• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD1BF47D-6E52-40D8-99EC-916062C8B29F (resized).jpeg
694AFFE5-7FE5-463B-A963-38B54719AF91 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I'm having a hard time getting my roto target working properly. I have seen the PDFs for how to do the adjustments and I think I have those right.

The unit spins great without the target wheel attached. Then when I put the target wheel on it barley moves. I'm not sure if it's the finger springs or maybe the pawl springs that need replacing. Maybe it's both or something else entirely.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

This might help

694AFFE5-7FE5-463B-A963-38B54719AF91 (resized).jpeg694AFFE5-7FE5-463B-A963-38B54719AF91 (resized).jpegDD1BF47D-6E52-40D8-99EC-916062C8B29F (resized).jpegDD1BF47D-6E52-40D8-99EC-916062C8B29F (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

This might help
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you but like I said in the first post I have already looked at the PDFs and gone through the adjustment procedures.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from 1iblind:

Thank you but like I said in the first post I have already looked at the PDFs and gone through the adjustment procedures.

Better have another look then...................

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Better have another look then...................

The roto unit was fully disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, lubed, and put back together.

1. Solenoid plunger stroke set to 7/8"... Check
2. Space between stop pawl and A-4185 is at 3/16" in rest position.. Check
3. In energized position drive pawl lift A-4184 has 1/32" of clearance from spinning ratchet and both pawls clear the ratchet... Check
4. Thin coating of white lithium grease on rivet disc... Check
5. Lube on gear teeth... Check
6. Lube shaft at bearing... Check
7. Leave some axial clearance when tightening spider... Check
8. Wiper fingers and springs move freely... Check

I've read some have had problems because the teeth are worn down or broken. Mine are in really good shape.

I've also read the pawls can get a groove worn into them that can cause issues. These are also in really good shape.

I still have the issue described in the first post. Anyone else have any helpful advice?

#6 1 year ago

Would worn out springs cause the issue I'm having?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from 1iblind:

Would worn out springs cause the issue I'm having?

*Possible*. Should be easy to see, though: The purpose of the springs is to return the driver arm back to the 'starting state' when the coil is de-energized. If you push in the plunger by hand and it springs all the way back when you let go, then the springs are doing their job.
(If, on the other hand, it doesn't return back to the starting state, then the next spin is going to be weak because the plunger won't travel as far.)

#8 1 year ago

Turned out to not be anything with the roto unit itself. There was a rubber rubbing against it. All good now!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from 1iblind:

Turned out to not be anything with the roto unit itself. There was a rubber rubbing against it. All good now!

Sometimes the simplest and even obvious is the fix!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roto-target-on-gottlieb-close-encounters- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.