(Topic ID: 244141)

Room for one more? A girl & a hobby.

By TheTenderTilt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are there any newbies out there?”

• In the hobby < 1 year 16 votes
      7%
    • In the hobby 1-3 years 40 votes
      17%
    • In the hobby 3-8years 77 votes
      32%
    • In the hobby >8 years 106 votes
      44%

(239 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dr. Smith (resized).jpg
    F94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpeg
    723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg
    AsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015558 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015004 (resized).jpg
    7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    6FF08FDB-5D7E-4468-844A-DF8FDBD5F830 (resized).jpeg
    6B9347BE-AC9F-4AAA-9E3F-17D13EB375D8 (resized).jpeg
    0C49E8FE-0E2B-489B-A723-29A4F712BA50 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    a5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpg
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

frax
    From what i could tell the fuses are correct and everything looks clean, expect for this mark on the board. I checked the bulbs and what the sockets were pulling and the wires. Originally fuse f110 was blown, and i changed it and fuse f109 kept getting hot and blowing if the GI was on on the playfield and the translite area. If the translite area lights were not on then it wouldn’t blow. Once i switched everything to LED the fuse stopped blowing. -i know that’s not a solution, but that’s as far as i got a week ago..[quoted image]

Looks like someone has already replaced the connector but they did a really poor job of soldering the header. I doubt the poor soldering job is the cause of it blowing fuses though.

#202 4 years ago

Welcome too pinside great place to find things out

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Looks like someone has already replaced the connector but they did a really poor job of soldering the header. I doubt the poor soldering job is the cause of it blowing fuses though.

Wouldn't be TOO sure about that....look at it this way.

Crap solder joints are prone to cracking and failure. If two ends of a crap solder blob like that are creating a short and it's cracked....move the machine and there's an intermittent connection. Could be caused by nudging or otherwise bumping the machine. Replacing the F110 fuse MIGHT have further broken where that solder blob was attached to, so that it's less likely to make connection, but it's still a poor job of repair, and you can see that .

That header needs to be repinned (the connector looks fine to me), and the solder blob cleaned up either way. It's something that would be about a 15 minute job for me (if I hadn't broken my soldapullt and not replaced it yet lol). I'm just not sure if those blobs are covering traces that burned, or what. If that was someone's attempt at a solder stitch, it's pretty ugly, but that's a tough job in an open spot, much less cramped like that. It's still repairable, though which is more than I can say for a lot of things!

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Crap solder joints are prone to cracking and failure. If two ends of a crap solder blob like that are creating a short and it's cracked....move the machine and there's an intermittent connection. Could be caused by nudging or otherwise bumping the machine. Replacing the F110 fuse MIGHT have further broken where that solder blob was attached to, so that it's less likely to make connection, but it's still a poor job of repair, and you can see that .
    That header needs to be repinned (the connector looks fine to me), and the solder blob cleaned up either way. It's something that would be about a 15 minute job for me (if I hadn't broken my soldapullt and not replaced it yet lol). I'm just not sure if those blobs are covering traces that burned, or what. If that was someone's attempt at a solder stitch, it's pretty ugly, but that's a tough job in an open spot, much less cramped like that. It's still repairable, though which is more than I can say for a lot of things!

It would be a lot longer than 15 minutes for me with a solderpult. I'm kinda slow doing board work. But I just got a new toy in the mail yesterday. Ordered a Hakko 301. I have a Aoyue soldering, desoldering, hot air station and the desoldering on on it *kinda* worked. But not as well as I'd have liked. Hoping the Hakko 301 is better. I'm sure it is (it was certainly more expensive).

#205 4 years ago

Welcome TheTenderTilt

Pinside can be a great place (especially for tech help) if you keep the following in mind:

Posters for whom there is never a gray area and believe you have to either love or hate a game or a manufacturer. There are always going to be people that will try to push their agenda (whatever it is) whether there is merit in it or not.

Posters who are convinced their opinion is the only one that matters or that because they had a particular experience you will have the same.

Recommendations for any game that the poster hadn’t played yet. Very common with the hype that any new game generates.

There is more to pinball than the games produced in the last 5-10 years.

If you buy a new game buy it because you like the game play at time of purchase, not promises of what it might become. Ignore the hype and “must buy now” mentality. If you want that fancy “Limited Edition” you can always find one.

Just because someone has a podcast or video show doesn’t make them an expert. Many of those folks are relative newbies themselves with very little knowledge of or appreciation for pinball history.

The only opinion of a particular game that should matter to you is yours.

Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth, especially if it’s considered “bad news” or unpopular.

What is good for an operator may not be good for a home collector and vice versa.

Don’t take shortcuts fixing your games.

