball adjustment can change the circuit to connect the slate and orange wires together for a 3 ball game. The effect is that any of the four switches on the right side of the schematic completes a circuit to two of the trip relay coils instead of just one. This makes the objectives easier to accomplish with just 3 balls and is the intended behavior.

A game that scores two trip relays during a 5 ball game likely has a short somewhere between the orange and slate wires.

Note also that the Roto Target scoring is disabled while the Score Motor is turning (by opening Motor switch 1C) the same way the pop bumpers are.

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roto-target-scoring-both-sides?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.