(Topic ID: 244141)

Room for one more? A girl & a hobby.

By TheTenderTilt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are there any newbies out there?”

• In the hobby < 1 year 16 votes
      7%
    • In the hobby 1-3 years 40 votes
      17%
    • In the hobby 3-8years 77 votes
      32%
    • In the hobby >8 years 106 votes
      44%

(239 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dr. Smith (resized).jpg
    F94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpeg
    723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg
    AsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015558 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015004 (resized).jpg
    7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    6FF08FDB-5D7E-4468-844A-DF8FDBD5F830 (resized).jpeg
    6B9347BE-AC9F-4AAA-9E3F-17D13EB375D8 (resized).jpeg
    0C49E8FE-0E2B-489B-A723-29A4F712BA50 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    a5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpg
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

Hey Everyone!
    I’ve only recently got into the hobby, (about 6 months in) and I just joined Pinside. I was a little hesitant to joining after hearing that one slip up can cause a mob with pitchforks to hunt you down, or after seeing that asking a “newbie” question can get you ridiculed. BUT I decided to make the plunge anyways! (See what I did there, pinball puns.)

So my thought on this post is:
    Is it safe for us newbies out here?

I’m so eager and excited to be part of this community and talk pinball and learn from the more seasoned pinballers! Any tips or remarks for those that are just now joining? How long have you been actively in pinball/pinside?
    <3

#2 4 years ago

just don't sell a twilight zone for 65k

#3 4 years ago

russdx or a Gilligans Island for 10k!

#4 4 years ago

lol indeed!

#5 4 years ago

Welcome to the fun and crazy times of Pinside.!

#6 4 years ago

As long as you’re not from Texas you’ll be fine.

I kid, I kid.

I’ve only been in the hobby for approximately 4 years and to date have focused strictly on EM’s (I love old stuff).

I don’t post that often but view information almost daily. The site is a tremendous resource and there are some wonderful and very helpful people here.

New member or old some threads can go south in a real hurry. I just try and steer clear of the nonsense and enjoy the positives of a great forum.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Welcome to the fun and crazy times of Pinside.!

Thanks! I can’t believe I’m just now hearing about Pinball... no one I know has even played?! It’s crazy!

#8 4 years ago

four games in six months including a NIB - Yep, you got the sickness! Just note, no known cure!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nazumpan:

As long as you’re not from Texas you’ll be fine.
    I kid, I kid.
    I’ve only been in the hobby for approximately 4 years and to date have focused strictly on EM’s (I love old stuff).
    I don’t post that often but view information almost daily. The site is a tremendous resource and there are some wonderful and very helpful people here.
    New member or old some threads can go south in a real hurry. I just try and steer clear of the nonsense and enjoy the positives of a great forum.

I was so ready for this to go downhill! *heart stopped at “Texas”* haha!
    I wish there were EM’s in my area, luckily some bars and arcades have a few pins but mostly the new releases. Hopefully with pinball growing in areas they will start to branch out!
    ^agreed about trying to stay positive! Atleast if your not about something or subject you can stay level headed with it.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

four games in six months including a NIB - Yep, you got the sickness! Just note, no known cure!

Haha was it that obvious I have a collector type personality... this can only end one way! Seriously have no idea what I’m doing but I’m trying to read and learn, and listen! My podcast listening to catch up was like 10 hours a day... i had to cut back a bit.

#11 4 years ago

Do you know a nerd named Kaneda?

#12 4 years ago

Something is not as it seems.

#13 4 years ago

Got any game room pics?

#14 4 years ago

Welcome to the forums! If you're Tilting Tenderly, you're not playing hard enough!

Dont worry about being new. There are plenty of us that were in your shoes at one point. I wouldnt know half as much about pinball if it wasnt for this site. Like others have said, steer clear from the drama, and you're all good. Dont be afraid to ask questions. And speaking of drama, Kaneda is a big source of that. If you do a little bit of research, you'll see why. Hope to see you post around more often.

#15 4 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! I admire your courage and it will pay off. You have good choices on your games especially STTNG. Great game and a keeper. Lots of things to learn about on here. Lots of great knowledge from multiple entities.

#16 4 years ago

You’ve only been in the hobby for ~6 months and have spent probably $14-15k on your collection already?

#17 4 years ago

Welcome!

#18 4 years ago

The more the merrier!

I didn’t have a single friend who was into pinball and this place was super invaluable to my education when I hopped on. Just have a sense of humor and be a good vibe person (which you sound like!) and learn to use the ignore button if anybody truly makes your skin crawl. It’s a very user friendly site despite certain users not being very friendly

#19 4 years ago

I'm choosing to not believe the coincidence of this "newbie" appearing a day after the dumb reactions of pinsiders in the "invisible" thread. I see this as "let's see how dumb those guys can act" because a female is posting.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I'm choosing to not believe the coincidence of this "newbie" appearing a day after the dumb reactions of pinsiders in the "invisible" thread. I see this as "let's see how dumb those guys can act" because a female is posting.

Why does it matter?

Just be nice and welcoming to the new people. In the rare case it's not a real new person, what have I lost? "Wolfmarsh was nice and welcoming to my fake account! Jokes on him!"