I’ve only been on Pinside for a few years but have been in the hobby since the mid-90’s. I’ve seen just about everything and know enough to take most things with a large grain of salt. I don’t share or trade in non-public info or betray industry and/or individual confidences and have no respect for those who do. And, unfortunately, most women have a tougher time in this hobby than they should because some men in the hobby are still children.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Welcome thetendertilt
    Pinside can be a great place (especially for tech help) if you keep the following in mind:
    Posters for whom there is never a gray area and believe you have to either love or hate a game or a manufacturer. There are always going to be people that will try to push their agenda (whatever it is) whether there is merit in it or not.
    Posters who are convinced their opinion is the only one that matters or that because they had a particular experience you will have the same.
    Recommendations for any game that the poster hadn’t played yet. Very common with the hype that any new game generates.
    If you buy a new game buy it because you like the game play at time of purchase, not promises of what it might become. Ignore the hype and “must buy now” mentality. If you want that fancy “Limited Edition” you can always find one.
    Just because someone has a podcast doesn’t make them an expert. Many of those folks are relative newbies themselves with very little knowledge of or appreciation for pinball history.
    Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth, especially if it’s considered “bad news” or unpopular.
    What is good for an operator may not be good for a home collector and vice versa.
    I’ve only been on Pinside for a few years but have been in the hobby since the mid-90’s. I’ve seen just about everything and know enough to take most things with a large grain of salt. I don’t share or trade in non-public info or betray industry and/or individual confidences and have no respect for those who do. And, unfortunately, most women have a tougher time in this hobby than they should because some men in the hobby are still children.

great post

#207 4 years ago

Hey Everyone!
    I’ve only recently got into the hobby, (about 6 months in) and I just joined Pinside. I was a little hesitant to joining after hearing that one slip up can cause a mob with pitchforks to hunt you down, or after seeing that asking a “newbie” question can get you ridiculed. BUT I decided to make the plunge anyways! (See what I did there, pinball puns.)
    So my thought on this post is:
    Is it safe for us newbies out here?
    I’m so eager and excited to be part of this community and talk pinball and learn from the more seasoned pinballers! Any tips or remarks for those that are just now joining? How long have you been actively in pinball/pinside?
    &lt;3

Welcome aboard.

#208 4 years ago

TheTenderTilt welcome to the world of pinball and the crazy world of pinside.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

It would be a lot longer than 15 minutes for me with a solderpult. I'm kinda slow doing board work. But I just got a new toy in the mail yesterday. Ordered a Hakko 301. I have a Aoyue soldering, desoldering, hot air station and the desoldering on on it *kinda* worked. But not as well as I'd have liked. Hoping the Hakko 301 is better. I'm sure it is (it was certainly more expensive).

Well, I've never had the luxury of a desoldering gun because I'm a consummate cheapskate. I did one of those Williams ASICs with like 80 pins with the soldapullt...but I wouldn't want to repeat it. I'm trying to convince myself I need the gun, but with only Joker Poker and Crescendo in the house, it's a really hard sell.

#210 4 years ago

Welcome to the hobby @thetendertilt. Pinside is a great site, and can be a tremendous resource as others have said. Sometimes it’s easy to get sucked into the BS of it. I admittedly do sometimes myself.

Although it can be quirky from a mechanical standpoint, if you want a game that really gives you a challenge and can kick you every time you step up to it...grab a BSD. (pic posted for confirmation that I’m a real person)

F94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpegF94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpeg
    #211 4 years ago

This is a fun thread too if nobody posted it yet. You get to share in the joy of people bringing home new games.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/245#post-5035939

#212 4 years ago

That looks like a photo shopped picture of some random hockey playing, pin restoring, nice guy.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

That looks like a photo shopped picture of some random hockey playing, pin restoring, nice guy.

What up Buzz! I was trying to Photoshop myself into a room of Peewee’s Playhouse, but it wasn’t happening.

#214 4 years ago

Glad to see you and I just couldn't resist. Your one of the ones in my book that make this place great. I can't believe I didn't see that Bally Kiss in time. Please message me if something like that ever pops up.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Looks like a future shot of an older Bangerjay.

LTG : )

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Glad to see you and I just couldn't resist. Your one of the ones in my book that make this place great. I can't believe I didn't see that Bally Kiss in time. Please message me if something like that ever pops up.

Some folks here might differ on that opinion. Haha.

I did give that away for a good price. I’ll definitely hit you up next time.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Welcome thetendertilt
    Just because someone has a podcast or video show doesn’t make them an expert. Many of those folks are relative newbies themselves with very little knowledge of or appreciation for pinball history.

And anybody who says Fish Tales is not the best game ever is lying or a fool.

#218 4 years ago

Curious have you made any progress with your STTNG?

