Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is “story” important to you?”

• Story doesn’t matter 13 votes
      48%
    • Give me more story 14 votes
      52%

(27 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paths.png
    2gwdgs (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

What if someone made a game with no points at all? A game where you progress through chapters of a story and have variations of outcomes depending on your performance.

This is my nightmare scenario with Pinball and it just sounds awfull.

#12 5 years ago

A pinball machine is and always has been a machine to manipulate in order to score points; I just don't want to get away form that and people are talking aboot it more and more these days. Losing the scoring dynamic just seems like the opposite of what it's intended to do.
    A story telling element is already present in 99% of modern games. Haven't played a ton of TNA but there's some reactors blowing up and shit I guess which is a story...which leaves just Juicy Melons? Anyway I just don't get it personally. You have to do X number of things to advance the story? I mean sure, that's what modes do. What happens when i accomplish all the goals? Instead of a score I have a time?

Quoted from Rascal_H:

I’m sure anyone with the slightest bit of imagination could conceive of a scenario where it would work.

Shouldn't be too long before someone posts one then and i can better understand.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

This sounds like me. And Dragons Lair maybe wasn’t the best example.

It wasn't because it's a very finite rules/movements. But don't worry, Fallout is actually a worser eXample the other way.
    No one cares aboot scoring in Fallout because it's a complete open world games with 100,000 story lines involved. Think the Stern crew can slap that together?

Quoted from Freshmaker:

Pinball is a game in which you use flippers in an attempt to hit targets with a ball. That's it.

I know they made pinball machines without flippers, did they make them without points?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Traveler76:

When I play pinball, I focus almost exclusively on mode completion.

How does that work on you Fireball, Pinbot, Jokerz, & Earthsaker?

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

...Pinball could really learn a thing or two from more modern video games. Probably the best thing I could think of would be a pinball machine that takes cues from Star Fox.

And what could be more modern than Star Fox ?

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Freshmaker:

Almost all of the objections in this thread can be eliminated by having choice of game type, and smart design.

My objections are more to how it's implemented, or the fact that it never will be. I wish these games had 4 or 8 diff'rent ways to play; I mean why the hell not? Because it takes a lot of work, and there's a lot of risk with it.
    What if the story, like plenty of videa game stories, just flat out suck and buyers don't like it (ha pinball peeps pissing and moaning!)? Then you've spent a lot of time and monies making something that is pointless. True the game still has "regular" mode, but the company has "lost" monies using people towards Story mode.
    And once again, whenever we're talking aboot vid & pins, it kind of is apples and oranges. I'd like to be a person that believes Stern can just come up with some kick ass multi layered story in an awesome choose your own adventure type way, but I doubt it.
    Lest we also forget Stern is maybe/allegedly going to dip their toe in the non-licensed pool so maybe there's hope there, but how are you going to make an amazing deep and immersive *shit in my mouth* story revolving around Aerosmith exactly? Or changing the script on Disney movies? Can we do that? The company that wont even let you show a person speaking the goddamn lines they spoke in the movie on a screen?

Oh wait, it's all like super easy to do probably.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Freshmaker:

Why would any manufacturer have to? Does Microsoft or Valve or Sony or Nintendo develop every game for their platform?

Wow, now I'm actually missing carguments.

Quoted from J85M:

I...but George Gomez hints at the fact Stern are looking into their catalog of classics, could be something for everyone in the near future.

man that would be awesome!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/room-for-storytelling-in-pinball?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.