(Topic ID: 173305)

Rotation VIII - is it a worthwhile purchase?

By Hammerhead

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Hammerhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have an opportunity to buy a Rotation VIII locally. I've never been much for cocktail pins, but this very unique take on them has me reconsidering. I've done as much research as I can but information is limited, except for the fact that it is prone to problems and 90% are usually not working.

I have no idea what to offer, and the owner has honestly said he doesn't know what to ask. Game has been sitting for 15+ years, condition unknown.

Whether its working or I can get it running, am I still wasting my time with respect to gameplay? Is this just a novelty piece? Will I get tired of it in 15 minutes?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

A Very cool novelty piece. Worth about $200 maybe?, in an unknown condition.

#3 7 years ago

Depends on your engineering skills.
This is the only Bally/Midway cocktail pin.
Ruleset mimics Eight Ball.

From what I understand the motor that turns the playfield in the 4 directions is quite unobtanium...something custom created would be in order. But it was done again by another manufacturer on Spectra IV http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2273
I would pay more than $200 for this if there were any chance I could get it to work again.
Game is 38 years old - I'm sure it was sitting longer than 15.

#4 7 years ago

I'd grab one if it popped up for a reasonable price. An interesting and rare piece. I tend to like interesting games like this that are off the beaten track, but not everyone does or is capable of repairing games like this. If you're not comfortable with board work, this game might not be for you--there's not a whole lot of repair info available, so you may be largely on your own.

If you don't necessarily want it, pass it along to someone else who is interested.

#5 7 years ago

Wow, really nothing going on on that playfield and it plays crazy slow.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Wow, really nothing going on on that playfield and it plays crazy slow.

Well, it is a 70's solid state pin, after all. But for a 70's cocktail game, I thought there was a decent number of things happening in addition to the rotating playfield gimmick.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

But for a 70's cocktail game, I thought there was a decent number of things happening in addition to the rotating playfield gimmick.

Friend of mine got one, it is a really decent cocktail table. I would not mind owning one!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd grab one if it popped up for a reasonable price. An interesting and rare piece. I tend to like interesting games like this that are off the beaten track, but not everyone does or is capable of repairing games like this. If you're not comfortable with board work, this game might not be for you--there's not a whole lot of repair info available, so you may be largely on your own.
» YouTube video
If you don't necessarily want it, pass it along to someone else who is interested.

Yeah, you're right.

I thought it may be an Alltek, but I've never seen inside one, and it's not on the supported list.
That could pose a problem...but we do know a great board guy in this area--if game still has one and it isn't corroded.

I'd gamble. If it's not beat up...absolutely..go get this.

#9 7 years ago

This guy used to make replacement boards, but he stopped.

He still has a good troubleshooting section:

http://www.polzin.ca/Troubleshoot.html

#10 7 years ago

I have one that I have owned for around 7 years ... it doesn't get much play as it can be a bit slow and. Any really nudge well but not a terrible game but is a typical pool theme
Good site for info is polzin.ca
If you good get a non working for 200 I would be all over it as these usually go for a higher price
If you do buy one and don't like it ...I'm looking for a apron

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I have one that I have owned for around 7 years

Played Stretch7's pin many times. Can't really nudge them. If you have the room for it and possibly easy access to the game room. It is different. There are some tough shots, (for me) but does have that, "I got to try it again". It looks easier to play than it is. Sitting down, with a different playfield view angle.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

From what I understand the motor that turns the playfield in the 4 directions is quite unobtanium...something custom created would be in order. But it was done again by another manufacturer on Spectra IV

Spectra IV was manually rotated, no motor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotation-viii-is-it-a-worhtshile-purchase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.