#219 4 years ago

Hey Everyone!
    I’ve only recently got into the hobby, (about 6 months in) and I just joined Pinside. I was a little hesitant to joining after hearing that one slip up can cause a mob with pitchforks to hunt you down, or after seeing that asking a “newbie” question can get you ridiculed. BUT I decided to make the plunge anyways! (See what I did there, pinball puns.)
    So my thought on this post is:
    Is it safe for us newbies out here?
    I’m so eager and excited to be part of this community and talk pinball and learn from the more seasoned pinballers! Any tips or remarks for those that are just now joining? How long have you been actively in pinball/pinside?
    &lt;3

When summoned for jury duty, abide by Pinsider Principle #1: gladly pay for parking. Welcome to the magnificent madness that is the pinball hobby.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

(pic posted for confirmation that I’m a real person)

Fake News! That's not you, that's a pic of Mark Goddard who played Major Don West in the original Lost In Space series, he just put on a little weight over the years

Hey and here's a pic of me so you know I'm telling the truth!

Dr. Smith (resized).jpgDr. Smith (resized).jpg
    #221 4 years ago

Hey Dr. Smith,

Great meeting you, Major West, and the Robot in Florida! Wish you were still with us.

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Welcome to the hobby thetendertilt. Pinside is a great site, and can be a tremendous resource as others have said. Sometimes it’s easy to get sucked into the BS of it. I admittedly do sometimes myself.
    Although it can be quirky from a mechanical standpoint, if you want a game that really gives you a challenge and can kick you every time you step up to it...grab a BSD. (pic posted for confirmation that I’m a real person) [quoted image]

Thanks for proving your a real person, with out the photo proof all of your comments would have been considered fraudulent. Ive seen the thread about bringing home their new games! One day ill get the pleasure of posting in there! Got to work on my busted games right now.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Curious have you made any progress with your STTNG?

I have not yet. Ive read what you guys have been saying and will need to look at it and get some supplies. Im making an order for plastics and all kinds of tiny misc pieces so ill grab some soldering stuff as well and see what I can figure out about the GI. My friends coming down at the end of the month so ill wait till after incase I mess some shit up so we can still play it haha.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Welcome thetendertilt

Thanks for the input! Pinball is and should be fun! As long as we can all remember that then were good to go! Ive bought games purely on my enjoyment from playing them, hence the #x-files in the collection Right now learning what pieces are for fixing a game is the most strenuous!

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Thanks! Ill have to get into that one then, just to make sure its not the issue. Thats honestly the only thing I can see wrong with it. IDK what im looking at thought soooo

#226 4 years ago

Glad to see you didn't disappear. Remember to take lots of photos when taking stuff apart and small gauge solder is your friend for intricate stuff.

#227 4 years ago

I have not yet. Ive read what you guys have been saying and will need to look at it and get some supplies. Im making an order for plastics and all kinds of tiny misc pieces so ill grab some soldering stuff as well and see what I can figure out about the GI. My friends coming down at the end of the month so ill wait till after incase I mess some shit up so we can still play it haha.

You live very close to a great pinball restorer and fellow pinsider...Brandon Haney
    Big70
    Big70

If you have any issues, I recommend reaching out to him.

#228 4 years ago

Thanks! Ill have to get into that one then, just to make sure its not the issue. Thats honestly the only thing I can see wrong with it. IDK what im looking at thought soooo

Yes take lots of pics more the better so you can always go back too them if you get stuck and mark everything with tape 1 and 1 and so on so you know where it goes back where it should enjoy pinball ask it should happy flipping

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

You live very close to a great pinball restorer and fellow pinsider...Brandon Haney
    Big70
    Big70

Thats good to hear! Thanks for the info!

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Big70
    Big70

I'll also vouch for him.

#231 4 years ago

Thats good to hear! Thanks for the info!

Quoted from Frax:

I'll also vouch for him.

His company is "Oldies but Goodies"
    Here is his website:

http://www.oldiesbutgoodiespinball.com/

#232 4 years ago

+1. As will I. Brandon Haney is a stand-up guy. (Didn't mean to rhyme, but I'll take it.)

3 weeks later
    #233 4 years ago

Welcome! Have you played in any tournaments yet or are you just having fun collecting?

2 years later
    #235 2 years ago

So who started this troll account? Long gone?

#236 2 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

So who started this troll account? Long gone?

Maybe, maybe not a troll.

If you look in the community lots (20+) of people join each day and I feel like most of the posts on pinside are from a select 50-75 users.

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Maybe, maybe not a troll.
    If you look in the community lots (20+) of people join each day and I feel like most of the posts on pinside are from a select 50-75 users.

hmmm

1 year later
    #238 9 months ago

Where have you been?

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/room-for-one-more-a-girl-amp-a-hobby/page/5?hl=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.