(Topic ID: 244141)

Room for one more? A girl & a hobby.

By TheTenderTilt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are there any newbies out there?”

• In the hobby < 1 year 16 votes
      7%
    • In the hobby 1-3 years 40 votes
      17%
    • In the hobby 3-8years 77 votes
      32%
    • In the hobby >8 years 106 votes
      44%

(239 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dr. Smith (resized).jpg
    F94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpeg
    723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg
    AsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015558 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015004 (resized).jpg
    7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    6FF08FDB-5D7E-4468-844A-DF8FDBD5F830 (resized).jpeg
    6B9347BE-AC9F-4AAA-9E3F-17D13EB375D8 (resized).jpeg
    0C49E8FE-0E2B-489B-A723-29A4F712BA50 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    a5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#135 4 years ago

Welcome! I'd honestly be surprised if there were any leagues up in Killeen but there is a group here in Austin that holds tournaments fairly regular. The group is Bat City Pinball.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BatCityPinball/

Seems like they're having a tournament tomorrow at Buffalo Billiards downtown tomorrow. I haven't been to any of their events yet but I really should go sometime.

My brother play_pinball just finished shopping out a STTNG so if you have questions while shopping it out he might be able to help. One of the wiring harnesses to the cannon on his game has a break in the wire so we're waiting for that to arrive and get swapped out so that we can actually put some games on it. He actually ordered a spare set of harnesses so if yours needs replacing you might be able to buy that off him. If the wiring harnesses for the cannons haven't been replaced yet odds are they need replacing. They're apparently very prone to failure.

As some general advice when shopping something out I can't stress enough to take lots and lots of pictures. And after you think you've taken enough and you will have no problems getting that piece back together once you take it off... take some more pictures. You don't want to be sitting there trying to put your game back together going "How did I not get a picture of this?! How does this go back on!?"

If you need help with anything feel free to message me. I typically do my own board repair though I'm no expert.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Welcome my friend. I'm glad you posted. And I hope your experiences here are all good.
    Back many years ago on Rec Games Pinball. A persons first post had a 50 - 50 shot of getting flamed into oblivion.
    Pinside is usually way better at welcoming and helping people. And should you need it, a lot of great help here to assist you.
    LTG : )

I was just thinking about this but I had the completely opposite thought of you though. I would have said RGP was typically more welcoming. But my memory isn't all that great and I stopped following RGP probably around 2007 or so.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That event was just cancelled. We do have stuff every week at Pinballz and monthly at Buffalo Billiards.
    https://batcitypinball.weebly.com/queer-bomb-tournament.html

Why was it canceled?

I forgot to mention pinballz but i can't really suggest it anymore even if they finally decide to get the games into decent shape since they decided to jack the prices way up. Though you can still get the old pricing on most things for now using quarters until they finally move all the machines to card readers. Can't use quarters on any of the new games though. Those already have card readers.

#166 4 years ago

STTNG can be kind of a beast. At least repair wise. I'm sure shopping it out isn't much easier. Don't stress about it though as there's plenty of people around the area who can help you out. Just might cost you some play time on your black knight though.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

I may have been mistaken, if i find the thread ill link it. I havent updated a code yet, BKSOR is the first one im updating and doing that later tonight

You'll need a rom burner or know someone who has one who can burn the rom for you for STTNG. I've got a burner and I may even have spare EEPROMs of the right size for STTNG but I'd have to check.

I'd say you have a decent chance at being on the latest version though if you haven't checked.

#201 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

frax
    From what i could tell the fuses are correct and everything looks clean, expect for this mark on the board. I checked the bulbs and what the sockets were pulling and the wires. Originally fuse f110 was blown, and i changed it and fuse f109 kept getting hot and blowing if the GI was on on the playfield and the translite area. If the translite area lights were not on then it wouldn’t blow. Once i switched everything to LED the fuse stopped blowing. -i know that’s not a solution, but that’s as far as i got a week ago..[quoted image]

Looks like someone has already replaced the connector but they did a really poor job of soldering the header. I doubt the poor soldering job is the cause of it blowing fuses though.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Wouldn't be TOO sure about that....look at it this way.
    Crap solder joints are prone to cracking and failure. If two ends of a crap solder blob like that are creating a short and it's cracked....move the machine and there's an intermittent connection. Could be caused by nudging or otherwise bumping the machine. Replacing the F110 fuse MIGHT have further broken where that solder blob was attached to, so that it's less likely to make connection, but it's still a poor job of repair, and you can see that .
    That header needs to be repinned (the connector looks fine to me), and the solder blob cleaned up either way. It's something that would be about a 15 minute job for me (if I hadn't broken my soldapullt and not replaced it yet lol). I'm just not sure if those blobs are covering traces that burned, or what. If that was someone's attempt at a solder stitch, it's pretty ugly, but that's a tough job in an open spot, much less cramped like that. It's still repairable, though which is more than I can say for a lot of things!

It would be a lot longer than 15 minutes for me with a solderpult. I'm kinda slow doing board work. But I just got a new toy in the mail yesterday. Ordered a Hakko 301. I have a Aoyue soldering, desoldering, hot air station and the desoldering on on it *kinda* worked. But not as well as I'd have liked. Hoping the Hakko 301 is better. I'm sure it is (it was certainly more expensive).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/room-for-one-more-a-girl-amp-a-hobby?tu=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.