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why does it matter?
    Just be nice and welcoming to the new people. In the rare case it's not a real new person, what have I lost? "Wolfmarsh was nice and welcoming to my fake account! Jokes on him!"

You were nice, yes. I read that Invisible thread and overall it was very cringeworthy. This feels like, to me, an attempt to illicit more of those idiotic responses.

#22 4 years ago

"When given the choice between being right, or being kind, choose kind."

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You were nice, yes. I read that Invisible thread and overall it was very cringeworthy. This feels like, to me, an attempt to illicit more of those idiotic responses.

Social media is built around this principle. Pinside included. Make a post, get a Like, thumbs up, upvote, Heart, d-in-the-b, whatever.

#24 4 years ago

Dont be afraid to ask questions, even if it seems like a dumb question. Especially with tech. I have had a lot of issues with games solved by pinsiders. And ive met a lot of great people through this hobby.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Haha! Thread only hours old- yes, let conspiracy theories commence. “She” does have an Xfiles.

Welcome whomever you are! Don’t be boring or easily offended.

#26 4 years ago

wait... I usually have to do something special for that option...

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

wait... I usually have to do something special for that option...

Unclench?

#29 4 years ago

my advice is read all of vids guides and you'll be well on your way

#30 4 years ago

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

shhhhhhhhh!! we don't speak that name here

#32 4 years ago

Welcome to the addiction!!

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

I know he does a podcast, haven’t listened to his yet. - apparently he trolls as women on here?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Something is not as it seems.

I assure you I am who I am haha! I’ve been doing the @pinballprophet account on Instagram/ Facebook/Twitter

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Welcome to the forums! If you're Tilting Tenderly, you're not playing hard enough!
    Dont worry about being new. There are plenty of us that were in your shoes at one point. I wouldnt know half as much about pinball if it wasnt for this site. Like others have said, steer clear from the drama, and you're all good. Dont be afraid to ask questions. And speaking of drama, Kaneda is a big source of that. If you do a little bit of research, you'll see why. Hope to see you post around more often.

Thanks for the encouragement!! I’ve heard his name floating around in drama issues, I haven’t actually listened to him or read any of his items yet except for him on the TWIPPY 2018. Doesn’t seem like my cup of tea.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

I know he does a podcast, haven’t listened to his yet. - apparently he trolls as women on here?

Now I'm suspicious...

a5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpga5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpg
    #37 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Welcome to Pinside! I admire your courage and it will pay off. You have good choices on your games especially STTNG. Great game and a keeper. Lots of things to learn about on here. Lots of great knowledge from multiple entities.

Thank you!! I may have to disagree about my STTNG! It has kicked my ass so hard. I’m not very good, and have watched so many tutorial videos. Between that and the Black Knight Sword of Fury machine, I’m haunted by Picard and Steve!

#38 4 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#39 4 years ago

Howdy fellow Texan. I've been collecting since 2008, and I found that I enjoy going to local tournaments. There is a Belles and Chimes (women's league) here in Houston. Hopefully, you can find one or start one there in your town.

Come on out to our fast growing Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo in November.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-houston-arcade-amp-pinball-expo-nov-15-16-2019

Frisco is the other local pinball Expo in March.
    http://www.texaspinball.com/

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

You’ve only been in the hobby for ~6 months and have spent probably $14-15k on your collection already?

Well when you put it that way maybe I should rethink my life choices! But yeah.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

The more the merrier!
    I didn’t have a single friend who was into pinball and this place was super invaluable to my education when I hopped on. Just have a sense of humor and be a good vibe person (which you sound like!) and learn to use the ignore button if anybody truly makes your skin crawl. It’s a very user friendly site despite certain users not being very friendly

It’s hard when your coworkers don’t care about pinball and literally that’s all i can talk about for the last few months haha you can tell they are over it!! I’ve grown up in the age of AIM and chat rooms, just hopping pinside isn’t as bad as some say

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

As a female, I understand the “girl” playing games factor... and how people treat it. I’m not looking for attention, just a Comradery.

#43 4 years ago

Welcome, pinside is a great resource of help and knowledge for all us pinball addicts.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Can I ask what thread your referring too?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

"When given the choice between being right, or being kind, choose kind."

True words of wisdom. <3

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

Can I ask what thread your referring too?

The one that started the invisible giveaway...the one you posted in

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Dont be afraid to ask questions, even if it seems like a dumb question. Especially with tech. I have had a lot of issues with games solved by pinsiders. And ive met a lot of great people through this hobby.

I attended Texas Pinball Festival and it was amazing talking to some people, who know i know are more influential to the hobby than i knew but just the energy from them was so exciting!
    You should have been here when I spent like six hours reading and looking at diagrams to realize it was just a blown fuse haha I’ll never forget to check the fuses though.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Haha! Thread only hours old- yes, let conspiracy theories commence. “She” does have an Xfiles.
    Welcome whomever you are! Don’t be boring or easily offended.

Haha I’m beginning to see that! Idk what is happening!

#49 4 years ago

What would someone be catfishing for? It’s a pinball forum...

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

my advice is read all of vids guides and you'll be well on your way

Like all of them ever!? I’ve stumbled on a few that have been helpful. Any recommendations?

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/room-for-one-more-a-girl-amp-a-hobby?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.